Tom Savage Potential?

Flip Johnson

I think the only way Peterman does not play the entire game against Baltimore is if he gets injured. I'm hoping Peterman plays well against Baltimore and starts the entire season, with Allen getting a significant amount of snaps in games out of reach.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I think the only way Peterman does not play the entire game against Baltimore is if he gets injured. I'm hoping Peterman plays well against Baltimore and starts the entire season, with Allen getting a significant amount of snaps in games out of reach.

I'm with you!

19 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

No, because it seems McDermott has now taken this personal and is determined to prove Peterman is a good QB, this is what we get when the HC doesn't feel his job is threatened in any way, he makes reckless decisions.

I'm sure you received this "factual" information via bat phone from the Bills Front Office, you insider you!

2 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

People forget, but last year the Texans gave their starting nod to Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson coming out of preseason. Watson was the team's future, had higher upside, was more athletic, but needed seasoning.

Savage got sacked six times in the first half by Jacksonville, got benched, and the Watson era began in the second half of the first game.

Could this happen with Josh Allen this year? I'm not hoping for this scenario, but what happens if Peterman gets sacked four times and throws a pick or two in the first half and the Bills are down a couple scores? We don't know how close a call this was. There is a scenario where Allen plays this week or next.

I expect Daboll to come up with a game plan that works and for Peterman to play effectively. However, my concern with NP is whether or not he is a guy that can play with live bullets. I'm confident that he DID look better than TT in practice last year, hence the Chargers start. Then on the road with poor blocking things got out of hand. 

Peterman also looked much better than TT playing in the 4th Quarter of the Saints game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Eh, I think Beane and McDermott didn't want to start JA from the beginning.

I would speculate they thought AJ would be the starter but...............NP did play better.

McDermott was true to his word and that's why NP is starting.

IMO

....good assessment CB......Nate has improved well beyond what I thought he could do........so why rush Allen?...kid has approached this as the commsumate, respectful, hard working professional.....not one yip or whine about extensive work with the threes..........isn't Darnold the only one from the class starting?..............

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good assessment CB......Nate has improved well beyond what I thought he could do........so why rush Allen?...kid has approached this as the commsumate, respectful, hard working professional.....not one yip or whine about extensive work with the threes..........isn't Darnold the only one from the class starting?..............

We don’t know how much Nate improved. Don’t buy into preseason too much. All the nice things everybody is saying about Nate was said last year before the Chargers game.

Edited by BananaB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The other rookies are playing behind more veteran starters.  The reason you would start Allen is because he's more talented, and in the NFL, talent wins games.

This was the case in Houston.  Savage puttered along and looked competent in the preseason, and O'Brien wanted to slow-play Watson, for all the cliched reasons.   It took one half of football to prove O'Brien wrong.  In fact, he was probably lucky that Savage was so stunningly bad, because if he was just mediocre, O'Brien probably would have played him 5 or 6 more games.  Watson's strong play probably saved O'Brien's job.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

People forget, but last year the Texans gave their starting nod to Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson coming out of preseason. Watson was the team's future, had higher upside, was more athletic, but needed seasoning.

Savage got sacked six times in the first half by Jacksonville, got benched, and the Watson era began in the second half of the first game.

Could this happen with Josh Allen this year? I'm not hoping for this scenario, but what happens if Peterman gets sacked four times and throws a pick or two in the first half and the Bills are down a couple scores? We don't know how close a call this was. There is a scenario where Allen plays this week or next.

I expect Daboll to come up with a game plan that works and for Peterman to play effectively. However, my concern with NP is whether or not he is a guy that can play with live bullets. I'm confident that he DID look better than TT in practice last year, hence the Chargers start. Then on the road with poor blocking things got out of hand. 

Yeah and he was so bad he got pulled at halftime of their first game

23 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah and he was so bad he got pulled at halftime of their first game

This is my point. We don't know how close the Peterman/Allen competition has been. I'm sure Bill O'Brien said "Deshaun is on schedule" and people expected Savage to play at least several games before the switch happened. 

I am rooting for NP. But if he puts up a goose egg in the first half or first game I can't see the Bills sticking with him for long.

The point is not that "Allen is Watson" - it is that NP might be Savage.

Edited by Flip Johnson

7 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

No, because it seems McDermott has now taken this personal and is determined to prove Peterman is a good QB, this is what we get when the HC doesn't feel his job is threatened in any way, he makes reckless decisions.

Disagree

He gave TT a long leash last year and TT seemed to earn it by not losing games..... even though his lack of production did.

If NP moves the ball more effectively through the air he will get a decent amount of slack also , even if the Ints go up a bit. 

Allen simply isn’t ready. 

32 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Deshaun Watson was one of the best players in college football for 3 years. 

Josh Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West Conference. 

This seems unlikely. Allen is going to take a while to develop. 

Sadly - ^^ This ^^^

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Eh, I think Beane and McDermott didn't want to start JA from the beginning.

I would speculate they thought AJ would be the starter but...............NP did play better.

McDermott was true to his word and that's why NP is starting.

IMO

I think this is a pretty good take.  I think McD was willing to start JA - if he proved he could play

I think McD was only willing to start JA ahead of AJM/NP *if* both of them proved (in preseason) they couldn't play

Peterman looked improved over last year and looked better than AJM, and JA did NOT prove he was ready so....

• Like (+1) 1