Opposing Fan Ettiquete

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams? Trash talking is part of the fun of being a fan of the sport, but how far is too far? 

The reason I ask is because I was at the Debacle in Houston. I'll admit I'm a loud fan. Yelling on defense, getting excited when we do good, and angry when we play bad. But I've never been disrespectful, and keep foul language to a minimum. Some Texans fans were annoyed by how loud I was when the Bills were on defense, and after the pick six, decided to grab me by the shoulders and violently shake me. I wasn't hurt or anything, but that obviously crossed the line. 

Really, I never even got mad at the Texans, just at the Bills. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Where's the line drawn between friendly banter, and blatant disrespect between fans of rival/opposing teams? Trash talking is part of the fun of being a fan of the sport, but how far is too far? 

The reason I ask is because I was at the Debacle in Houston. I'll admit I'm a loud fan. Yelling on defense, getting excited when we do good, and angry when we play bad. But I've never been disrespectful, and keep foul language to a minimum. Some Texans fans were annoyed by how loud I was when the Bills were on defense, and after the pick six, decided to grab me by the shoulders and violently shake me. I wasn't hurt or anything, but that obviously crossed the line. 

Certainly someone putting their hands on you in that fashion would be crossing the line.  I would have had a big problem with that if I were you.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Certainly someone putting their hands on you in that fashion would be crossing the line.  I would have had a big problem with that if I were you.

Yeah. It was the end of the game, and all my Bills fans friends had left, so I didn't wanna get into a fight where I was obviously outnumbered, and just didn't feel like dealing with security. But I was pissed.

It's pretty much common sense.  Everyone reacts differently to what they see.  You show up in someone else's stadium and make a lot of noise, you should expect out of the hundreds of people within earshot, some percentage of them are going to be pissed off about it and some percentage of those are going to be willing to get in your face (or punch it).

There's a reason you don't walk down a dark alley at night in a bad part of town too.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you are going to be loud and boisterous (obnoxious) at an opposing stadium, and making yourself a target, then you need to expect something to happen.

Nothing wrong with cheering or celebrating, but as Bills fans we know what its like to be on the losing side and have stuff rubbed in our face, or even simply be frustrated with losing and poor performance.

We've had opposing fans come into the Bills bar. Those that scream and shout and get in front of the screens to rub stuff in are lucky they only get kicked out. Those that cheer quietly among themselves and show some understanding of being in enemy territory usually have drinks bought for them.

If youre so loud you are annoying other fans, then that's probably on you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It's pretty much common sense.  Everyone reacts differently to what they see.  You show up in someone else's stadium and make a lot of noise, you should expect out of the hundreds of people within earshot, some percentage of them are going to be pissed off about it and some percentage of those are going to be willing to get in your face (or punch it).

There's a reason you don't walk down a dark alley at night in a bad part of town too.

Yes this can happen, but it shouldn't.  I've encountered plenty of annoying/rude opposing fans in my days as a sports fan, but never thought to physically assault them.  Ignore it if you can, but if you can't inform security.

There also is such a thing as not being so boisterous to the point of being obnoxious when you're the visiting fan.  Cheer for your team, but keep it classy and respectful.  Or else you're just asking for some nut-job to punch you in the face. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Really, I never even got mad at the Texans, just at the Bills. 

Sadly and all too often, that line is a moving target....somewhere between the 3rd beer and the 15th beer. 

Bottom line, say what you want (within reason), but touching someone is WAY over the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

its all fine until some idiots get too drunk and or it turns into a blowout,  

The larger the blowout that bigger the blowhard 

at the Ravens game some ravens fan threw his can of beer "in the trash can" from 3 feet away.  And missed and splashed 4 Bills fans standing nearby,  My wife was one of them but she didn't get the worst of it 

I love going to away games..and just like at the Cap...have never been in a fight or even close to a fight. I walk away/ignore pretty easy. I cheer like crazy too, but dont point at anyone or talk chit on the other team.. ..i cheer for Buffalo.

As an aside, by FAR the worst fans in the whole world are Pats fans @ Bills games. I've been to plenty of games in Foxborough, and always have a good time and enjoy the fans. But the ones who come to Buffalo are a different sort..and I swear for  some of them I might not call security if they were getting the snot beat out of them in the bathroom. Well, i know I would call, but I would certainly not try to intervene and play peacemaker as I am wont to do with other altercations.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been Jax, lambeau, and Indy recently. I just keep it calm and respectful and I’ve never had an issue. Whether you agree with it or not, if you get loud in an opposing stadium, even if you are minding your own business, you are just asking for trouble.

I’m sad to say that the worst gameday experiences I’ve actually had, have come in orchard park bringing family or friends from opposing teams and having to protect them from our own drunk a**hats in the stadium or the walk up to it. 

25 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

thunderpunch to the grundle 

Best grouping of words I’ve read all day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Fong said:

Yeah, I've been to quite a few away games. The older I got the less I felt like dealing with the ***** involved. Never again for me.

Same here. These days you just never know what drunk idiot you are going to run into with some axe to grind. Like the poor Giant fan at a Dodgers’ game a few years back. 

Went to an Eagles@Steelers game in 2012. Few Eagles fans decided to do a dance & mock the Steelers "Here we go Steelers" song after Philly scored a TD. One of the Eagles fan had a beer bottle smashed over his head. The other one had his jaw broken.

When you go into enemy territory, keep your mouth shut .

6 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Went to an Eagles@Steelers game in 2012. Few Eagles fans decided to do a dance & mock the Steelers "Here we go Steelers" song after Philly scored a TD. One of the Eagles fan had a beer bottle smashed over his head. The other one had his jaw broken.

They give out bottles of beer?

Thats asking for things to get whipped into the field or people getting beat with them

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m sad to say that the worst gameday experiences I’ve actually had, have come in orchard park bringing family or friends from opposing teams and having to protect them from our own drunk a**hats in the stadium or the walk up to it. 

Agreed. Our OWN fans are more trouble than the opponents. 

29 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I find that the exact opposite tends to work.

Whenever I've gone to opposing venues, I start out by buying beers for the two people flanking my seat(s).  Usually, I introduce myself and say something like "I gotta warn you, I'm pretty loud, but I promise to be respectful and not use profanity".

Never even came close to having an incident.  In fact, people seem to go out of their way to be friendly to me.

Edited by thebandit27

On the road it's a quiet enjoyment of the hopeful win

For 12 stadiums the only times I saw problems were for Eagles and Giants home games, where small people were attacked without any reason

if two evenly matched rockheads want to go at it, fine by me

Edited by row_33