Just remember this team finished very strong after getting humiliated in 3 straight games last yr

JerseyBills

I understand things aren't looking too good , to say the least but a win Sunday, and the whole tone of the season changes. 

Just last year , after 3 straight blowout losses , this team never quit like so many do in that situation . They walk into a desperate KC teams stadium and hush the Arrowhead crowd.,go on to finish 4-2 and sneak into the playoffs. 

I think this coaching staff is excellent but simply had an awful day at the office but this can be a good thing and learning experience for the players and coaches , who got a harsh reality check last week. 

Adjustments will be made, and I have faith in this staff and team as just last year they bounced back after those 3 games , with a very similar narrative. 

Team was 6-2 at home. 

If Allen looks good, the D rebounds and we win , this board will be singing a completely different tune. There's still plenty room for optimism despite local and national opinions and nearly every post on here. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I’d love to share you’re optimism, but we had a different line, for his faults, a different QB, and as a result, makes me cynical until I see otherwise.

The part that is so frustratingly this defense who you think would’ve been better this year looked terrible last week.  I don’t buy it was such an incredible offense for the Ravens.

Do you know in the BILLS last 11 games the team is 4-7  and in there loses they lost by a average margin of defeat of 24.6 points per game

If you take out the jags game it would balloon up to 27.5 points per game.

Here are a list of there loses since week 9

21-34 L (-13) week 9

10-47 L (-37) week 10

24-54 L (-30) week 11

3-23 L (-20)   week13

16-37 L (-21)  week 16

3-10 L  (-7)   wild card

3-47 L (-44) week 1 (2018) 

So we have games where the defense gave up 34,47,54,23,37,47   Let that sink in for a sec!

Im not going to even talk about the offense scores during that stretch as well. You can see for yourself

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I happen to think that the Bills will be competitive this week. They won’t roll over after that embarrassment. With that being said they aren’t going to win a lot.

They hopefully won’t look that bad at the home opener. Chargers smell blood in the water.

I've been good about not over reacting after Sundays loss. We've seen this many times before. If we win Sunday, half the posts here will be about how Allen is the next Brady and we're gonna win 10 games this year. It's just how it goes. We win, we're awesome, we lose and we're the worst in the NFL 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They hopefully won’t look that bad at the home opener. Chargers smell blood in the water.

Chargers also lost and had their own issues (admittedly not as profound), so maybe, maybe not.

53 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Do you know in the BILLS last 11 games the team is 4-7  and in there loses they lost by a average margin of defeat of 24.6 points per game

If you take out the jags game it would balloon up to 27.5 points per game.

Here are a list of there loses since week 9

21-34 L (-13) week 9

10-47 L (-37) week 10

24-54 L (-30) week 11

3-23 L (-20)   week13

16-37 L (-21)  week 16

3-10 L  (-7)   wild card

3-47 L (-44) week 1 (2018) 

So we have games where the defense gave up 34,47,54,23,37,47   Let that sink in for a sec!

Im not going to even talk about the offense scores during that stretch as well. You can see for yourself

While admittedly you could say the OP is cherry picking, you are cherry picking even more ridiculously. If you're taking out the Jacksonville game, then I'm taking out the Patriots games -- besides, in one of those games, the Pats actually scored fewer points than their 2018 average. And then, there you have it, the "illuminating claim" that the Bills played poorly in the 3-game stretch and last week, which is part of the original point. 

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I've been good about not over reacting after Sundays loss. We've seen this many times before. If we win Sunday, half the posts here will be about how Allen is the next Brady and we're gonna win 10 games this year. It's just how it goes. We win, we're awesome, we lose and we're the worst in the NFL 

Yep. It''s called not letting one's emotions cloud their judgement. There are too many Chicken Little's, Negative Nancy's, Bandwagon Hoppers, and What Have You done Lately Walleys on the Forum. They may seem either impatient, not open minded, or overreact to everything as they love negativity or complaining. They probably are disciples of Coach Dickerson and Sully.

Let's instead enjoy the Roller coaster, and at years end then analyze the good, the bad, the ugly, and any great. The NFL is not based on one game. And the Process cannot be fixed over night. This year more focus was on trimming and dealing with the remaining fat, getting hopefully our next franchise qb, improving a little the D, and  next year hopefully its O line, receivers and winning time. 

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

I don't share your optimism with this group because we are a mess in the trenches.

In fact they have a better chance of seeing God.

Good thing pastor McDermott has a direct line.

He claps to the big guy in the sky in Morse code.

Last game had "Angel radio" interference with the storm.

28 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Chargers also lost and had their own issues (admittedly not as profound), so maybe, maybe not.

While admittedly you could say the OP is cherry picking, you are cherry picking even more ridiculously. If you're taking out the Jacksonville game, then I'm taking out the Patriots games -- besides, in one of those games, the Pats actually scored fewer points than their 2018 average. And then, there you have it, the "illuminating claim" that the Bills played poorly in the 3-game stretch and last week, which is part of the original point. 

What is he cherry picking?

He said they were 4-7 in their last 11.

He then proceeded to list the 7 losses, along with the point differential.

He made a comment about taking out the jags to show that, outside of that game, the loses were supremely lopsided.

He's talking about the fact that when we lose, we lose big.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Because they're doing an actual rebuild.

Exactly.

When you are stacking young players you're going to see ups and downs until they acclimate to the NFL fully.

Having said that, the valleys have been pretty big and pretty frequent the last 11 games.

I'm also hoping to bottom out and load up with a stud next year.

Maybe bosa Jr.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Isn’t the over reacting part of being a fanatic? I mean if you’re just going to sit there and sleepwalk through the season you might as well just come back in January and see how it all turned out. I love the over reacting! It makes it all a lot of fun. 

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What is he cherry picking?

He said they were 4-7 in their last 11.

He then proceeded to list the 7 losses, along with the point differential.

He made a comment about taking out the jags to show that, outside of that game, the loses were supremely lopsided.

He's talking about the fact that when we lose, we lose big.

He omitted the Jacksonville game when making a statistical point. That is practically the DEFINITION of cherry-picking.

The OP's point is that despite a 3-game stretch that was, as you said AND the OP said, lopsided, and would usually be demoralizing, the Bills went 4-2 the rest of the way; hence, we should maybe remember a team with many of the same players and the same head coach was able to play well the rest of the way, so maybe we should not leave this team for dead while still giving them a few kicks on the way out. I'm presuming we all watched last season. If so, it was pretty obvious the manner the team played in that seven-game stretch (including the two Pats losses) was vastly different from the trainwrecks you saw in the three games prior and in the one game after.

All the OP is saying is maybe we should get off the ledge, and the other poster is going out of his or her way to say "nah, the weather's fine out here." 

Yes, there's a good chance we could be a bad team as we rebuild. While I doubt that it will be as bad as last week, and take issue with absurd overreactions like the Rochester writer kneejerkedly calling the team "devoid of talent" (Hyde? White? Poyer? McCoy? Edmunds?) or the poster who smugly started a thread "see we're right" (congrats, enjoy), there's reasons to believe a turnaround is not impossible between a possible injection of enthusiasm by Allen's start and the fact that fortunes can change fast in the NFL and did for this same team less than a year ago. I'm not confident it will, but I'm excited to see what happens in the game and don't feel it's hopeless.

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

He omitted the Jacksonville game when making a statistical point. That is practically the DEFINITION of cherry-picking.

The OP's point is that despite a 3-game stretch that was, as you said AND the OP said, lopsided, and would usually be demoralizing, the Bills went 4-2 the rest of the way; hence, we should maybe remember a team with many of the same players and the same head coach was able to play well the rest of the way, so maybe we should not leave this team for dead while still giving them a few kicks on the way out. I'm presuming we all watched last season. If so, it was pretty obvious the manner the team played in that seven-game stretch (including the two Pats losses) was vastly different from the trainwrecks you saw in the three games prior and in the one game after.

All the OP is saying is maybe we should get off the ledge, and the other poster is going out of his or her way to say "nah, the weather's fine out here." 

Yes, there's a good chance we could be a bad team as we rebuild. While I doubt that it will be as bad as last week, and take issue with absurd overreactions like the Rochester writer kneejerkedly calling the team "devoid of talent" (Hyde? White? Poyer? McCoy? Edmunds?) or the poster who smugly started a thread "see we're right" (congrats, enjoy), there's reasons to believe a turnaround is not impossible between a possible injection of enthusiasm by Allen's start and the fact that fortunes can change fast in the NFL and did for this same team less than a year ago. I'm not confident it will, but I'm excited to see what happens in the game and don't feel it's hopeless.

He gave the numbers with and without the Jacksonville game, omitting the outlier of a pattern, which is exactly what statisticians do, they give both numbers, to show the difference one outlier can make.

Nice try.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I know you're diving into the hope tank, but last year's team is just that last year's.  There is no correlation to this season's version of our Bills. 

Really? I respect your opinion as one of the most consistent and seemingly wisest posters on the board, but that seems a gross case of absolutism. Are you really saying that coaching has no impact on how a team reacts to adversity or that certain players and/or teams don't handle it better. We just have to look at the Patriots to see a team which tends to win and rebound in a similar fashion regardless of an ever-changing roster (and even in games and seasons when Brady has been hurt).

Besides, the point is more that the NFL's landscape tends to change fast as evidenced by what happened with our own team (and the team we beat in the game we pulled out of it...and the Titans who looked pretty awful going into Week 17 then won to get in and won a playoff game...and the Giants who lost six games in a row and won a Super Bowl ... and ... ). It may not be likely, but to imply it can't happen ignores the history of the NFL. We have a new QB, many of the players and most of the coaches were able to revive last year. I'm going to get excited (while knowing as I have for over 30 years of fandom that it's very likely to go bad).

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I happen to think that the Bills will be competitive this week. They won’t roll over after that embarrassment. With that being said they aren’t going to win a lot.

i really hope he comes out and outperforms sam darnold.  i'm afraid he's gonna get hurt though....i was hoping this start would be the titans game, but if this defense doen't start getting to the qb, we have no shot in outscoring anyone.

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Really? I respect your opinion as one of the most consistent and seemingly wisest posters on the board, but that seems a gross case of absolutism. Are you really saying that coaching has no impact on how a team reacts to adversity or that certain players and/or teams don't handle it better. We just have to look at the Patriots to see a team which tends to win and rebound in a similar fashion regardless of an ever-changing roster (and even in games and seasons when Brady has been hurt).

Besides, the point is more that the NFL's landscape tends to change fast as evidenced by what happened with our own team (and the team we beat in the game we pulled out of it...and the Titans who looked pretty awful going into Week 17 then won to get in and won a playoff game...and the Giants who lost six games in a row and won a Super Bowl ... and ... ). It may not be likely, but to imply it can't happen ignores the history of the NFL. We have a new QB, many of the players and most of the coaches were able to revive last year. I'm going to get excited (while knowing as I have for over 30 years of fandom that it's very likely to go bad).

The HC himself expresses the same sentiment on a continual basis and with so much roster turnover from 2017 including a new OC who has an entirely new system the point remains. There is no correlation to what was posted in the OP.

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He gave the numbers with and without the Jacksonville game, omitting the outlier of a pattern, which is exactly what statisticians do, they give both numbers, to show the difference one outlier can make.

Yes, but that also strips the obvious context to make the point he or she wants to make. Three of the games were in the nosedive, the two losses which were not and were not the playoff "outlier" were against the Patriots and they gave up an avg of 30 pts to the Patriots, who averaged a 27 pts all season so they essentially -- in this small sample -- played average defense. These statistics don't disprove the OP's point and if cherry-picking is imprecise, it's definitely manipulative of the data to show its point. 

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Nice try.

Don't be a jerk. I'm sorry if my heated defense of my position was jerky itself and I didn't realize it.

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Yes, but that also strips the obvious context to make the point he or she wants to make. Three of the games were in the nosedive, the two losses which were not and were not the playoff "outlier" were against the Patriots and they gave up an avg of 30 pts to the Patriots, who averaged a 27 pts all season so they essentially -- in this small sample -- played average defense. These statistics don't disprove the OP's point and if cherry-picking is imprecise, it's definitely manipulative of the data to show its point. 

Don't be a jerk. I'm sorry if my heated defense of my position was jerky itself and I didn't realize it.

I don't think it's manipulative at all

I really think it just shows that we were an average at best defense, and a circus at worst.

I myself thought we would be better this year on defense, but it really doesn't look like it.

I was worried about depth at cb after Tre, at linebacker, and on dline, and it looks to be well warranted.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk either.

I think we are all a little testy after that beating Sunday 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The HC himself expresses the same sentiment on a continual basis and with so much roster turnover from 2017 including a new OC who has an entirely new system the point remains. There is no correlation to what was posted in the OP.

Fair enough. I don't agree that there is zero correlation between how a team plays one year to the next, and still contend how a team is coached and who the main personnel is can explain how they react to adversity.  

In any case, it still does not disprove the point that how a team plays can change dramatically from week-to-week and observing that after a certain team lost three games in a row in an embarrassing fashion, somehow defied the death knell pundits and fans placed on the team to go 4-2 and make the playoffs.  The Chiefs had a longer stretch which culminated in losing at home to a team that had just finished one of the worst 3-game stretches in history, then won out to make the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

Fair enough. I don't agree that there is zero correlation between how a team plays one year to the next, and still contend how a team is coached and who the main personnel is can explain how they react to adversity.  

In any case, it still does not disprove the point that how a team plays can change dramatically from week-to-week and observing that after a certain team lost three games in a row in an embarrassing fashion, somehow defied the death knell pundits and fans placed on the team to go 4-2 and make the playoffs.  The Chiefs had a longer stretch which culminated in losing at home to a team that had just finished one of the worst 3-game stretches in history, then won out to make the playoffs.  

None of this has anything to do with the 2018 Buffalo Bills. 

I thought these were the last 6 games of 2017?  minus the playoff game...  did I forget my meds?

12 November 26 at Kansas City Chiefs W 16–10 6–5 Arrowhead Stadium Recap
13 December 3 New England Patriots L 3–23 6–6 New Era Field Recap
14 December 10 Indianapolis Colts W 13–7 (OT) 7–6 New Era Field Recap
15 December 17 Miami Dolphins W 24–16 8–6 New Era Field Recap
16 December 24 at New England Patriots L 16–37 8–7 Gillette Stadium Recap
17 December 31 at Miami Dolphins W 22–16 9–7 Hard Rock Stadium Recap

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I hope that's the case.

I would hope the players have a sense of pride and will refuse to get beat down like that again.  If I were say Kyle and I see Benjamin give the kind of half hearted effort he did last week, I'd kick his ass in right on the sideline 

• Haha (+1) 1