Go get Ramsey in the off-season

Billever76

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

no.  Go get offensive weapons in the offseason.  The defense is fine

The Defense is good, but still needs depth across the board (particularly at CB and LB) and a signature pass rusher/edge setter at DE or OLB.

Look at the Jags this year -- went from leading the league in sacks and turnovers to lower tier in both.  The Jags are still a top 5 D in yards allowed but no longer a game-changing D.  The Bills D needs a pass rushing/edge setting game changer in my opinion.  I think Edmunds can develop into this with a shift to the Outside and being replaced with a solid/agile MLB but I don't think they want to move him.  I wish the Bills could have gotten Mack.   I think they will spend either a high pick or $'s bringing someone in...

I agree the focus will be the O -- but the D is not a finished product and staying put likely means regressing.

19 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

But in free agency the OL and WR group is awful. They might get a good C but G and T are going to be awful. Best positions for our needs look like C, TE.

Maybe so, but Ramsey is in his third year, so in this hypothetical scenario presumably you'd have to trade draft picks if you were to acquire him.  That is unless we're playing by Madden rules, in which case we'd just trade them Kelvin Benjamin and a bag of dirty jockstraps and extend his contract by agreeing to pay him in compliments to fluff his enormous ego and cutting him a deal to ensure that he is the next Massengil spokesperson.

4 minutes ago, transient said:

Maybe so, but Ramsey is in his third year, so in this hypothetical scenario presumably you'd have to trade draft picks if you were to acquire him.  That is unless we're playing by Madden rules, in which case we'd just trade them Kelvin Benjamin and a bag of dirty jockstraps and extend his contract by agreeing to pay him in compliments to fluff his enormous ego and cutting him a deal to ensure that he is the next Massengil spokesperson.

Yeah I don't see it happening. It is a player they're missing though. He's like the prototype for that position opposite Tre. It's more likely he's traded for a QB. Carr if Chucky don't want him would be a good trade for both teams.

Edited by CuddyDark

Unnecessary.

The Bills don't lack playmakers in the secondary and if they invested money into the defense in the offseason it will probably be in the pass rush.

If they played from the lead more consistently they could be top 3 in the league in takeaways with the guys they already have. Plus they aren't going to take Tre's money to pay Jalen Ramsey.

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

We currently have the 2nd ranked defense amd the 31st ranked offense...

Can't waste capital on the side of the ball that is already great/dominant at times when we need an entire WR corps, RB stable, and OL from the C to the RT.

I agree.  The best way to improve our defense is to have an offense that can sustain drives to keep our defense fresh.

I don't see the 2nd CB spot as something you use a lot of resources on whether it be $$ or draft picks. 

My first preference would be to entice a veteran on a team friendly deal which I think could be possible.  That is one of the more desirable positions we can offer a veteran player, playing across from Tre, in what looks like it could be a top 5 defense, many veterans could see that as a great landing place for them or one to sign a short cheap deal to boost their stock while playing on a top defense.

Second option for me is trusting McBeane to find a CB2 in the 3rd-5th rounds of the draft...  If you use a 1st rounder, you are almost guaranteeing that you will have to let one of your 1st round CBs walk in Free Agency at some point because you will not sign 2 CBs to 20 million/yr deals.

2 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Ok I know I'm gonna get flamed for this bc of his character and loudmouth,not a process guy etc..BUT could you imagine how good this defense would be??!!!..the new and improved NO FLY ZONE..prob be the top Defense in the league next year 

I don't care for his antics and trash talking, however, I could be swayed if the following happens and McBeane feel he is the answer.

After he comes in and talks to McBean and shows he can be a more team first player.

Of course trade never happens unless he comes over with a reasonable extension after the 5th yr option. And does not cost more than a 3rd which is unlikely anyway unless Jax is dumping talent for peanuts like Beane did to Bills in his first year.

Edited by cba fan

3 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Ok I know I'm gonna get flamed for this bc of his character and loudmouth,not a process guy etc..BUT could you imagine how good this defense would be??!!!..the new and improved NO FLY ZONE..prob be the top Defense in the league next year 

Absolutely not, you can't even be serious with this.

All this talk about how we need to spend only on the O is puzzling.  We have a ton of cap space, their aren’t any elite WRa in FA to pay, no Elite tackles I can see.  

Its easy to say spend it on only the offense, but reality is we won’t be spending all our cap space on O this year as there aren’t any break the bank guys I see us going after.

So we have the room to take on a Ramsey if we wanted to and also still have plenty of room to sign whatever FA offensive guys they coveted.  It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

NOW:  That being said I don’t think Ramsey is someone we “need” to get.  I think between our safeties and Tre we will continue to have a great secondary and we can fill in the other DB spot through draft, or solid guys in FA.  BUT:  I think IF we did grab Ramsey, then we could have serious SB potential if we can get the offense to even moderately improve.  

Teams like Seahawks (almost back to back SB champs) and Broncos in 2015 won the SB with dominant defenses.  Seahawks had a young QB with a solid but not high powered pass attack.  Broncos had worst rated starting QBs that year and the worst statistical performance of a SB winning QB in history.  

The lack of a truly Elite D this season and Fantasy Football has blinded some people with flashy plays and made them forget how much a defense can matter in the playoffs.  

Look at a team like the Chiefs.  The defense is woeful.  That means even a mid level offense can put up a lot of points on them and be competitive in a high scoring game.  Now if that opponent has an Elite defense that can slow the Chiefs down, all of a sudden they are very vulnerable to getting bounced.

Case in point:  2 highest scoring teams in NFL history, the very records Mahomes is trying to chase, combined to score 22 TOTAL points between them in SB losses against stout defensive  teams.  Original record setting Pats (FIFTY TD PASSES, MOSS AND WELKER) scored 14 points against the Giants.  Manning shattered those records in 2013 with FIFTY FIVE TD passes and then got destroyed by Seahawks in 41-8 route in SB.  This whole board before that game moaned constantly how “in today’s game we must have a high powered offense like the Broncos or we can’t win anymore” and then they got trounced.  Same things they are moaning about now.  I’ve heard for years how the game has changed and it’s big passing attack or nothing yet the SB keeps proving that theory wrong.  Brady threw for 500 yards and lost last year because the Pats d was so bad it let a journeyman QB light them up.  

Defense STILL matters in the postseason regardless what anyone says.  So if we got Ramsey I would not be upset at all, he would make this D go from very good to Elite.  

NOTE:  For the record, I am all about going offensive heavy in FA and draft.  I was just saying we have the cap room to do that and still fit Ramsey in as well if they wanted and that could make this D approach Elite levels.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

We are going to have to pay Tre big money in a few years and I'd take him over any other CB in the league, can't pay 2 CB's big money

Yup.

Not to mention the potential impact to your best player if you line up someone across from him making $15m/yr.  He might suddenly start getting impatient with his rookie deal.