The Trump Shutdown

14 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is one of the dumber things I've ever seen posted here.

One of the few just and proper functions of the federal government is the protection of our sovereignty which is defined by our national defense, enforcement of our national borders, and our immigration and naturalization policies.  This is the case because it is literally the entire purpose of the nation state, and a nation state cannot exist without these things.

The Fifth Amendment addresses this exact situation with the language:  "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

This is entirely different, in every conceivable way from being forced to purchase a commodity by the government against one's will.

Your argument is, quite literally, "since the government enjoys the just power to compel some behaviors, it must enjoy the just power to compel all behaviors," which is a stupid argument.

Nice try, but this is a clownish attempt to make a senseless political stunt into a high minded endeavor. The wall is pure political theatre, nothing more. If Libertarian are against anything, they are against attempts by politicians to further their own political ends by using the public trough. Thanks for demonstrating--in a very sophomore way--the bankruptcy of your libertarian beliefs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wait, that was your answer? I legit thought you were shitposting.

Wait, you really think that because Trump-tard says it's Schumer's fault now, it's his? That "I'll be proud to shut down the government" is no longer lil Baby Donny's fault because decided to pull a bait and switch at the last moment and now gets to pout.

AHAHAHAHAHA...my god, you were serious

First, I thank God you're ok. I was worried because it was your post, you spoke emphatically and with strong opinions then seemed to wander off into the shadows as matters evolved.  That would reflect a shallowness rarely seen. 

I really wanted your feedback and your reply of "TRUMP" leaves me much to comtemplate.  Now, the shutdown can be avoided, Schumer can help, and Pelosi looks like she's out of touch.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  You've given me much to consider. I always thought it was pretty complicated, but yeah, "TRUMP!" Is pretty deep. 

37 minutes ago, ALF said:

You mean raise the debt ceiling in order to have massive tax cuts ?

The federal government should seek to tax citizens and business as little as possible and it should also seek to spend not more than it collects in taxes more often than not.  Funny thing though that the spending side is almost never reviewed and addressed.   

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

The federal government should seek to tax citizens and business as little as possible and it should also seek to spend not more than it collects in taxes more often than not.  Funny thing though that the spending size is almost never reviewed and addressed.   

Spending $trillions on 2 unnecessary wars , outsourcing good wage manufacturing jobs that paid income taxes replaced by min wage. 

For the life of me I don't understand why the Democrats do not give Trump his wall money.  They are once again desperately trying to win a battle at the cost of the war. 

It's a win-win.  Trump shuts up about his wall and the Democrats can claim they are pro-border security.  They get that table chip to negotiate whatever it is they want to do with Obamacare.  

All it takes is a single case of an illegal immigrant murdering an American citizen, scenes on the televison of a caravan just streaming into the United States unabated or a gunfight between cartels and American law enforcement to turn that into an absolute disaster for the Democrats in the run-up to the 2020 election.  

• Like (+1) 3

I always understood "Mexico's going to pay for the wall" to mean, we're going to appropriate and authorize it up front and recoup the cost through tax/tariff/fee/lower enforcement costs"

Rather than "Don's going to hand their president an invoice.

Because I'm not stupid.

Would Democrats vote to end the filibuster if McConnell put it on the floor? Maybe!

Edited by B-Man
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

I always understood "Mexico's going to pay for the wall" to mean, we're going to appropriate and authorize it up front and recoup the cost through tax/tariff/fee/lower enforcement costs"

Because I'm not stupid.

image.jpeg.9c1d66dcaec961c6bcead6b7677ac91b.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Because I'm not stupid.

Would Democrats vote to end the filibuster if McConnell put it on the floor? Maybe!

And I always understood "you can keep your doctor" to mean "if the bill passes the way it is presented, rather than carved apart to appease lunatics on the right, you will be able to continue seeing whatever doctor you want".  But, you know how that goes...

It is nice that you can make up a narrative that helps you feel better about your blind support for this garbage of an administration.  You may have understood it the way you did...but its' not what he said...and it certainly isn't the way he acted when he first took office.  He worked his con-man magic into his blind followers lowering their expectations of him... 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Lol. I would be shocked if 1% of people who think that the wall is a terrible idea lived in gated communities.

Mostly because it's a special kind of stupid to believe that dreck. 

Step up and volunteer to take some of these caravan illegals into your house, feed them, pay for their medical, pay all their bills until they can become legalized citizens. 

C'mon you can do it, step up, take them in, you won't, WHAT, you wouldn't feel safe or can't afford it, typical all talk stupid liberal!

20 minutes ago, Buftex said:

And I always understood "you can keep your doctor" to mean "if the bill passes the way it is presented, rather than carved apart to appease lunatics on the right, you will be able to continue seeing whatever doctor you want".  But, you know how that goes...

:lol:  That's ludicrous.  

• Like (+1) 1

:lol: 3

BuftexTiberius and peace out reacted to this

Hey look at that !  .....................I got a Lib lemming Trifecta...........:thumbsup:

What could validate my reply more, than having these three misinterpret it.................lol

That's okay guys, Jesus loves you, but the rest of the board is laughing at you.

Edited by B-Man
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Because I'm not stupid.

I always understood it as "I'm going to make Mexico give us money to pay for the wall."

Because even though I'm not stupid, Trump is.  

• Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, B-Man said:

:lol: 3

BuftexTiberius and peace out reacted to this

Hey look at that !  .....................I got a Lib lemming Trifecta...........:thumbsup:

What could validate my reply more, than having these three misinterpret it.................lol

That's okay guys, Jesus loves you, but the rest of the board is laughing at you.

Whatever... a weak response from a Trump loon...I am crushed... I don't laugh at you, I cringe at the lengths you will go to feel good about supporting this nonsense...

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

It is nice that you can make up a narrative that helps you feel better about your blind support for this garbage of an administration.  You may have understood it the way you did...but its' not what he said...and it certainly isn't the way he acted when he first took office.  He worked his con-man magic into his blind followers lowering their expectations of him... 

Do you specifically try to demonstrate your ignorance? The ACA was passed by democrats only after some were bribed to vote for it. The republicans didn't even get to read it before the vote. Dumbass.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

That's because you have no understanding of cause and effect or how markets work.

This might be the dumbest thing you've ever said.

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's because you have no understanding of cause and effect or how markets work.

This might be the dumbest thing you've ever said.

I was parodying B-Mans *****...he knew what Trump meant, even though it wasn't what he said.  We can all hear things the way we want to.

Edited by Buftex

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

Senate vote on whether to proceed    43  yes         45  no

holding vote open for Senators to return to DC .  I'll bet they won't be happy Trump pulled this.

Can you link? Last I saw it was 50 50 with pence casting the tie vote to proceed

Just now, Gary M said:

Give it some time, it's not like they would just write a check.

Once that wall is up all those that we send back will be Mexico's problem.

Good, let's give it some time then. Why shut down the government over something that's going to get paid for anyway? 

32 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Can you link? Last I saw it was 50 50 with pence casting the tie vote to proceed

I wonder what i'm watching live on CSPAN 2   ?     44 yes      46 no       now

Edited by ALF

This whole thing is highly amusing to me.  Trump wants to nuke the filibuster in the Senate just for a small portion of wall funded not too concerned about the long term consequences.  He changes his mind at the last second as Senators already went home since he agreed with McConnel before the Senate passed the CR deal earlier in the week.   

Democrats are fine with ground censors, radar, and increased border security personnel but a wall is racist.  Outgoing congressional Republicans who wouldn't have voted for the spending bill voted for it knowing it won't pass to stick it to Pelosi.  Competing gofundme accounts raising money for the wall (may have a problem with private property there) on one side and ladders to get over the nonexistent wall on the other is actually getting a lot of money.  I fully expect a food fight in the US Capitol building cafeteria at the end of all of this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

then he would be quite honest in referring to himself as a "dipschiff".

Also a dipshit

Damn typo. I had to double check as while the other poster may be your afternoon liberal booty call, he has shown the propensity to be a weasle in the past.  

Yes, I meant that I'm fairness. I am not a doctor. I am a dipschiff. And I'm a dispshit. 

But, I don't dodge questions, so there is always that. 

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Damn typo. I had to double check as while the other poster may be your afternoon liberal booty call, he has shown the propensity to be a weasle in the past.  

Yes, I meant that I'm fairness. I am not a doctor. I am a dipschiff. And I'm a dispshit. 

But, I don't dodge questions, so there is always that. 

I also don't rattle off nonsensical drivel, but hey, you do you. 

34 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I also don't rattle off nonsensical drivel, but hey, you do you. 

I used plain language to inquire as to your thoughts, in fact some were words you used yourself. At first you thought it was shitposting, then you didn't, then you answered but now it seems you didn't understand any of it.  Maybe in retrospect not answering was your better play.

You're all over the page emotionally, so I'll leave you to your deep thinking.  I guess this is where I use the Miley Cyrus line...so, uh, you do you, too.