Roster Improvement: Already on the PS Squad and FA Market who can add value/depth

Wizard

Several posts have reasonably asked what value or depth guys like DiMarco, Foster, Ducasse, and a few others on the roster do for the Bills. Your thoughts on the following?

There are 5 guys who who have literally zero value/role on this team

• Foster, Newhouse, Jones, Lee, Lewis, DiMarco

There are about 5 current Bills that are street FA level. A player could come in off a practice squad, or off the streets and replace this player without any noticeable difference. 

• Ducasse, Peterman, McDermott, Thomas, Stanford/Lacey

My Questions for McDermott and Beane

• Is it a complex salary cap management thing that keeps these guys on the roster?
  • Is it McDermott & Beane's pride that blinds them to keeping these guys?
  • Is it poor coaching "up" of players?
  • Are there just not a good pool of players to replace these guys?

3 Practice Squad Bills Better than a Player Currently on Roster?

• Ford at RB over Jones
  • Phillips at WR over Foster
  • Wesley a better swing G/T than Ducasse or Newhouse )

10+ Free Agents that are Better than the 10 (zero value or street FA level ability) players on the roster

• Dez Bryant (would become our #2 or #3 WR option)make him our #3 WR option)
  • Hankins (DT to replace Washington's position, and better than Yarbrough)
  • Breeland (A guy that would be no lower than our #5 CB and likely are #4 CB)
  • Eric Reid (this guy is a starter and better than Bush or Neal, or Pitts, or Lewis for secondary)
  • K. Wright (better than Foster and provides veteran experience to WR's, opens up field)
  • T.J. Ward (a better safety than Neal or Bush and a better secondary member than Pitts and Lewis)
  • Boone/Cooper/Joeckel (any of these guys can replace Ducasse, Newhouse or McDermott and probably push Miller of the roster too)
  • Courtney Upshaw (a blitzing/hybrid DE/LB...guy is Yarbrough's replacement right now and better than all backup LB's and great veteran mentor for S. Lawson)
  • Perriman (He can't be any worse than Foster and liely has more value than McCloud or Holmes)
  • Reilly (worse case scenario make him McCloud your #5 receiver, drop Foster, and have Reilly become your 6th receiver)

Presumably the coaches can evaluate the practice squad guys against the starters. Otherwise, they are looking and bringing in players for evaluation.

They don’t have much money this year and there are good reasons available free agents are available.

The one thing I can’t understand is how they do over rated Peterman that they kept only two quarterbacks.

Unless they believe Josh is ready to start, they need to bring in an experienced pro to mentor him if not play. Sanchez or Moore or even EJ could help Josh much more in this regard than Peterman and might probably be more effective spot starters as well.

Edited by Jeff1954

1 hour ago, Jeff1954 said:

Presumably the coaches can evaluate the practice squad guys against the starters. Otherwise, they are looking and bringing in players for evaluation.

They don’t have much money this year and there are good reasons available free agents are available.

The one thing I can’t understand is how they do over rated Peterman that they kept only two quarterbacks.

Unless they believe Josh is ready to start, they need to bring in an experienced pro to mentor him if not play. Sanchez or Moore or even EJ could help Josh much more in this regard than Peterman and might probably be more effective spot starters as well.

Bills currently have $7.5M in free cap which is actually about the middle of the league (they'd have more if they weren't paying Coleman $3.5M to play for NE)

Because vet players salaries become guaranteed if they're on a roster on opening day, a lot of teams hold back from signing vets before opening day even if they have gaps.

Bills could bring in some guys if they wanted to

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wizard said:

Several posts have reasonably asked what value or depth guys like DiMarco, Foster, Ducasse, and a few others on the roster do for the Bills. Your thoughts on the following?

There are 5 guys who who have literally zero value/role on this team

• Foster, Newhouse, Jones, Lee, Lewis, DiMarco

There are about 5 current Bills that are street FA level. A player could come in off a practice squad, or off the streets and replace this player without any noticeable difference. 

• Ducasse, Peterman, McDermott, Thomas, Stanford/Lacey

My Questions for McDermott and Beane

• Is it a complex salary cap management thing that keeps these guys on the roster?
  • Is it McDermott & Beane's pride that blinds them to keeping these guys?
  • Is it poor coaching "up" of players?
  • Are there just not a good pool of players to replace these guys?

3 Practice Squad Bills Better than a Player Currently on Roster?

• Ford at RB over Jones
  • Phillips at WR over Foster
  • Wesley a better swing G/T than Ducasse or Newhouse )

10+ Free Agents that are Better than the 10 (zero value or street FA level ability) players on the roster

• Dez Bryant (would become our #2 or #3 WR option)make him our #3 WR option) doubt he would come
  • Hankins (DT to replace Washington's position, and better than Yarbrough)yes
  • Breeland (A guy that would be no lower than our #5 CB and likely are #4 CB)
  • Eric Reid (this guy is a starter and better than Bush or Neal, or Pitts, or Lewis for secondary)
  • K. Wright (better than Foster and provides veteran experience to WR's, opens up field)
  • T.J. Ward (a better safety than Neal or Bush and a better secondary member than Pitts and Lewis)
  • Boone/Cooper/Joeckel (any of these guys can replace Ducasse, Newhouse or McDermott and probably push Miller of the roster too)yes 
  • Courtney Upshaw (a blitzing/hybrid DE/LB...guy is Yarbrough's replacement right now and better than all backup LB's and great veteran mentor for S. Lawson)
  • Perriman (He can't be any worse than Foster and liely has more value than McCloud or Holmes)yes
  • Reilly (worse case scenario make him McCloud your #5 receiver, drop Foster, and have Reilly become your 6th receiver)

There are a bunch of lineman on the FA market who are better than what we have. You mentioned Boone and Joeckel. Both would be huge upgrades. In terms o cheap adds,  I really like Spencer Drango, formerly of the Browns. I think he is a guy that you can plug in at right guard right now and he'd be better than what we have...and would be a vet minimum guy. . 

The whole Breeland thing is confusing. He is way better than what we have outside of Tre'davious, yet there has been no mention of pursuing him. 

Hankins makes a ton of sense as a tackle and I think a Perriman addition is obvious. The Pats just cut Chad Hansen, who is interesting and you still have guys like Malcom Mitchell out there.  

I would have cut Lacey on Monday for going offisdes on punt return. Inexcusable. I would pluck Vince Biegel off the Saints practice squad to replace him. 

My whole thing with this team is the fact that it feels like I am watching a bunch of boyscouts. There is no edge or toughness. We don't feel like that gritty team that no one wants to play. I think we lost that with Richie's exit. And as much as I hated Preston Brown, I think he did bring a certain mentality to the defense. The team feels neutered, and maybe that is the coach's fault. 

With that in mind, I would bring in two people: Alex Boone and John Simon. Both of those guys play with an edge and a motor that sometimes rubs other teams the wrong way. That character and toughness is really what is missing here. This team looked liek they were okay with getting their asses kicked. Even a guy like Dez Bryant or a washed up Brian Cushing would bring that edge. This team looks soft. 

• Like (+1) 1

While it looks like the FO is trying to bring in some more players to upgrade in spots why aren't they bringing in players with a decent resume that could be stop gap players while the process is being worked on ? I know Mcbean has a certain type of player in mind but there are some really good players out there sitting just waiting for a call from a team .

Here's a list found on another site who of these players would you bring in that could be plug ing players ? I for one am not for the one they say we should bring in but there are others that we could which ones would you all say should at least be being looked at by the Bills FO as a lease option ?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2795030-best-free-agent-option-remaining-for-every-nfl-team#slide12

Minus a little depth help on the offensive line I personally don’t see the point. 

This is what I call a growth season. 

They picked their 53 and minus a spot or two they seem hell bent on seeing what these guys can do. Younger players need the experience, some of the older players are out at the end of the year anyways.

I am in the mind set they feel they can win with this group but they also don’t mind to lose with this group either

4 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Just think of 2018 as a very long 2019 pre-season.  It works for me.

It’s funny but that’s what i said to my dad before the game Sunday. I’m looking at this year like that in a lot of ways. That’s all the more reason I’d just cut guys like Ducasse, Holmes, Vontae and run younger guys out there. If the young guys can play, you have one less piece (whether it be starting or depth) that you need moving forward. Guys like Ducasse can’t possibly be a part of the future anyways so you should try to find someone who might be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny but that’s what i said to my dad before the game Sunday. I’m looking at this year like that in a lot of ways. That’s all the more reason I’d just cut guys like Ducasse, Holmes, Vontae and run younger guys out there. If the young guys can play, you have one less piece (whether it be starting or depth) that you need moving forward. Guys like Ducasse can’t possibly be a part of the future anyways so you should try to find someone who might be.

You know by that logic, you'd have to cut (or trade) guys like Shady and Kyle.  What do you think the reaction would be from the rest of the team knowing their captains have been cut/traded?  I can't imagine it would be positive.

40 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Minus a little depth help on the offensive line I personally don’t see the point. 

This is what I call a growth season. 

They picked their 53 and minus a spot or two they seem hell bent on seeing what these guys can do. Younger players need the experience, some of the older players are out at the end of the year anyways.

I am in the mind set they feel they can win with this group but they also don’t mind to lose with this group either

I think having better players surrounding younger players can help aid their development. That being said the two primary positions I would seek out the best possible vet free agents would be along the O-line (At all costs need to protect Josh Allen) and at DT (Have to keep guys off Edumonds and Milano.) The rest I am fine with running young guys out there or the players that are currently out there. 

But those two positions would be critical to target as I think they too heavily can negatively impact the development of other young players. 

16 hours ago, Jeff1954 said:

What is hard to understand about the bolded. They completely misjudged the situation and blundered massively.  

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think having better players surrounding younger players can help aid their development. That being said the two primary positions I would seek out the best possible vet free agents would be along the O-line (At all costs need to protect Josh Allen) and at DT (Have to keep guys off Edumonds and Milano.) The rest I am fine with running young guys out there or the players that are currently out there. 

But those two positions would be critical to target as I think they too heavily can negatively impact the development of other young players. 

It is disappointing to not see any new lineman brought in. Our current guys are just overpowered and overmatched. Both in the run and pass game