This wont go over well...but Sean Mcd is a good coach

Hebert19

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Review Dick Jauron’s record and you will be amazed he got 7 wins too.  SM has a ton of power and bares a huge part of the crappy roster, especially on offense.

Really not a fair take imo. This is not a finished roster and it's pretty obvious. 

2 off-seasons have clearly resulted in a decrease of talent, but you can't judge a house remodel when it's down to the studs. Let the guy put up some walls and fixtures and then judge the roster.

So even though yes he technically "bares a huge part" of it, it's just step 1 in a multi-step process that's not a secret.

• Like (+1) 2

Even while we're remaking this team, he made the playoffs and is 1 game out of 1st in the east after 5 games. I don't know who wouldn't take that. It's early in the season and we're probably still not going anywhere this year, but I thought that last year. He's got my vote so far. It would be fair to see us play next year with more weapons on offense and then judge. 

Edited by Dopey
Spelling

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with his game decisions, actually. After the Colts game punting fiasco last year, I was afraid we had another Marvin Lewis or Mike McCarthy.

but McD shows growth...he’s gone for it on 4th down a few times this year when the game wasn’t yet on the line...that’s promising. 

The D looks pretty good. 

He he really has little to do with the offense...

so, yeah...I think he’s doing well. 

Lol look what Garrett just did! Punted on 4th and 1 from Houston’s 41 in OT. Cowboys never saw the ball again.

im glad we have McD and not someone like Garrett. O’Brien isn’t much better. That whole game was a tutorial on bad football decisions. 

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

He's a phenomenal coach that's made a few mistakes. My issue is when we keep McBeane chained together as one entity when maybe we could see what McDermott can do without a "**** roster".. who gave him that roster ?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Review Dick Jauron’s record and you will be amazed he got 7 wins too.  SM has a ton of power and bares a huge part of the crappy roster, especially on offense.

Like.. does he have all that power on offense? I'm totally fine if he's all controlling on defense.. so long as we have a GM and OC tooling a good offense for McD. McD didn't make the decision to make ZERO improvement to offensive personnell as it's been gutted over 2 years... At least I hope not.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Seriously.  This roster is ****.  We are in full rebuild mode.  Last year too essentially.  Yet this team wins games. 

Give this guy some actual talent and we will be a very good team.  

Yes.  He has some issues.  And yes he shouldn't have anything to do with talent selection but he can coach. 

He adjusts.  Doesn't yet mid game very well.  But game to game he fixes stuff.  Just as he did last year.  

This team should rival the 0 and 16 browns last year yet here we are 2-3 with a green rookie QB a ****ty oline and no wrs.  He deserves some credit. 

Some of us with a clear mind have been saying this all along :) , they have purged all of Whaley/Ryan's rejects, started implementing their own talent through the draft and FA, now will have a plethora of picks to go along with 80+M cap space, we should really know who this team is by next season and what they can really be imo.

This team has quality defensive talent, I don't know why people ignore that aspect when talking about the talent level on this team. Even entering the season the team had a quality secondary, a young LB core with potential, and a decent D-line which added Star and Murphy to it.  Yes it is true that the offensive talent is pretty **** (maybe the worst in the league certainly a bottom 10 or 5 unit) but this team is not the Browns from the past two seasons or the 2008 Lions. That being said McD in my opinion is a good coach, he knows the value of everyone buying into the goal of the team and he knows how to motivate players. 

McD also knows how to keep a team together even after several blowouts. After the 5-2 start when the season could have easily started to get away from the team after the Jets loss and several other losses the team rebounded and won enough games to secure a winning record and with some luck make the playoffs. Even this season after a completely awful loss in Baltimore and a bad loss to the Chargers at home the season could have easily slipped. At 2-3 the Bills are way better record wise than I thought they would be (I thought 0-5 or 1-4 at best.) 

I think coaching wise the team is in good hands. Yes I do have my concerns about offensive play calling and offense in general. But I do think that the defense is in very good hands and that McD does know how to manage the team and its culture very well. I think an NFL coaches job heavily involves how they manager the locker room and team psyche. McD has that component down in my opinion. 

The question with McD is does he have the right philosophy to build a winner in today's NFL?

He seems to be the type of coach who wants to win ugly low scoring games with defense.

Can that work in today's NFL that is more designed for dynamic and innovative offense's? 

Edited by Klaista2k

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

11-10 regular season..I guess that's good..

First years for new head coaches are almost always bad. McDermott had a great first year.

First years with rookie QB's are usually bad. That's what this year is, and we'll see how it goes.

Next year is the big test, I think. The culture and schemes should be established. Allen should be better in year two. A lot more talent should be brought in front FA and the draft. We really should be heading for the playoffs. If not, that's when I start to question.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He has won me over...I am still not 100% sold on some of the personel moves that have been made, but I am not sure how much of that his him, and how much of it is Beane.  I think he has a fair amount of say.  But I trust the guy as a coach. 

7 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Seriously.  This roster is ****.  We are in full rebuild mode.  Last year too essentially.  Yet this team wins games. 

Give this guy some actual talent and we will be a very good team.  

Yes.  He has some issues.  And yes he shouldn't have anything to do with talent selection but he can coach. 

He adjusts.  Doesn't yet mid game very well.  But game to game he fixes stuff.  Just as he did last year.  

This team should rival the 0 and 16 browns last year yet here we are 2-3 with a green rookie QB a ****ty oline and no wrs.  He deserves some credit. 

I agree 100%.  The defense has a great deal of talent,  the offense, not so much.  Sean has done more with less than any coach we have had since the millennium.  Why is the fact that so many on this site discount that we are a playoff teams from last year.   Sean is a solid coach and will only get better.

4 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Somebody just tell him to quit challenge the ball spots unless it is seriously bad.  Any time he has challenged a spot I have never even thought there was a chance it would be overturned. 

Other wise I'm pretty sold on coach he is solid imo

Yesterday the Bills got hosed.  That spot was a good 1/2 yard behind the marker.  

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He's a good leader, but his game-day coaching is suspect.

ya think?  going for it on 4th down in a lollygagging way...then call a time out? i thought for sure they would have took the chip shot fg, but take a time out and then come back and go for it?  i thought there was some big time brain farts including the use of time outs. ....and challenging a spot?  there was only one time out left if i remember correctly.

is it all on mcd? or is there too many spoons in the stew? idk  but if we'd have lost that game, this staff would be getting roasted hard.

Edited by billsredneck1

8 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I agree. I think he’s the best coach we’ve had around here in 2 decades, and it’s not close. I’m more excited about the direction of the team than I can ever remember in my life as a Bills fan.

However, someone needs to take the challenge flags away from him. Please, for the love of God do not let the man challenge.

I don't like the guy, and am glad he's gone, but Marrone is proving to be a good coach and shoots a large hole in your "best in 2 decades".