Opposing Fan Ettiquete

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Does this train of thought apply to movie theaters as well? 

Igotchobutteredbucketofpopcornritehea

Words don’t hurt me, man.  I can deal with any taunting/name calling peacefully.  If you throw things at or put hands on me and/or my loved ones, however, prepare to feel the wrath.  

#illturnyourteethintobloodychicklets

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Words don’t hurt me, man.  I can deal with any taunting/name calling peacefully.  If you throw things at or put hands on me and/or my loved ones, however, prepare to feel the wrath.  

#illturnyourteethintobloodychicklets

I agree...from my experiences the ones with the biggest mouths are the first to bail/buckle when it comes time to dance. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I love going to away games..and just like at the Cap...have never been in a fight or even close to a fight. I walk away/ignore pretty easy. I cheer like crazy too, but dont point at anyone or talk chit on the other team.. ..i cheer for Buffalo.

As an aside, by FAR the worst fans in the whole world are Pats fans @ Bills games. I've been to plenty of games in Foxborough, and always have a good time and enjoy the fans. But the ones who come to Buffalo are a different sort..and I swear for  some of them I might not call security if they were getting the snot beat out of them in the bathroom. Well, i know I would call, but I would certainly not try to intervene and play peacemaker as I am wont to do with other altercations.

Not to try to one-up you or anything, but Steeler fans are a special breed unto themselves of obnoxious; the first NFL game I ever attended was the MNF shellacking the Bills suffered at the old bowl 3 Rivers Stadium ?  in 1993, 23-0. As a young kid so excited to go watch the Bills play in person for the first time, I was decked out in my Kelly knock off jersey (had to buy it myself so was watching my pennies—still own it of course) and a brand new white Bills hat. During the game was heckled by some drunk clowns which I took in stride, but that same crew turned aggressive after the game and followed me and my friends down the concourse, grabbed my hat while pushing me to the ground from behind, and when one of my friends (who was decked out in Steeler gear) tried to jump in and get the hat back, he was sucker punched and then they were gone, just like that. Of course, security was nowhere to be found until after the fact. Anyway, I realize all fan groups have their bad apples, but Steelers fans are right up there for my money—and I say that even with the good offset of many of my family and friends growing up being Steeler fans.

I've treated every away stadium as if I was at a home bills game. Only had one problem at met life. We got along great with everybody except one security guard. She made up a bunch of crap and tried to kick us out.  The supervisor of the section kept calling my brother and I liars, said the security guard accusing us would never lie she's very honest blah blah blah, made up a bunch of stuff and said were being kicked out. Luckily a bunch of jets fans and the security that actually watched our section  came to our rescue and said that we weren't doing anything wrong and the female security guard was completley lying about everything. 

Security at football games is a complete joke. 

I went to a sports bar in Rochester to watch the Bills-Bengals AFC championship game in '88.  Had the misfortune to sit next to a table full of Cincy fans who were loud and obnoxious.  

Near the end of the game when it was hopeless I started to leave and they started ragging on me: "Aw, poor little Bills fan, can't stand to see your team LOSE???"

To which I said "I'm happy for you that your team won but do you have to act like such ASS HOLES?"

And one of them said "That's half the fun."

Truer words were never said.  

19 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams? Trash talking is part of the fun of being a fan of the sport, but how far is too far? 

The reason I ask is because I was at the Debacle in Houston. I'll admit I'm a loud fan. Yelling on defense, getting excited when we do good, and angry when we play bad. But I've never been disrespectful, and keep foul language to a minimum. Some Texans fans were annoyed by how loud I was when the Bills were on defense, and after the pick six, decided to grab me by the shoulders and violently shake me. I wasn't hurt or anything, but that obviously crossed the line. 

Really, I never even got mad at the Texans, just at the Bills. 

The seasons I share with a buddy at the cap are behind the opposing bench so there are always opposing fans there.  If they smile, exchange some banter and otherwise act decent I don’t care how vocal or into they are.  You can have back and forth fun with those people.  However, putting hands on someone in an uninvited manner is not cool and not acceptable.

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Every football stadium in the NFL is filled with idiots, drunks, and drunken idiots on game day.

So you and I have bumped into each other at games....I really didn’t think you would call me out like that.... :D

21 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams? Trash talking is part of the fun of being a fan of the sport, but how far is too far? 

The reason I ask is because I was at the Debacle in Houston. I'll admit I'm a loud fan. Yelling on defense, getting excited when we do good, and angry when we play bad. But I've never been disrespectful, and keep foul language to a minimum. Some Texans fans were annoyed by how loud I was when the Bills were on defense, and after the pick six, decided to grab me by the shoulders and violently shake me. I wasn't hurt or anything, but that obviously crossed the line. 

Are you certain they did it because your a Bills fan? I ask because I more than once shamed my friend or even a stranger in front of me after a huge play by the Pats.. mind you they were always Pats fan but maybe he just got caught up in the moment?

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

snowballs are allowed

Actually, when I was about 16 or 17, I was thrown out of the Rockpile by security for throwing snowballs at the Dolphins players. In the uncovered end zone, you could reach the field from the top row. Yes, I was wrong. A hard packed snow ball can be like throwing a stone at someone. I could have hit a kid! 

I was a burb block hero for a couple of days among my peers, though! :doh:

Different fan bases at different stadiums ha e completely different expectations.

The PSL in Carolina’s stadium has ruined any chance of a home field advantage. They are referred to by Carolinians as a “ Wine and Cheese” crowd. Houston is a rich city and I’m guessing it might be the same.

I’ve been to numerous Panther’s games, both against the Bills dressed in Bills garb  and as a Panthers fan. It doesn’t matter.

At the Carolina/Patriots preseason game, I was behind a  Panther guy with his 7-8 year old boy. I was cheering the Panthers and using zero vulgarity. The guy was giving me dirty looks and the kid was looking terrified. By the end of the game the kid was raising Cane and fist bumping me but the Dad was still being a little pissy about it.

A Pats fan at the end of my row started shooting his mouth off about “ Towmy” while the Pats were getting killed. I got up and booed him and he shut up. Again, my Carolina friends were giving me grief about not starting a fight which I wasn’t close to doing nor do I think the Pats fan was afraid of.

Rust belt fans are a different breed and ticket prices around d the country dissuade the average guy from going to games.

I live in NYC area and been to 3 Bills away game at Metlife and many Sabres games against Rangers, Islanders and Devils.  I never felt intimidated or scared cheering for away teams.  In Buffalo, Bills fans (many drunk) are very vocal and hostile towards away fans.

3 hours ago, rockpile said:

Actually, when I was about 16 or 17, I was thrown out of the Rockpile by security for throwing snowballs at the Dolphins players. In the uncovered end zone, you could reach the field from the top row. Yes, I was wrong. A hard packed snow ball can be like throwing a stone at someone. I could have hit a kid! 

I was a burb block hero for a couple of days among my peers, though! :doh:

just so it's clear, my post was mostly sarcasm.

I’ve always been pretty even-keeled and respectful at Bills roadies. Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, LA, never had a problem. 

What I don’t like is how angry Bills fans get at opposing fans who aren’t out of line. A couple good buddies of mine flew up from NYC for the Giants game a few years ago, and we were just sitting there calmly discussing the game, and this ham-and-egger in front of us felt the need to chew out my buddy. We have some of the best tailgating in the league, yet you’re going to get all bent out of shape when people want to actually come check it out? Grow up. 

On 10/26/2018 at 11:52 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Anything goes X 1000, ya dig?

On 10/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

If you are going to be loud and boisterous (obnoxious) at an opposing stadium, and making yourself a target, then you need to expect something to happen.

Nothing wrong with cheering or celebrating, but as Bills fans we know what its like to be on the losing side and have stuff rubbed in our face, or even simply be frustrated with losing and poor performance.

We've had opposing fans come into the Bills bar. Those that scream and shout and get in front of the screens to rub stuff in are lucky they only get kicked out. Those that cheer quietly among themselves and show some understanding of being in enemy territory usually have drinks bought for them.

If youre so loud you are annoying other fans, then that's probably on you.

Duuuuuvall guy was borderline over the top, for example

For those not there...In Jax there was a guy who just kept yelling to a group of fans about Duuuuvalll but when engaged for actual debate and back and forth had nothing more to offer. He was singling out the group despite only one of the group yelling or showing energy. I jumped in just to be a dick to him because I'm a jerk.

Otherwise I've heard of instances where I would have done more. One was the Packers at bills years ago and a member posted that his son celebrated a big first down after an INT. The kid was young, under 10 iirc. The woman was a Packers fan sitting behind them and slapped the kids hand down and told him to stop.  That would have led to serious consequences by me that would have either been a law enforcement officer being notified to remove the woman with the threat of charges without a serious apology or me unleashing a flury of hell on them.

I'm not a violent person, and I don't get upset if someone makes contact with me, though.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

I live in NYC area and been to 3 Bills away game at Metlife and many Sabres games against Rangers, Islanders and Devils.  I never felt intimidated or scared cheering for away teams.  In Buffalo, Bills fans (many drunk) are very vocal and hostile towards away fans.

I have no observed this fan behavior disproportionate to other venues.  Generally, with a few exceptions, I have founds Bills fans to be respectful and even accommodating.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/26/2018 at 11:52 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You don't ever put your hands on someone you don't know. That's crossing the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've definitely been in the same situation. I know I'm a little boisterous at games, so I fully expect something like what you experienced, and have gotten that treatment a few times. As long as it's just harmless fun, it doesn't bother me. It crosses the line when it's malicious, and that's an easy distinction to make. I don't get upset just because someone touches me in a playful manner, but I would absolutely tell them off if it were disrespectful or violent. 

• Like (+1) 1