Derek Anderson to sign with Bills per Mort

The Buffalo Bills are prepared to bring in veteran quarterback Derek Anderson within the next 24 hours to provide rookie Josh Allen with an experienced mentor, league sources told ESPN.

After Peterman flopped in his Week 1 start against the Ravens, the Bills have been among a handful of teams evaluating other quarterbacks to provide more experience at the position. One of those quarterbacks is former Steelers backup Landry Jones, but experience and familiarity with McDermott and Beane tilted in Anderson's favor, sources said.

No deal has been finalized, and the Bills will have to make at least one roster move Monday to accommodate Anderson. The Bills also may have to assess their roster needs if more injuries surface from Sunday's game against the Titans.

Bills playing a traditional game of 'shutting the stable door, after the horse has bolted'.

As others have pointed out, this should have happened once they traded McCarron.

Tbh, I've never been a fan of Anderson, although he had a decent year or two early(ish) in his career. Having said that, it's obvious something had to be done, or we would be seeing Peterman when Allen, rather inevitably, gets injured behind our O-Line.

As to the mentoring thing, I feel there's real value in it, as much because we don't have anyone on the staff, iirc, who actually has played the position in the NFL. There is probably no more nuanced position in sports than NFL QB, and it's often little things that make the difference. Having someone who is able to show some of the subtleties of the position, to your rookie, could pay big dividends.

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Good move. Finally get Allen a mentor. I just can’t believe it took this long.

It's possible that they wanted to bring him in earlier, but Anderson may have not wanted to sign right away, to see what other options might develop.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I didn’t want Allen to be playing yet because he really isn’t ready and the talent around him is very weak, but signing a vet now to play is way too late.  

I understand most of their moves so far, but they really seem intent on destroying Allen before he has even had a chance.

He took 3rd team reps most of training camp, they have no OL, they have no WRs, they forced him into the lineup because they had zero viable experienced options on the roster, now they may bench him?  

I try try not to be harsh on the front office and coaches because I understand they are trying to rebuild and they had cap problems to deal with, but this looks like they completely failed to have any plan in place at QB to allow Allen, whom they spent a lot to acquire, develop properly.  If they have to yank Allen for any reason, I think the wheels are coming off and there could be a new GM and coach again next year - and another search for a QB.

Edited by OldTimer1960

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

It's possible that they wanted to bring him in earlier, but Anderson may have not wanted to sign right away, to see what other options might develop.

I thought that too, it’s probably a situation like Kyle Orton where they may have been working on it a long time but he was hesitant to sign 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, McBean said:

I don’t want Derek Anderson starting any games though. 

Mentor and coaching Allen...fine.

Playing? Heck no

What are you going to do if the kid gets his bell rung in a game and can't continue that week... wave a white flag?

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honest question, has a "mentor" qb ever really worked? 

I don't see how we, as fans, could possibly know the answer to that question.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

2-2 in his last 8 seasons.  Sweet.

And who knew the NFL was always loaded with these selfless "mentors" at QB, doing such great career building for the young guys coming in.

BTW< Newton was a rookie Pro Bowler before his "mentor" arrived in Carolina...

Winning!