Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video from February incident surfaces

YoloinOhio

ESPN: "The team announced the move Friday night. Minutes earlier, the NFL had announced that Hunt, 23, had been placed on the commissioner's exempt list."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this what happened to AP? Something along the lines of he's out of the league until the legal issues are resolved?

Edited by Golden Goat

1 minute ago, Golden Goat said:

ESPN: "The team announced the move Friday night. Minutes earlier, the NFL had announced that Hunt, 23, had been placed on the commissioner's exempt list."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this what happened to AP? Something along the lines of he's out of the league until the legal issues are resolved?

He's out of the league until Goddell removes him from that list. It doesn't necessarily have to coincide with legal issues being resolved. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

He can’t practice or play for any team. He would still be getting paid, if the Chefs hadn’t released him. 

12 minutes ago, greenyellowred said:

Neither the NFL nor the Chiefs knew anything, per published reports:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000994161/article/chiefs-release-kareem-hunt-after-video-surfaces

"Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt," the team said in a statement. "At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately."

[...]

Neither the NFL nor the Chiefs had seen the video before it was released Friday, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport. The NFL made several attempts to obtain it. The hotel said it was corporate policy to only turn over surveillance video to law enforcement. Cleveland Police Dept. public information officer Jennifer Ciaccia confirmed to NFL.com the police did not release the video.

What was written there basically contradicts any belief they didn't know anything. They were aware of the incident and investigated, but did not obtain or view the tape (or they claim they knew nothing of the tape)

16 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I wish the punk all the best in Vince McMahon’s new XFL.

Maybe he kicked her because the Anthem started playing and he thought she was kneeling?

There are no legal issues. No charges were filed 

and no one was hurt. This was investigated by the police and no charges filed. It’s a PR nightmare that’s what it is. No way I would have released him. I would suspend him. Send him to counseling and say we do not condone this type of behavior say he lied to our organization and say this is serious and suspend him. Then get him some help. When things blow over and calm down bring him back after he completed his counseling. Man on man the chiefs are stupid. 

Edited by 1963Billsfan7

34 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Chiefs knew exactly what he did and did nothing about it.

No chance an NFL team in 2018 just relies on an the info they get from an interview with their player to formulate how they'll proceed. They would have investigated, and easily found out there was a tape, and chose to do nothing about it.

If this incident was last week, the Chiefs would look great.

The issue was this incident was in February, and they certainly know exactly what happened and hoped it would stay swept under the rug. Luckily for them player contracts aren't guaranteed and the opportunity cost of keeping him vs cutting them earlier was a no brainer on the football field. 

Yeah I posted later. I'm guessing they had to have known. still the lesser of two evils I guess. This is setting precedent. For a SB contender with everything to lose no less

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

8 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

I don't think so, they just showed on tv the list of players put on the 'Commisioners Exempt List' and only 2 have ever played again out of I believe 6, and it was Greg Hardy and a LB from the Colts. It doidn't include Rice, or Carruth, or Peterson, so this list may be a new term or type of suspension list then what was used before.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You mean other than Tyreek Hill?

Not condoning the "stup" thug behavior, but it seems pretty weak when you think about Jameis Winston pulling down an NFL check, or how years ago Ray Lewis and his crew get into a fight and two guys sprout spontaneous knife wounds and die... no one was guilty and the NFL celebrity continued to play the game.

NFL penalties for criminal acts are not real consistent...seem more aligned with how much negative press they think they will get.

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think so, they just showed on tv the list of players put on the 'Commisioners Exempt List' and only 2 have ever played again out of I believe 6, and it was Greg Hardy and a LB from the Colts. It doidn't include Rice, or Carruth, or Peterson, so this list may be a new term or type of suspension list then what was used before.

Here's the link: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/17/6333759/nfl-exempt-commissioners-permission-list-explanation-adrian-peterson-greg-hardy

You may be right -- It could mean something different today than it did in 2014.

My theory is that Tyreek's Hill presence on the team pushed it over the edge and they had no choice but to release Hunt. People are talking about Hill's incident a lot right now. They didn't need two storms brewing at once and they gave themselves some cover.

22 minutes ago, The Senator said:

As far as a I know, being drunk is not a crime - they were all drunk.  She was squatting because her head had just been driven into the wall.

How bout some drives your head into a wall, then, while you’re disoriented and trying to recover, a 200 pound thug kicks you in the ribs?

You’re just not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you.

Personal attacks are far from necessary, it’s a deflection tactic when losing an argument. Kareem Hunt did not just drive her head into a wall, watch the video again and report back. 

Edited by Bills2ref

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Not condoning the "stup" thug behavior, but it seems pretty weak when you think about Jameis Winston pulling down an NFL check, or how years ago Ray Lewis and his crew get into a fight and two guys sprout spontaneous knife wounds and die... no one was guilty and the NFL celebrity continued to play the game.

NFL penalties for criminal acts are not real consistent...seem more aligned with how much negative press they think they will get.

I think its more about times changing, and this is no longer being accepted or able to be pushed under the rug like before.

What Winston has done is tame compared to some of this other stuff. They just say that in Ray Lewis's case, the courts found him innocent so we wont do anything, and it usually ends there. Now with more social media and backlash/protests becoming more common, even if someone is found innocent in court, it doesn't mean people will just forgive and forget

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

You can only be so ignorant.....

Apparently.  And sadly, there are no winners in this brouhaha. I hope multiple people learned from this debacle and got help as needed.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

Hunt deserves to be cut, but it’s interesting that the police, the only ones supposed to have access to the video, decided not to charge Hunt.  Doesn’t Hunt and the NFL have grounds to sue the crap out of the hotel for leaking the video or do you basically allow the hotel to videotape your every move when you choose to stay there?