Tyrod Taylor frustrated by benching, won’t rule out trade request

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

TT may need to start embracing the veteran backup role

I agree, but at the same time it's understandable why he is frustraited given that he probably is somewhere between 20-32nd best QB in the world which suggests he should start. 

As we all know, bottom 1/3rd is not acceptable and teams will look to start worse/unproven guys hoping to get into the top 1/3rd ... but I can't fault him for feeling like he should start when a bunch of guys worse then him have secure starting gigs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dayman said:

I agree, but at the same time it's understandable why he is frustraited given that he probably is somewhere between 20-32nd best QB in the world which suggests he should start. 

As we all know, bottom 1/3rd is not acceptable and teams will look to start worse/unproven guys hoping to get into the top 1/3rd ... but I can't fault him for feeling like he should start when a bunch of guys worse then him have secure starting gigs. 

Oh, I don't blame him for being ticked either.  I just don't see a place where he'd be a long term starter.

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I wouldn't blame him. If he had good talent around him for a change, he'd have his best production to date. He'll never be elite, but he did earn a probowl berth a 2-3 years back.

Half the time the main requirement for a quarterback to earn a pro bowl berth is to have his phone on after about 20 guys declined the call or were injured. I still remember years where guys who were in the pro bowl were out of the league 2-3 years later.

52 minutes ago, The Red King said:

As Buffalo is demonstrating, you don't start a rookie QB without having decent backup.  Taylor's not getting traded.

Some bit of validation in seeing Tyrod continue to be Tyrod after changing teams.

Much has changed since Tyrod first won the Bills starting job.

In the last 3 offseasons 10 QB's have been drafted in round 1........8 in the past two........ and none of them has busted yet............never been more QB talent in the league..........so not a good time to be a guy like Tyrod.  

Basically everyone either has one who has been very good or thinks they have one who can be very good..........which is almost unheard of.

But Tyrod is not the player he was in 2015 or 2016 either.     Not as dynamic as a runner and his once excellent deep ball has abandoned him. 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, Doc said:

Derek Anderson is making less than 1/20th of what Taylor is making this season.  And probably could put up the same stats.

Fewer run yards, I'm betting. But yeah, maybe the passing numbers would be close.

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I wouldn't blame him. If he had good talent around him for a change, he'd have his best production to date. He'll never be elite, but he did earn a probowl berth a 2-3 years back.

A pro bowl berth as an alternate.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, vincec said:

How is Allen developing now that he's injured and on the bench? Maybe facing surgery per this report: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-losing-the-locker-room-with-nathan-peterman-josh-allen-reportedly-facing-tommy-john-like-injury/

You might say that's bad luck but throwing him out there unprepared makes an injury more likely, IMO. That was part of the reason to have a reliable short term starter for a year or so: to get Allen ready.

First, Allen's developing just fine. He was originally expected to red-shirt this year and develop, now he can do that for a few weeks, study defenses, work on mechanics, watch how a vet runs the team, etc.

Second, while you want a reliable short term starter if possible, you absolutely do not want a reliable short term starter who needs to run a different scheme to be successful, and that's Tyrod. You don't have to change the scheme for Anderson or McCarron.

13 hours ago, ngbills said:

Tyrod can keep a team with a good Def in games. If our D is elite like people want to believe he could lead this team to 10-6. 

I sincerely doubt that. 8-8 would be more likely. Last year's schedule turned out to be a really easy one and they squeaked in with that 9-7 a much better OL with Richie and Wood.

In any case, thank God McDermott and Beane value the long-term over the short-term.

I wish the best for Tyrod but don't want him back here where they're trying to build a rhythm passing attack and get past awful cap problems from the Whaley era.

Edited by Thurman#1

Seriously what did he really think would be the end game of his tenure there in front of the #1 overall pick? That it would turn into Favre/Rodgers, with Favre holding Rodgers at bay for years? I watched BF play at the highest level in this league, and you sir, are no Brett Favre...

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

Over the last three games Landry has caught just 11 of 29 passes for 110 yards and a touchdown from Mayfield, well below his career averages for targets and completions.

“I think sometimes ball has gone over his head, we just haven't made the connection,” head coach Hue Jackson said. “Sometimes those balls are being thrown away. Do they need to connect more? Yes, they do.

“They gotta make those plays when those plays present themselves.”

Hue, resident genius who finally coached the Brownies to the opening of the beer lockers across town...HOF bound!

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Much has changed since Tyrod first won the Bills starting job.

In the last 3 offseasons 10 QB's have been drafted in round 1........8 in the past two........ and none of them has busted yet............never been more QB talent in the league..........so not a good time to be a guy like Tyrod.  

Basically everyone either has one who has been very good or thinks they have one who can be very good..........which is almost unheard of.

But Tyrod is not the player he was in 2015 or 2016 either.     Not as dynamic as a runner and his once excellent deep ball has abandoned him. 

I think you misinterpreted my post.  Rereading it, I can see how.  I think Tyrod is a passable backup, nothing more.  I think Cleveland keeps him for that reason.  I was glad to see Tyrod's mediocre play continue in Cleveland, so the people here that blamed the players around him no longer have that excuse.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Second, while you want a reliable short term starter if possible, you absolutely do not want a reliable short term starter who needs to run a different scheme to be successful, and that's Tyrod. You don't have to change the scheme for Anderson or McCarron.

This is true, although Anderson and McCarron are not nearly as good as Taylor so there is a trade off. Players who were better and fit the current pass happy scheme, like McCown, Keenum and Bridgewater, were available

Edited by vincec

18 minutes ago, vincec said:

This is true, although Anderson and McCarron are not nearly as good as Taylor so there is a trade off. Players who were better and fit the current pass happy scheme, like McCown, Keenum and Bridgewater, were available

You shouldn’t use the word good to describe Taylor anymore 

The 19 yard game after last year’s 56 yard games cements that status. 

That guy needs to get a grip. The League has seen the very best he can do on the field and being a #1 on an NFL team isn’t happening. 

He could have a very long career as a capable back up who can win a few games in relief of an injured starter, but that’s the only role he has available for his remaining time in the League. Last thing he should want to do is cry about it. Sears is going out of bidniz. It’s tough out there in the real world..

• Like (+1) 1