Does rain make this a winnable game?

Hebert19

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I completely agree.  Everyone, and it seems everyone, is saying this is an easy win for the Ravens against the worst team in the league.

How did we go from a playoff team with promising coach and team to the worst team in the league over the offseason? 

The Ravens, on paper, should have more proven talent than the Bills.  I get that.  But week 1 is the biggest crapshoot week of the season!  All those new players need time to learn the system and play together.  Did anyone see the game on Thursday, neither of those teams looked in sync and came out of the gates on fire.  I expect more of the same from our game.  Will the Bills win?  I'd be surprised.  But to out right dismiss them and annoit the Ravens the team to beat, at this point in the year, is completely unfounded.

The only reason I half expect a loss is because of the Ravens Defense.  They should be able to containl our offense.   How our defense fairs agaisnt their O is a much bigger question mark.  This game comes down to coaching, in my opinion.  Can McD and Daboll have them prepared, focused and a game plan developed to negate the Raven's D?  We'll see.  

Imo it is 2 things. Trading TT, drafting Allen and going with Peterman (all very unpopular with the media) and having to replace Glenn, Wood and Incognito on the OL. The media is still unaware that Glenn barely played last year had that Dawkins played well at that spot. Or that Groy is perfectly capable of starting at C. LG is a big question mark though. As far as TT, if we still had him I guarantee the outlook would be different from the national media for this game. Which I find pretty funny considering we actually know what TT looks like vs the Baltimore D and it’s straight trash. We don’t know what Peterman will look like yet, but the media doesn’t trust him based on what they saw in LA last year.

the irony of not giving peterman any credit for his preseason because it was just preseason and the defense wasn’t game planning, but assuming our D and OL will be bad because of what we saw in the preseason, even thought they also weren’t game planning. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo it is 2 things. Trading TT, drafting Allen and going with Peterman (all very unpopular with the media) and having to replace Glenn, Wood and Incognito on the OL. The media is still unaware that Glenn barely played last year had that Dawkins played well at that spot. Or that Groy is perfectly capable of starting at C. LG is a big question mark though. As far as TT, if we still had him I guarantee the outlook would be different from the national media for this game. Which I find pretty funny considering we actually know what TT looks like vs the Baltimore D and it’s straight trash. We don’t know what Peterman will look like yet, but the media doesn’t trust him based on what they saw in LA last year.

the irony of not giving peterman any credit for his preseason because it was just preseason and the defense wasn’t game planning, but assuming our D and OL will be bad because of what we saw in the preseason, even thought they also weren’t game planning. 

I completely agree with you.  On every point.    5pick Peterman is perhaps the biggest question mark, is he the guy that played in LA or the guy that played in Preseason?  Probably somewhere in the middle. 

The other irony is, He gets zero credit for looking good in preseason.  But, Flaco and his new receivers are being talked up big...because of how good they looked in preseason.    Again... This is why I think people are completely and totally underestimating the Bills.  We may not win, but I just can't see how we're going to be the worst team to play tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t realize you were analyzing the preseason. I thought you were referring to meaningful games. I do not know how good the rush D will be. Just answering the question.  Carry on. 

Still going into last year they were not good against the run. 

So question is still valid. That when did we fix the run defense. Considering OP wants to try to play ot off as some advantage than we must have a top end run defense.  We were bottom 5 in run defense last year

Edited by MAJBobby

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

local DC news.  

Rain (some heavy) throughout the night and morning. 

Light rain from 11AM to 3:30PM and heavier rain at 4.  

I believe they have a grass field so it might come down to how sloppy the field is.  

Good thing McCoy is a mudder.  Loves the slop.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

One of the more spot on posts I have read about this subject ?

Edited by DocLawless

8.5 Points is a total joke.

I'm telling you right now Bills fans, I almost never bet on my own team, but this is a full 4.5 points off where it should be.

They will have some new plays with Lamar in there, but other than that it's Joe Freakin Flacco and an Oline that can't protect him.  The same team that couldn't stop the lowly Bengals from coming into their house in a meaningless game and keep them out of the playoffs.

I'm not guaranteeing a Bills win, but remember the last REAL game we played this defense held Fournette to 21 carries 57 yards.  It will be more of the same tomorrow.   One of the worst lines I've seen and it's based on people freaking out about first half of preseason game against Cinci.  No Shady, No Dawk, No Kyle, No Gameplanning.  No nothing.

Bills win this one 20-19 and I'm collecting an easy $250 

bad weather should mean less scoring and a closer game. Still I think we'll need points off turnovers to win

Some facts of note:

• none of the current Ravens WRS were on their roster last year
  • The starting TE Hayden Hurst is OUT
  • starting Centre Matt Skura has only 12 NFL games under belt - all at OG. This is his first game as a Center

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Its the first week of the season. There are no unwinnable games. Always surprises that would never happen later in the year.  Your entire premise is wrong. 

Firstly the Ravens arent some powerhouse team. They are probably a little better than we are but if we are a 5 they might be a 6 or 7. Surely not some major upset if we win.

Secondly, as I mentioned above. First week of the year there are always some crazy results because nobody has anything real on film yet. Its hard to know exactly what a team will do.  I believe a few years ago the 49ers crushed the Rams on opening day then didn't win another game until they played them again in week 11 or 12 I think...they finished the year 2-14. Opening week doesn't mean much in terms of a teams win-loss record for the year.

yeah,  no.

Beating a Home team with a 7 point spread is a shocker. Vegas doesn’t offer gimmes ever.

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

yeah,  no.

Beating a Home team with a 7 point spread is a shocker. Vegas doesn’t offer gimmes ever.

Vegas doesnt know what will happen. They dont have a crystal ball. They are guessing just like everyone else in week 1. More than any other week a gameplan that is unexpected can get you wins.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, stuvian said:

bad weather should mean less scoring and a closer game. Still I think we'll need points off turnovers to win

Some facts of note:

• none of the current Ravens WRS were on their roster last year
  • The starting TE Hayden Hurst is OUT
  • starting Centre Matt Skura has only 12 NFL games under belt - all at OG. This is his first game as a Center

Thanks, didn't know about the Center situation.  Lets hope Kyle and Star can capitalize on that.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rain doesn’t make as much of a difference as wind. What’s the forecast for that? It’s supposed to be really windy in Cleveland tomorrow. 

Wind speed will be in the teens, a bit lower at the start of the game, a bit higher toward the end.  That is enough wind to be a factor for sure, even though it's not quite a gale.

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Wind speed will be in the teens, a bit lower at the start of the game, a bit higher toward the end.  That is enough wind to be a factor for sure, even though it's not quite a gale.

Thanks. Peterman has plenty of experience playing in the wind at Pitt. 

I think it will help the Bills run game more, but I don't see it being enough. Think it will be tough with the Ravens defense in Baltimore either way, I think they get after Petermen early and often.

So no IMO I don't see the weather helping out any more than a little bit as far as maybe the Bills running game goes but that would be it.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks, didn't know about the Center situation.  Lets hope Kyle and Star can capitalize on that.

the Cover 1 podcast had a guest blogger who covers the Ravens. He expressed a lot of worry that this Center may be facing some combination of Kyle and Star and that he felt this made them vulnerable

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I think it was without rain as I think ravens are waaaaay overrated but that's just me. 

I think our run game is our strength and I believe we can grind it out in the rain and get a W better than most.  Shady isnt afraid of the snow or rain as we know. 

Thoughts?  Weather even the playing field?  

I think it's winnable regardless. Ravens are a bit overrated , Bills underrated. It will be a competitive game imo . Shady, Ivory and Murphy should have a big day for this game and the season.