Derek Anderson to sign with Bills per Mort

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Just heard on NFL countdown per Mort. Expected to sign Monday.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1048958479724101632?s=20

Dang these guys are slow , this was suggested wk 1.

I think these guys are too close to to the situation and have more faith in their players than they should. This is where Bellicheck excells , he can make roster decisions with out emotional interference.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Bye bye Nate?  

Or is this possibly a move to get Allen back to the bench if they feel hes in over his head?

This team is more of a mess than I thought if it's the latter.

I don't think they'll bench Allen, but they need someone on the team who can plausibly finish a game or even take a game when Allen gets his bell rung and goes into the little tent.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Allen getting experience is worth the risk and I don't see any upside to starting Anderson other than not putting Allen out there. Don't get me wrong I can see the argument for having an option to pull Allen if he just looks like he is going to get himself hurt out there. But I think you have to give Allen a few more games to see progression in his ability to get the ball out quicker. 

As far as Peterman I think he sticks around for next weeks game if not two more games. QB's take a lot longer to learn a playbook and get acclimated. It doesn't hurt to have one extra week of having a QB that is fully entrenched into the offense on the roster. 

We will agree to disagree then. I think if Wood and Incognito (edit: Glenn would have been nice too) were still on the team I would be okay with leaving him in there. He's just not getting enough out of the reps with the current state of our oline. Exhibit A for me is Andrew Luck and the health issues he's had.

I will say the Bills will probably do what you're saying, I just don't agree with it.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

During Anderson stint with Carolina he completed 66% of his passes with an overall 90 QBR.

He is not a scrub.

He's okay in short stints. The more he plays, the worse he performs.  Good signing nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dang these guys are slow , this was suggested wk 1.

I think these guys are too close to to the situation and have more faith in their players than they should. This is where Bellicheck excells , he can make roster decisions with out emotional interference.

An alternative "read" on the situation would be that

1) Anderson was hoping the Panthers would decided Taylor Heinicke wasn't gonna cut it as the backup and would call

2) Beane was hoping that someone they like better around the league would be cut loose (Bradford maybe?) or available for a pick they were willing to give

3) Anderson wanted more than Beane was willing to pay

From the POV of how to read a D and avoid stupid picks, Anderson would be "do as I say don't do as I do" boy.

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

We will agree to disagree then. I think if Wood and Incognito (edit: Glenn would have been nice too) were still on the team I would be okay with leaving him in there. He's just not getting enough out of the reps with the current state of our oline. Exhibit A for me is Andrew Luck and the health issues he's had.

I will say the Bills will probably do what you're saying, I just don't agree with it.

That's a fair point, but I think that there is just nothing to be gained from starting Anderson other than having him take the beating instead of Allen. I think it also would greatly hurt Allen's confidence to have him benched for Anderson half way into the season. I can see why someone would want to yank Allen out but I just think the risk of injury is worth the benefit of him seeing the field. 

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

A good number of Allen's sacks are things he can and should learn to avoid.

The ones on the OL, not sure what the cure is.

If the report on playing time is serious Kaepernick would be the better veteran. He’s clearly better than Anderson at this point. He’s more mobile than Anderson, and could actually move the offense with ability to execute an RPO offense and his arm is just as strong if not more accurate than Anderson’s. Plus his skill sets are more similar to Allen; stronger arm, running ability. 

Kaepernick would also be a better mentor than Anderson who is 4.5 years older & clearly out of his prime. There’s not much a 35 year old QB can add to this offense. 

I understand not wanting the media circus, but going with Anderson speaks of conservative orthodoxy which has plagued this new regime since they took over. In fact the past 20 years have been haunted by rolling out over the hill & brokendown has beens such as Merriman, T.O., Percy Harvin, Vontae Davis to name a few. When was the last time the Bills did something bold that was a net benefit in terms of bringing in a player who added value outside of ‘mentorship’? I really like Lorenzo Alexander but that guy can actually play too. Anyone else? 

Signing Kaepernick would serve three purposes. A bridge for Allen to develop, mentorship, and would send a message that the Bills franchise is not a calcified backwards thinking conservative organization where deadenders & draftees are  waiting out their rookie contracts. Yes that last part is about being bold and visionary. This would also send a message to future FAs that the Bills aren’t what the the media has written about Buffalo being a cold boring wasteland. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

An alternative "read" on the situation would be that

1) Anderson was hoping the Panthers would decided Taylor Heinicke wasn't gonna cut it as the backup and would call

2) Beane was hoping that someone they like better around the league would be cut loose (Bradford maybe?) or available for a pick they were willing to give

3) Anderson wanted more than Beane was willing to pay

From the POV of how to read a D and avoid stupid picks, Anderson would be "do as I say don't do as I do" boy.

I know they have a plan but are realizing it was flawed and now are properly evaluating the situation

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A good number of Allen's sacks are things he can and should learn to avoid.

The ones on the OL, not sure what the cure is.

Sure, he should. As a unpolished rookie it will be difficult for him to do that and avoid developing bad habits, which will in turn delay development. Only one cure for the oline, talent.