The Ringer calls Josh Allen "America's Most Mobile Mountain"

Sorry if this is posted.  Didn't see it.  It's clear many are still pretty steadfast with one foot out the door on the Allen and use his "inaccuracy" as the excuse, but people are coming around to him being an incredibly unique, special talent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/7/18129857/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-rushing-quarterback

Learning to Love Josh Allen, America’s Most Mobile Mountain

We first learned that Allen had moves in Week 3 when Buffalo trounced Minnesota. That was when he hurdled Anthony Barr—typically a feat for 5-foot-9 running backs, not Allen, a giant football catapult.

A big-bodied QB bulldozing defenders is one thing, but here’s a 45-yard run, the longest by any quarterback this season.

Getting crossed up by a 6-foot-5 quarterback is embarrassing enough. But worse for Alonso? Allen routinely outran him in the open field.

As middle linebacker, Alonso was the player primarily responsible for ensuring Allen didn’t bust out for any major runs. Allen basically pretended Alonso wasn’t there most of the time, busting out three 20-yard runs. Of Allen’s nine carries, seven went for first downs.

I’m not quite sure where this came from. Allen displayed modest mobility in college, never had more than 75 yards rushing in a game, and ran a 4.75 40-yard dash at the combine. Combine speeds, of course, aren’t everything. But now he’s legitimately outsprinting pro linebackers in the open field.

Watching Allen’s stunning running has been quite a trip for me, considering I bashed Allen repeatedly in the pre-draft process. But I still feel somewhat justified in that: Allen is exactly the passer we thought he’d be coming out of college. He’s capable of a few incredible throws a game—and holy cow, are they good throws.

I thought Allen’s first-round draft status was a major disappointment, a failure of the league to properly interpret the data and information available to it. I was upset he was in the league at the expense of more talented players. But now that I’ve seen Allen run and fly, I’m willing to dial that back a notch. I still don’t think he’s good, but I’m certainly glad a player with these unique traits is in the pros.

• Like (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sorry if this is posted.  Didn't see it.  It's clear many are still pretty steadfast with one foot out the door on the Allen and use his "inaccuracy" as the excuse, but people are coming around to him being an incredibly unique, special talent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/7/18129857/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-rushing-quarterback

We first learned that Allen had moves in Week 3 when Buffalo trounced Minnesota. That was when he hurdled Anthony Barr—typically a feat for 5-foot-9 running backs, not Allen, a giant football catapult.

A big-bodied QB bulldozing defenders is one thing, but here’s a 45-yard run, the longest by any quarterback this season.

Getting crossed up by a 6-foot-5 quarterback is embarrassing enough. But worse for Alonso? Allen routinely outran him in the open field.

As middle linebacker, Alonso was the player primarily responsible for ensuring Allen didn’t bust out for any major runs. Allen basically pretended Alonso wasn’t there most of the time, busting out three 20-yard runs. Of Allen’s nine carries, seven went for first downs.

I’m not quite sure where this came from. Allen displayed modest mobility in college, never had more than 75 yards rushing in a game, and ran a 4.75 40-yard dash at the combine. Combine speeds, of course, aren’t everything. But now he’s legitimately outsprinting pro linebackers in the open field.

Watching Allen’s stunning running has been quite a trip for me, considering I bashed Allen repeatedly in the pre-draft process. But I still feel somewhat justified in that: Allen is exactly the passer we thought he’d be coming out of college. He’s capable of a few incredible throws a game—and holy cow, are they good throws.

I thought Allen’s first-round draft status was a major disappointment, a failure of the league to properly interpret the data and information available to it. I was upset he was in the league at the expense of more talented players. But now that I’ve seen Allen run and fly, I’m willing to dial that back a notch. I still don’t think he’s good, but I’m certainly glad a player with these unique traits is in the pros.

Lost in all this

Should have been up around 275 yards passing and had 2 touchdowns flat dropped in this game.....what would have given him what.......5 TDs on the day?

All this with no running game.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ringer?

Who the f is he/she and why should any of us care?

No offense, OP.....but if the guy is some idiot with a blog that has no credentials, who really gives a flying *****?

It’s Bill Simmons’ new site. Been around for a few years.

He started it when ESPN fired him and they kept the rights to Grantland.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

31 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ringer?

No offense, OP.....but if the guy is some idiot with a blog that has no credentials, who really gives a flying *****?

That's kinda funny. I got about half way through the article, really diggin' the story, when it dawned on me that for all I know, this writer is really my first wife using a different name. I'm a homer, so he sort of writes what I want to read. I especially agree with his highlight of Allen's endzone throw to Zay Jones as a masterful highlight.

Then I look and think  "What the hell is The Ringer?" and "Who the hell is Rodger Sherman?" before I remind myself that it doesn't really matter whatever the hell they are, because they're not the two-loonie Landing Strip dancer across the bridge known as ESPN, so I'll take it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ringer?

The Ringer is one of the most popular websites in America for sports/pop culture. It gets 15 million+ view a month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ringer_(website)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, that the Ringer is "legit" or not, I agree with the article. Very deceptive speed. I'm as surprised as anybody - and I like it!

Allen has brought zest and fun back to watching the offense. And it started his very first  throw of preseason! When have so many of us been so excited to watch a second half of a 1st preseason game? And it has gone on since. Seems to me Daboll and him are really starting to get a thing going.

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

The Ringer is one of the most popular websites in America for sports/pop culture. It gets 15 million+ view a month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ringer_(website)

Simmons and Cousin Sal guessing the lines is the only NFL podcast I've consistently listed to over the last 10 or so years.  Always entertaining.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously? :blink:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Then I look and think  "What the hell is The Ringer?" and "Who the hell is Rodger Sherman?" before I remind myself that it doesn't really matter whatever the hell they are, because they're not the two-loonie Landing Strip dancer across the bridge known as ESPN, so I'll take it.

Can we take a moment to reread the bolded? Just read it slowly. Savor it.

3 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ringer?

Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but The Ringer has become pretty huge over the last few years.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Uh what? Why is "inaccuracy" in quotations? You act like he's not definitively inaccurate... 

Also, it's not an excuse, it's reality. Accuracy is important, considering the primary job of the QB is to get the ball to his receivers, and being inaccurate doesn't allow that.

This shouldn't be hard to comprehend. Only Bills fans would somehow convince themselves ACCURACY out of all things, isn't a vital component of a successful QB... Holy s*** people will go to stupid lengths to convince themselves everything is going swimmingly.

8 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ringer?

You mean like Cian fahey or the like?

19 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Uh what? Why is "inaccuracy" in quotations? You act like he's not definitively inaccurate... 

Also, it's not an excuse, it's reality. Accuracy is important, considering the primary job of the QB is to get the ball to his receivers, and being inaccurate doesn't allow that.

This shouldn't be hard to comprehend. Only Bills fans would somehow convince themselves ACCURACY out of all things, isn't a vital component of a successful QB... Holy s*** people will go to stupid lengths to convince themselves everything is going swimmingly.

What an amazing opinion! Note how it’s served with a precious amount of salty rage. I give this post an 8/10 for appropriate levels of irrational hate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Please point out for us the plays in the Miami game that show his inaccuracy. He completed 11 of 12 passes under 20 yards. For the game, he deliberately threw 5 passes away to avoid a sack and completed 64% of all passes he actually tried to get to a receiver. Your takes are nothing more than lazy regurgitations of an overblown narrative. 

Josh Allen's passes are infinitely more accurate than your evaluations of his play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What a big guy, willing to dial back his negative opinion of Allen a notch. Essentially this guy just admitted he's a fool who can't judge talent.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1