Game Plan - Offense

Commish

So what game plan do you dial up for Allen?   I say the emphasis should be on keeping him in one piece: 2 or 3 tight ends constantly on the field, always have a safety-valve for a dump off. Winning this game - and the next couple - should be a secondary consideration.

Coaches will always devise a game plan with winning the game as primary consideration. This should and will be no different. They won’t try to hide Allen behind max protection all game. They will use play action on deep throws early to get the safety out of the run box. The Ravens D did not care much about any pass beyond 10 yards as they didn’t think Peterman could make the throws. That’s tough on a running game. I expect Allen’s mobility to be used as well with bootlegs. The Jets did this often vs DET. There were plays out there to be made vs BAL and NP left them on the field. The OL must get much better leverage and be more physical in the run game to give the Bills a chance in this one. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

See Jets offensive gameplan from Monday night.  Copy/paste.  Run the ball.  Lots of screens, quick slants, curls, back shoulder stuff.  Play action.  Never hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds.

Yeah I definitely agree, the main goal should be a heavy run game. I don't trust this offense running screen plays right now, especially against the Chargers. Peterman missed a lot of throws last week and the receivers dropped quite a few passes. Hopefully Allen is more accurate and his timing is better.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

See Jets offensive gameplan from Monday night.  Copy/paste.  Run the ball.  Lots of screens, quick slants, curls, back shoulder stuff.  Play action.  Never hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds.

That's what they better do to help Allen stay upright. They have to go ground and pound to have any semblance of a chance.

They will cut down playbook. I have seen this done before, and I coach qbs myself.

It will be something along the lines of two short passes, two screens, two middle of the field options, two outside the numbers, and two long passes. Mix that out of three or four personnel groupings and you have at least 30 options for passing. The same idea for runs. Two dives, two off tackles, two rubs or counters, two stretches, and two pitches or tosses. Mix that with your personnel groupings and there is your offense. They will most likely give him options to audible and switch the play side or audible to one of his other plays.

This will allow him to play faster and still be enough to keep the opposing denfense guessing if Dabol can get the play calling improved this week. I think they will. Probably not enough to win, but I am sure they will make it simple enough so he can run it and look better doing it.

I hope he plays well enough to build a base off of which he can progress. Trending up is key for this next game!

24 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Should be required viewing for Daboll.

Start Holmes and Kerley, Croom and Clay for targets that can actually catch the ball.  Two tight ends all day in various formations.   Bring in Ray Ray or Foster for a change of pace.  Foster showed some nice playing speed last week.  Croom Holmes and Clay all huge targets with big catch radius and strong hands.   Croom might be the best of the bunch.

Sorry Zay and KB but you guys have slippery ball syndrome and I don't expect it will improve with Josh's lasers.  We can't afford to have these freaking drops any more.

No empty backfield until we see Miller and Groy are playing adequate ball, otherwise we need a running back to chip in and help the middle from collapsing.   Good for play action, good for Josh's health, good for draw plays.   I don't care who it is, but you might want to start with Dimarco or Ivory.   Don't be afraid to swap in Bodine or Teller inside if Groy/Miller can't keep up.

My biggest worry is Daboll tries to dink and dunk which is not Josh's game at all.   We need to be running the full route tree out there and give the kid some north/south shots, especially over the middle.  Foster is a big boy, let him take some shots over the middle.

I'd say get Shady in space, but I hate when people say get a shifty guy in space as if coordinators never thought of that before.  Of course they want him in space, it's not that easy in the NFL.  Ask Spiller or Roscoe Parrish.

Get Rivers frustrated somehow.   Even if it's crowd mooning.   

9 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Start Holmes and Kerley, Croom and Clay for targets that can actually catch the ball.  Two tight ends all day in various formations.   Bring in Ray Ray or Foster for a change of pace.  Foster showed some nice playing speed last week.  Croom Holmes and Clay all huge targets with big catch radius and strong hands.   Croom might be the best of the bunch.

Sorry Zay and KB but you guys have slippery ball syndrome and I don't expect it will improve with Josh's lasers.  We can't afford to have these freaking drops any more.

No empty backfield until we see Miller and Groy are playing adequate ball, otherwise we need a running back to chip in and help the middle from collapsing.   Good for play action, good for Josh's health, good for draw plays.   I don't care who it is, but you might want to start with Dimarco or Ivory.   Don't be afraid to swap in Bodine or Teller inside if Groy/Miller can't keep up.

My biggest worry is Daboll tries to dink and dunk which is not Josh's game at all.   We need to be running the full route tree out there and give the kid some north/south shots, especially over the middle.  Foster is a big boy, let him take some shots over the middle.

I'd say get Shady in space, but I hate when people say get a shifty guy in space as if coordinators never thought of that before.  Of course they want him in space, it's not that easy in the NFL.  Ask Spiller or Roscoe Parrish.

Get Rivers frustrated somehow.   Even if it's crowd mooning.   

Only problem with this is Allen doesn’t have enough time to let the WRs run the full route tree. The pressure on our QB is real and prevents us from running anything that isn’t quick.  Maybe some bootlegs and stuff to get allen out of the pocket can allow some different routes, but they’ll probably end up a turnover or a sack.

I'd love to see some well executed screen passes and give Allen some RPO's.  He's big and mobile like Luck or Wentz.  Maybe he's not going to take off like Taylor or Jackson but look how Bortles killed us last year.  Of course we want Allen to learn to throw from the pocket but we also do not want him to get killed there.  Have some decent situational awareness.  If you get a few first downs maybe throw in some no huddle and get them good and tired, take advantage of that.  A lot of it depends on what they think Allen's command of the offense is at this point.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That would be OK.  The Jets don't seem to be trying all the cute motion-in-two-directions OL schemes we're failing with.  They're more snap-beat the man in front of ya.  Of course, the man in front of ya isn't always the one ya have ta beat after the snap, which got Darnold sacked a few.

1 hour ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

So what game plan do you dial up for Allen?   I say the emphasis should be on keeping him in one piece: 2 or 3 tight ends constantly on the field, always have a safety-valve for a dump off. Winning this game - and the next couple - should be a secondary consideration.

RPOs all day.  

First offensive play from scrimmage, Allen should throw the ball through the uprights, preferably the opposing uprights, from his own 20 for all of the Chargers to marvel at his feat of strength and tremble in their cleats, and then from there on out they should run the bejeebus out of McCoy until he pukes.

Edited by transient

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This sort of plan makes sense to me.

People who are screaming for a heavy dose of RPOs are missing 1 thing...

the idea behind the Run/Pass option is for it too look like a run with passing options

so you will get LBrs going downhill fast in the NFL and doing this...

a very good line can like the eagles and it can be successful...

ours struggles to pick up blitzes and stunts... a RPO offense can get Allen killed

just Coach Allen up to take off against man for a quick 7-10 when it’s open and get down 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

the idea behind the Run/Pass option is for it too look like a run with passing options

ours struggles to pick up blitzes and stunts... a RPO offense can get Allen killed

just Coach Allen up to take off against man for a quick 7-10 when it’s open and get down 

I can't disagree but would add that too much of anything will either get him killed or be completely ineffective.  The idea is to mix it up enough to stop the front 7 from attacking as much.  Even when mixing it up there is a chance that the defense will guess right and get pressure.  Someone posted vids of Allen's games last year and the first one I watched he took off running and got decleated.  There's always a chance the QB will get hit.

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I can't disagree but would add that too much of anything will either get him killed or be completely ineffective.  The idea is to mix it up enough to stop the front 7 from attacking as much.  Even when mixing it up there is a chance that the defense will guess right and get pressure.  Someone posted vids of Allen's games last year and the first one I watched he took off running and got decleated.  There's always a chance the QB will get hit.

Of course . Football is a violent game. 

Thats why the whole starting him too soon can ruin him is BS to me... he can get hurt on any play at any time... behind a good line or bad line.. you play the best QB you have in the NFL

he is used to playing behind a dog**** Oline at Wyoming so it shouldn’t put him into shell shock... he was baptized By fire at Wyoming , and the cream rises

and he will be baptized by fire in the NFL, and I have a feeling he will surprise (in a good way) a lot of people

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, ajmac said:

They will cut down playbook. I have seen this done before, and I coach qbs myself.

It will be something along the lines of two short passes, two screens, two middle of the field options, two outside the numbers, and two long passes. Mix that out of three or four personnel groupings and you have at least 30 options for passing. The same idea for runs. Two dives, two off tackles, two rubs or counters, two stretches, and two pitches or tosses. Mix that with your personnel groupings and there is your offense. They will most likely give him options to audible and switch the play side or audible to one of his other plays.

This will allow him to play faster and still be enough to keep the opposing denfense guessing if Dabol can get the play calling improved this week. I think they will. Probably not enough to win, but I am sure they will make it simple enough so he can run it and look better doing it.

I hope he plays well enough to build a base off of which he can progress. Trending up is key for this next game!

Agreed.

But what plays would you prioritize?  I'd make sure to throw some deep routes and some deep outs - maybe out of max protect.  Allen is inexperienced and has shortcomings but he does have a live arm.  I'd want the D to respect that arm and defend the entire field - so that Shady might find some space in the run game.  

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Brad Kaaya.  Pshaw.  I predict mid RPO on Sunday Allen's molar will leap from his head unprovoked and lay waste to Joey Bosa as he stand on the sideline in a walking boot, thus beginning the legend of Josh Allen.

3 minutes ago, transient said:

Brad Kaaya.  Pshaw.  I predict mid RPO on Sunday Allen's molar will leap from his head unprovoked and lay waste to Joey Bosa as he stand on the sideline in a walking boot, thus beginning the legend of Josh Allen.

I actually heard that Bosas foot bruise happened because he stepped on Allen’s canine... which he strategically placed on the ground ?

3 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

i'd run trips to one side ( and alternate), then put shady out wide with ivory in the backfield. i would  alternate ivory and shady to the outside. i look to throw deep or hit shady or ivory as a checkdown.  after  loosening them up, i start some handoffs. come out and take it right to them. they can't press bunch formations. send foster deep on every play.

shady and ivory are mismatches in space. i'd pick them apart with an uptempo pace and get em gassed.