How we can beat the Packers

GrizzReaper

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

If we want pressure on Roger's we first need tight coverage on the back end.  Hyde.. Poyer.   Make him rush his throws and pick him off, or hurt him... 

rushing his throws starts up front. trent murphy is gonna wreak havoc like we haven't seen since bryce paup. i am so pumped!!!!!

1 hour ago, Estro said:

If we have success running the ball and stuffing their run game I think it can be a close game.  With that said I think if McCoy plays like he did the first 2 weeks the Bill's will have no chance.  His negative rushes are a killer......he needs to pick it up or be replaced.

with that said i hope dabol don't feel like it should be shady, shady. pass /sack and punt on the first couple of series or we are gonna be in for a long day. go deep and go early.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Mccoy seems all amped up to go Sunday. Probably partly because he didn't play last week, but I think also because he's a big part of the game plan this week. All I keep hearing is how the packers run d is bad. I think we're gonna try and run the ball doe  their throats. I'd be surprised if we didn't seem some deep throws from Allen too

27th against the rush compared to the bills 5th.

bills will be pounding the rock

Edited by no name

Buffalo's defense was able to cover Minnesota's wide receivers early in the play.  That forced Kirk Cousins to hold on to the ball longer than he wanted.  That allowed the defensive line to get lots of pressure on Cousins.  The same formula should work versus the Packers with their banged up offensive line and gimpy legged Aaron Rodgers.  When Green Bay is on defense they are somewhat handicapped by a new defensive coordinator.  Mike Pettine is good.  He comes from the Wrecks Ryan coaching tree, but without the sloppy personal discipline that infected the players.  His defense is quite complicated and is predicated on deception, making the offense think they are going to do something, yet doing something else when the play starts.  The problem for Green Bay is the complexity of the scheme makes it difficult to master.  In just the fourth game of the season Green Bay's players will still be working to figure it all out.  Clay Matthews is still a difference maker, but I don't think he has all that much support. 

I asked the same question of Coach Weiss on NFLR yesterday.  He stated some similar opinions that pressure up the middle is critical b/c of Rodgers injury.   He’s just not as mobile as he usually is in games so a good chance to throw him off his game if we push.  I agree with playing press, as he will try and release fast.

on offense which OP dint mention too much it’s about the run and ball control.  That can also mean Allen.  We can beat them, not that I think we definitely will, but we have a shot.

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its a Pettine defense

Run the ball

Then

Run it some more

I believe the Pack are gonna try the same. With Rodgers injury and Bills pass rush, they'll try to slow it down with screens and run game. Lots of playaction if able to run effectively 

We'll need Meatball, Star, and Horrible to clog that middle

12 hours ago, Estro said:

If we have success running the ball and stuffing their run game I think it can be a close game.  With that said I think if McCoy plays like he did the first 2 weeks the Bill's will have no chance.  His negative rushes are a killer......he needs to pick it up or be replaced.

Against a Pettine D.....not a chance.

Edited by Rockinon

I've watched the all22 from the Packers loss at Washington. Summary of what I saw below:

Defense

- the front 4 is good and is active. They play the run on the way to the Quarterback and get penetration - if your back wants to dance in the backfield they will get there and shut you down;

- if you can control that front 4 you can run at will on them because the linebackers lack gap discipline and there are running lanes there;

- they use Clinton-Dix to match up with tight ends a lot;

- the seam is constantly open. It ends up being a single safety look a lot of the time and the safety back there really struggles in coverage and he (and both corners) get very grabby.

Offense

- The offensive line is pass protecting reasonably well - though when Jason Spriggs came in for Bulaga in the 2nd half there was a noticeable drop off;

- Their running game really hasn't got going at all - they want to run from shotgun but holes are not opening up and they are relying on their guys to get yards after contact (not unlike Buffalo);

- Rodgers is not only struggling with mobility but he is struggling to really plant that leg and drive the ball deep. I only counted 3 throws attempted over about 15 years and they were all floaty touch pass type of throws rather than balls that rely on velocity;

- the wide receivers are not making the tough catches, and with Rodgers forced to play more from the pocket they are not getting the separation from extended plays that is normally such a big part of their offense. 

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alas for today's NFL, but it's now "score more points and knock the ball out of Rodger's hands...knock him over, but not too roughly!  don't land on him, he might break!"

Seeing as how we are going up against NFL royalty in Rodgers, the ? will no doubt do everything in their power to defuse our pass rush strength and flag us left and right for breathing in his general direction. Over/under for roughing the passer flags against Jerry?

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I've watched the all22 from the Packers loss at Washington. Summary of what I saw below:

Defense

- the front 4 is good and is active. They play the run on the way to the Quarterback and get penetration - if your back wants to dance in the backfield they will get there and shut you down;

- if you can control that front 4 you can run at will on them because the linebackers lack gap discipline and there are running lanes there;

- the seam is constantly open. It ends up being a single safety look a lot of the time and the safety back there really struggles in coverage and he (and both corners) get very grabby.

Offense

- The offensive line is pass protecting reasonably well - though when Jason Spriggs came in for Bulaga in the 2nd half there was a noticeable drop off;

- Their running game really hasn't got going at all - they want to run from shotgun but holes are not opening up and they are relying on their guys to get yards after contact (not unlike Buffalo);

- Rodgers is not only struggling with mobility but he is struggling to really plant that leg and drive the ball deep. I only counted 3 throws attempted over about 15 years and they were all floaty touch pass type of throws rather than balls that rely on velocity;

- the wide receivers are not making the tough catches, and with Rodgers forced to play more from the pocket they are not getting the separation from extended plays that is normally such a big part of their offense. 

The Packers are primarily running a 3-4 defense, no?

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Defense

Offense

Thank you for this.

Question, do you think Ivory is better suited to run behind the line we have? I think McCoy is a superior talent and A great pass catcher. Maybe use McCoy more as a third down back today? This also could help him with snap count as he recovers.