Allen has seemingly improved every half so far

Big Turk

With the exception of the second half in Minnesota where he wasnt asked to do much of anything other than keep the clock moving.

This definitely bodes well for us and him...he seems to be more comfortable and the game looks like it is slowing down for him. Obviously he is still going to have some rough patches and bumps in the road but overall his trajectory is pointing in the right direction and I think he has been better than expected so far. If our receivers could stop dropping good passes that would also help. He could have finished 20 for 22 yesterday, he had some really bad drops.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s looked better than I expected him to. Would like to see him connect on those deep balls and get better at identifying the blitz presnap. I assume the latter will come with time though.

He connected fine.  We just don't have WRs who can catch.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

That slant to Benjamin was a bit infuriating. That ball was PERFECT.

It really was. 1st and goal at the one that turned into 4th down

The long pass to Foster was tougher but still, one you'd expect a NFL level WR to make...

Even a high one on the sidelines that he stepped out of bounds (I don't recall to whom). Tougher than the rest, but we see so many WRs doing the great tip toe moves.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Precisely because of what happened on the second deep ball to foster.

Not sure I get what you mean here. The second deep ball to Foster was perfect. Foster needs to make that catch. It was the first deep ball, to Foster I believe, that was underthrown and nearly picked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

Not sure I get what you mean here. The second deep ball to Foster was perfect. Foster needs to make that catch. It was the first deep ball, to Foster I believe, that was underthrown and nearly picked.

I'm saying he's underthrown BECAUSE he gets the feeling that even guys like foster won't make it on the deep ball.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s had some issues with underthrowing deep balls. Not a huge problem but they are still missed opportunities.

Romo's comment was great. Just sling it! He was spot on with his advice. A 50 yard INT is like a punt. But overthrow it if in doubt. He's got such an arm we have to see at least 2 such deep throws per game. Even this miss and Foster's drop open up the field. Defenses have to account for those giant throws.

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
19 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Bills fans have been duped so many times, it's prudent IMO to just wait until after the season before getting all giddy.

I believe giddyness to be involuntary.  My brain tells me to temper my expecs, but there are chemicals being released in my body when Josh Allen touches pylons with footballs and hurdles large defenders for first downs that I can do nothing about.

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I believe giddyness to be involuntary.  My brain tells me to temper my expecs, but there are chemicals being released in my body when Josh Allen touches pylons with footballs and hurdles large defenders for first downs that I can do nothing about.

So what you're saying is that your body is ready?

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm saying he's underthrown BECAUSE he gets the feeling that even guys like foster won't make it on the deep ball.

Wasnt aware you had the ability to know his thoughts and feelings during the plays. What a remarkable talent ?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s looked better than I expected him to. Would like to see him connect on those deep balls and get better at identifying the blitz presnap. I assume the latter will come with time though.

I think part of shorting the deep balls is being used to his receivers' speed.

If I'm being honest, I didn't think he looked that good.  His best throw of the day was the drop to Benjamin. 

To me, it felt like most if his completions were short throws that were a product of the scripted offense drawn up by Daboll.  That is why so many of the yards were YAC.  It appeared that he wasn't really making a ton of decisions or even reading the defense.  He just immediately got rid of the ball to facilitate designed plays.  

While that is great, it just seems that he cant be considered on the way to being a franchise QB unless he is reading the defense, pre and post snap, and then making tough decisions.  Again, he did great with what he was asked to do.  But yesterdays success seemed to be more about Daboll than Allen. 

I don't really care about the running, though it is nice and will help keep plays alive later on.  

He'll regress at some point.

I mean, he'll have to.  He can't look better every week.  He has to have a down week at some point. 

That's not negativity as much as it is pointing out to our overreactive histrionic crowd: it's going to happen, it's normal, don't wet your pants over it when it does.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

While that is great, it just seems that he cant be considered on the way to being a franchise QB unless he is reading the defense, pre and post snap, and then making tough decisions.  Again, he did great with what he was asked to do.  But yesterdays success seemed to be more about Daboll than Allen. 

You have to execute what's called and they both did a good job. 

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If I'm being honest, I didn't think he looked that good.  His best throw of the day was the drop to Benjamin. 

To me, it felt like most if his completions were short throws that were a product of the scripted offense drawn up by Daboll.  That is why so many of the yards were YAC.  It appeared that he wasn't really making a ton of decisions or even reading the defense.  He just immediately got rid of the ball to facilitate designed plays.  

I don't really care about the running, though it is nice and will help keep plays alive later on.  

I didnt see this. I saw him look off a defender and then go back to where he looked off on the Croom TD throw. I saw him make perfect throws on the run on rollouts. I saw him stand tall in the pocket and then make plays with his legs when he needed. I saw him throw a perfect 50 yard+ bomb that landed right in Fosters hands that he dropped.  QBs who look in multiple directions on pass plays are not doing 1 man reads. I think you need to watch a little closer or go back and re-watch.

Lots of players are helped by their scheme getting guys open...look at Goff in LA...dude might play in the best offensive scheme in football...does that mean he sucks? No.

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

He'll regress at some point.

I mean, he'll have to.  He can't look better every week.  He has to have a down week at some point. 

That's not negativity as much as it is pointing out to our overreactive histrionic crowd: it's going to happen, it's normal, don't wet your pants over it when it does.

Yeah of course. The more tape DCs have on him the harder it gets to improve. Eventually a DC will come up with a scheme that really makes him look bad and until he can show he can beat that scheme he will see the same thing week after week.

It happened to Wentz after the first 4 or 5 games it will likely happen to Allen...year 2 is where we should expect to see a major jump. Fingers are crossed. He looks the part so far.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I didnt see this. I saw him look off a defender and then go back to where he looked off on the Croom TD throw. I saw him make perfect throws on the run on rollouts. I saw him stand tall in the pocket and then make plays with his legs when he needed. QBs who look in multiple directions on pass plays are not doing 1 man reads. I think you need to watch a little closer or go back and research.

Lots of players are helped by their scheme getting guys open...look at Goff in LA...dude might play in the best offensive scheme in football...does that mean he sucks? No.

I though that when I said "he did great with what he asked me to do" that would send the message that I didn't think he "sucks."

Apparently I was wrong.  

That Croom TD throw was awesome.  But it was one read and then a wide open WR right next to his field of vision.  If he missed that hed deserve to be cut.  Conversely, him making the throw does not warrant over excitement.  I mean, again, I'm happy he did it, but that isn't a throw to get excited about.  

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I though that when I said "he did great with what he asked me to do" that would send the message that I didn't think he "sucks."

Apparently I was wrong.  

That Croom TD throw was awesome.  But it was one read and then a wide open WR right next to his field of vision.  If he missed that hed deserve to be cut.  Conversely, him making the throw does not warrant over excitement.  I mean, again, I'm happy he did it, but that isn't a throw to get excited about.  

Watch the play again. He looks off the defender on the fake screen.

It was an incredible play for a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The thing that I liked the most about Allen’s 2nd start compared to his first was his willingness to take the check down pass. I noticed on a couple of occasions against the Chargers he had the back in the middle of the field for 5 yards but took more chances throwing into tight places. 

This is past week he went through his progressions saw nothing and dumped it down

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

The Vikings bit hard on those play fakes. Great execution all around, especially by Allen.

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Again, good play.  I just don't think its that great.  He looks at the WR, sees the backer breaking for him, and then looks up at Croom.  Its not like he is manipulating a safety with his eyes and going to the other side of the field.  

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Ya I believe he stared right at Harrison Smith and just froze him for a second. Smith then went right to the post route and left Croom wide open.

Allen played him like a fiddle on that one

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Again, good play.  I just don't think its that great.  He looks at the WR, sees the backer breaking for him, and then looks up at Croom.  Its not like he is manipulating a safety with his eyes and going to the other side of the field.  

He did manipulate him though. Allen stared right at Harrison smith. Smith went to the post pattern because of that, which left croom wide open on the right side.

Brilliant call by Daboll, but Allen and Croom executed it to perfection.

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Someone here has slow eyes, and it ain’t Josh Allen... ?

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Romo opined that Allen manipulated the defender by staring at the RB. Look we’re all Bills fans and know our QB history. Yes, a true assessment cannot take place until after Allen’s first season. There’s nothing wrong with discussing the ups ( and there will be downs) of Allen’s progression through his opening year at the helm. This is a fan message board after all, prone to the inevitable hot takes etc that come with it. If you prefer a more long term and balanced approach, watch the season and then chime in when January rolls around. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

He connected fine.  We just don't have WRs who can catch.

Meh, some of both.  He's been off target at times.  A couple times his receivers have bailed him out.  Foster saved him a pick yesterday.  Zay Jones and DiMarco both made great adjustments v. Chargers.  More times than not, though, his receivers have let him down, especially Benjamin, Clay, and Foster in that order. 

Foster is a raw rookie, known to be a raw rookie, his contributions are gravy and growing pains are expected.  He should really be on the practice squad.

Charles Clay's eating $9M cap and Benjamin $8.5M.  They are both expected to make those catches they're not.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I was more impressed with the design of the play. 

Allen just had to sell the screen hard which he did and make a nice easy TD throw to a wide open Croom.

I was much more impressed with other plays that Allen made than that one. 

While I’ll agree that other plays were more impressive, I was glad to see Allen brush off the shakiness from his debut and calmly execute the play as required. I didn’t know if he was just too hyped up vs LAC, or if putting the right touch on various passes was going to be an issue. 

I think his best throw was the one to Holmes at the one yard line.  It's a short field and he needed to split the defenders with the throw.  You could see his head moving going through his progressions and saw a tiny opening to Holmes...fired it in.  I like the aggressiveness.   

With Taylor last year, he's just not going to attempt that throw.  He's okay with just settling for a FG.