Can't help myself but McD cost Peterman a long fruitful career

Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, 87168 said:

the FO can neither identify nor manage QBs. they showed us this much during the off season, and even more so now with the signing and possible start of Matt Barkley.

McD is on his 2nd OC, in his 2nd year as HC. he's not putting anyone on offense in the position to succeed.

That’s a fair point to be sure. Beane has admitted they mismanaged the QB situation. And that’s putting it politely.

But regarding this thread topic, it’s on Peterman, and all players for that matter,  to take advantage of opportunities when they’re given.

Or not.

I have a hard time believing that grown men playing a kid’s game for a living are these fragile little things that need coddling and just fall to pieces if they fail. If Peterman is scarred for life and beyond repair as a QB because he has screwed the pooch in such spectacular fashion, that’s because he doesn’t have the psychological makeup required to overcome that setback. 

1 minute ago, Kevin1778 said:

Peterman will be on the Steelers or Patriots roster next year. And he will look like a completely different QB with a real line and receivers when he gets to play in garbage time. 

Peterman will be in the AAF or the XFL.  He's not an NFL caliber QB. 

1 hour ago, Tazor Face said:

How many of us bust our ***** to be competent at our jobs and will never see the money that Peterman has over 2 years while being the worst qb the league has ever seen...lifes not fair

Yes, using the fact that Peterman makes more money than you to point out lifes not fair makes total sense. You posting that from your phone or computer that someone put together for $1 an hour while working a 16 hour shift is beyond comical.

Edited by Kevin1778

14 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

My best summary of Nate Peterman is that he has the arm of Chad Pennington and the self-confidence of Brett Favre. This combination leads to a lot of turnovers and bad decisions with the ball.

He makes dumb decisions on a regular basis with the prime example being his cowardly run out of bounds instead of throwing a Hail Mary (down 28-0) to the end zone at the end of the 1st half last week against the Bears.  I think that was McDermott's last straw. 

How is that I just know everyone making fun of this idea in this thread will be screaming for Josh Allen to get a 5th, 6th, and 7th chance in the future!  

And there will be many threads talking about he was "ruined", had no supporting cast around him, deserves another shot, blah blah blah.

Very predictable.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He makes dumb decisions on a regular basis with the prime example being his cowardly run out of bounds instead of throwing a Hail Mary (down 28-0) to the end zone at the end of the 1st half last week against the Bears.  I think that was McDermott's last straw. 

Hail Mary?  That would of been one air'd out wobbly ball.....may not have even reached the end zone.....

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JPP said:

Hail Mary?  That would of been one air'd out wobbly ball.....may not have even reached the end zone.....

2) What’s next for Nathan Peterman?
- With the decision to bench Nathan Peterman now for the third time by this coaching staff, it certainly seems like a bit of finality could be on the way between the two parties. Even in extended opportunities, Peterman is a turnover magnet that can’t push the ball down the field well enough without a distinct fear of a turnover on the same play. It’s no wonder why that head coach Sean McDermott spoke in curious terms twice this week. On Monday, McDermott was asked if Peterman would be the starter if both Josh Allen and Derek Anderson couldn’t play, to which he agreed — but with a peculiar caveat at the end. “At this point in time.” That sent the flares up right from the start of the week. Then, on Friday, when asked to confirm that it would be Peterman playing in that same scenario, McDermott was non-committal. He wanted to focus on Josh Allen and his availability rather than discuss any of the other options. That screamed that something was amiss, and now it’s confirmed, with Peterman getting benched once again. This game is now the second time in under one month that the team benched Peterman in favor of a quarterback that had all of six practices with the Bills to his name. The signs are ominous at best for Peterman and his stay on the active roster. As long as either Josh Allen or Derek Anderson is healthy enough for that November 25 game, logic indicates that the team will release Peterman. Even before the Bears loss, I thought there was a strong chance that they could bring him back to the practice squad once he clears waivers. But now with another strike against the young quarterback and the perception that follows him, it might just be best for all parties to move on for good.

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

2) What’s next for Nathan Peterman?
- With the decision to bench Nathan Peterman now for the third time by this coaching staff, it certainly seems like a bit of finality could be on the way between the two parties. Even in extended opportunities, Peterman is a turnover magnet that can’t push the ball down the field well enough without a distinct fear of a turnover on the same play. It’s no wonder why that head coach Sean McDermott spoke in curious terms twice this week. On Monday, McDermott was asked if Peterman would be the starter if both Josh Allen and Derek Anderson couldn’t play, to which he agreed — but with a peculiar caveat at the end. “At this point in time.” That sent the flares up right from the start of the week. Then, on Friday, when asked to confirm that it would be Peterman playing in that same scenario, McDermott was non-committal. He wanted to focus on Josh Allen and his availability rather than discuss any of the other options. That screamed that something was amiss, and now it’s confirmed, with Peterman getting benched once again. This game is now the second time in under one month that the team benched Peterman in favor of a quarterback that had all of six practices with the Bills to his name. The signs are ominous at best for Peterman and his stay on the active roster. As long as either Josh Allen or Derek Anderson is healthy enough for that November 25 game, logic indicates that the team will release Peterman. Even before the Bears loss, I thought there was a strong chance that they could bring him back to the practice squad once he clears waivers. But now with another strike against the young quarterback and the perception that follows him, it might just be best for all parties to move on for good.

Its weird that McD has this what i believe now is obvious blind faith in a terrible QB......I really dont get it and now it has diminished i think most peoples opinion that this guy should not be in charge in evaluating offensive players...especially the QB position (if he is the one that makes the actual call?).........im sure the burners have been turned up quite a bit......week 10 and looking back at this entire mess in the position along with the rest of the offence is not pretty to see....

The fact that people are still willing to defend Peterman says it all about this board. A lot of people talk about the worst QB in league history, Peterman has the stats to put him in that argument, and at a time when offense dominates the league. It's pathetic. Mullins in San Fran stepped in and played. Peterman stepped in and failed. And while the jury is out on Allen because of the elbow, these games after the bye he needs to show some signs of life. Otherwise there might need to be another draft pick spent, another veteran signed. Shame too, the defense is great this year. With even a half way competent offense we'd be talking about playoffs again.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

How is that I just know everyone making fun of this idea in this thread will be screaming for Josh Allen to get a 5th, 6th, and 7th chance in the future!  

And there will be many threads talking about he was "ruined", had no supporting cast around him, deserves another shot, blah blah blah.

Very predictable.

It is totally different. Josh Allen was universally viewed as a top 10 pick. He was considered raw. He will get every chance to show that he isn’t good enough. He may be good, he may not.

Peterman was picked after 190 other guys. He was an extreme long shot that has already gotten WAY more opportunities than a guy of his pedigree and performance warrant. Jeff Tuel only got one chance and performed way better. Peterman is much closer as a prospect to Tuel than to Allen.

14 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And probably millions of dollars by playing him and making him a whipping boy/punchline.

Looking at the list of NFL back-ups and third-stringers, NP could well have been a very competent back-up QB and one of the greatest pre-season practise players of all-time.  Four years as a back-up with almost no NFL playing time and yes maybe he would have learned, watched and then was given an opportunity much more mature and capable.  Maybe he would have succeeded.

Look at his predecessor Tyrod Taylor.

Very simply I feel somewhat sorry for Peterman and blame McD for creating this sham that all started with him and his dismantling of the O in 2017 and the terrible offensive coaching and playcalling.

They are to blame for putting Peterman in when he wasn't ready and not giving him the tools (players and schemes) to succeed and ruining what as said could have been a nice career as a buck-up.

OMG, we cut Jeff Tuel way to early!!!!I  If we had kept him he would be ready to start this week.

14 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And probably millions of dollars by playing him and making him a whipping boy/punchline.

Looking at the list of NFL back-ups and third-stringers, NP could well have been a very competent back-up QB and one of the greatest pre-season practise players of all-time.  Four years as a back-up with almost no NFL playing time and yes maybe he would have learned, watched and then was given an opportunity much more mature and capable.  Maybe he would have succeeded.

Very simply I feel somewhat sorry for Peterman and blame McD for creating this sham that all started with him and his dismantling of the O in 2017 and the terrible offensive coaching and playcalling.

They are to blame for putting Peterman in when he wasn't ready and not giving him the tools (players and schemes) to succeed and ruining what as said could have been a nice career as a buck-up.

I say this in the kindest was possible.   You are delusional.

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You're crazy. His arm reminds me of Chad Pennington after he had surgery. Peterman does not belong in the NFL. 

@Billsfan1972 yo Aaron Rodgers never played for 3 years. That's sorta the backup we want at best. Not the polar opposite. And oh did Favre and Brady missed millions on money and fame putting in a starting spot too early. Nope! They were good Quarterbacks! Poor poor Pete. Coulda been the best practice preseason QB ever. Heard that's better than having a good backup when his number is called

17 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He's been playing football since pee wee leagues up until being drafted in the NFL, either you have it or you don't, those out passes that took an eternity to get to the opposite teams CB are what did him in plus he has no zip on the ball and can't read defenses.

21 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

There is still hope for him! Look at Todd Collins. He was our starter and played horribly after that he went on for more than a decade of collecting paychecks sitting on the bench. Never let go of your dreams!

Peterman is no Todd Collins!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/10/2018 at 8:49 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Are you Nathan Petermans dad or his high school football coach?

On 11/10/2018 at 8:49 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't worry. He'll get a chance to prove himself again--he'll get hired as a third of fourth training camp arm--by some team with the tools.

Though, result will be the same:

32 starters + 32 backups +  6 fringe players = 70 NFL quality QB's exist in this world.

Nate is probably #80

The no namer starting for the Bills today is probably #85

3 minutes ago, boater said:

Don't worry. He'll get a chance to prove himself again--he'll get hired as a third of fourth training camp arm--by some team with the tools.

Though, result will be the same:

32 starters + 32 backups +  6 fringe players = 70 NFL quality QB's exist in this world.

Nate is probably #80

The no namer starting for the Bills today is probably #85

Nothing that great about Barkley, but he's already demonstrated in his career that he's better than Peterman. 

59 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was a tongue in cheek post..  I blame McD for the mess and was only commenting if Peterman remained on the bench, where he belonged how long would his career have lasted.

I appreciate the clarification. 

If only Peterman could have remained an anonymous backup never pressed into service, forever. There have been QBs who’ve made careers as backups never seeing the field except in mop up duty. 

I dont fault McD too much for trying to get a spark out of the team when he started Peterman in SD. It didn’t work out and McD ended the experiment after that disastrous half of football.

But unless Peterman is the epitome of the Jekyll and Hyde persona, where he is lights out as a practice player and gives the coaches hope he can translate that to games, then McD and Co. deserve to be called out for their total inability to see his talent for what it truly is. 

And that is VERY concerning moving forward.

Edited by K-9

56 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was a tongue in cheek post..  I blame McD for the mess and was only commenting if Peterman remained on the bench, where he belonged how long would his career have lasted.

But his career shouldn't have ever lasted haha. This is a good thing we're not paying him a dime to be worse than useless backup.... Wait he's still getting paid isn't he 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There have been QBs who’ve made careers as backups never seeing the field except in mop up duty. 

A few.. and if the starter goes down they're exposed and it's the coaches/GM's ***es on the line, and total team tire fire if Peterman goes in. That's why the Ty Detmers of the world were competent in their few games starting. Every coach in their right mind wants a backup that can play in relief lol, ask McCarthy about Brett Hundley being his chosen backup. He done messed up.

He didn't cost Nate a LONG career, but I'm sure he did take some $$$ out of his pocket by aggressively accelerating his career and exposing him in the manner he did.

Nate would have been better off had he been hidden in the background for a while, holding a clipboard.

But eventually even that wouldn't have lasted.  

Ask EJ Manuel what I'm talking about.

45 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

A few.. and if the starter goes down they're exposed and it's the coaches/GM's ***es on the line, and total team tire fire if Peterman goes in. That's why the Ty Detmers of the world were competent in their few games starting. Every coach in their right mind wants a backup that can play in relief lol, ask McCarthy about Brett Hundley being his chosen backup. He done messed up.

Right, which is why I’m referring to that “few” who never see the light of day except in mop up duty and sparing themselves and their coaches the full exposure to their total lack of ability as a QB. 

One would think that seeing their work in practice on a day to day basis would be enough to clue them in, but apparently not in some cases.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Right, which is why I’m referring to that “few” who never see the light of day except in mop up duty and sparing themselves and their coaches the full exposure to their total lack of ability as a QB. 

One would think that seeing their work in practice on a day to day basis would be enough to clue them in, but apparently not in some cases.

Sounded like you were saying you would have wanted that for Peterman. Not sure your stand. I just want the right talent getting paid, not backups wrongfully paid on the basis they never see the field and coaches are too dumb to know they're an injury away from starting a horrible Quarterback.

I'm pro Bell and anti Peterman. A game literally funded to be entertainment should have merit based contracts not dumb luck landing somewhere where you are horrible and backing up Eli Manning or somebody his whole career.

Tyrod was apparently an excellent QB should Flacco have gone down. And he'd have deserved every penny backing up Flacco as opposed to hypothetical Pete.

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Sounded like you were saying you would have wanted that for Peterman. Not sure your stand. I just want the right talent getting paid, not backups wrongfully paid on the basis they never see the field and coaches are too dumb to know they're an injury away from starting a horrible Quarterback.

I'm pro Bell and anti Peterman. A game literally funded to be entertainment should have merit based contracts not dumb luck landing somewhere where you are horrible and backing up Eli Manning or somebody his whole career.

Tyrod was apparently an excellent QB should Flacco have gone down. And he'd have deserved every penny backing up Flacco as opposed to hypothetical Pete.

Once the OP clarified that his post was tongue in cheek, I understood. My response was also tongue in cheek.

But I’ll be serious for a moment: Peterman has not taken advantage of his opportunity and has shown himself to be lacking, to say the last. The coaching staff apparently sees that, too. Finally. As I said, unless Peterman is the greatest practice QB in history, it’s beyond concerning it took the staff this long. Unless Barkley gets hurt and barring further injuries the remainder of the season, we’ve seen the last of Peterman and today will be his last day in a Bills uni. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Once the OP clarified that his post was tongue in cheek, I understood. My response was also tongue in cheek.

But I’ll be serious for a moment: Peterman has not taken advantage of his opportunity and has shown himself to be lacking, to say the last. The coaching staff apparently sees that, too. Finally. As I said, unless Peterman is the greatest practice QB in history, it’s beyond concerning it took the staff this long. Unless Barkley gets hurt and barring further injuries the remainder of the season, we’ve seen the last of Peterman and today will be his last day in a Bills uni. 

Well sir.. he just might be the greatest practice quarterback in NFL history. The GOAT

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bon Voyage!

Bears defense >>>>>>>>>> Jets defense.

Again shameful by McDermott to make Peterman play the toughest defenses. The receivers couldn't get any seperation or catch.

The Jets defense is absolutely pathetic today. Even the running game is going wild. Peterman would be picking them apart too.