Snobby about chicken wings

Jrb1979

On 10/14/2018 at 12:24 PM, Limeaid said:

Contrary to what some Buffalo snobs think cooking chicken wings was not invented in Buffalo just the sauce at Anchor Bar.

Chinese have been making dishes with Chicken Wings for hundreds of years.  My wife got a 40# box of chicken wings at Restaurant Depot and a damn low price and cooks them at home using various Chinese styles.   And I do not eat them with ranch sauce.

Why are you the way you are?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, Wacka said:

Never had wings as good as  WNY wings out of town  (unless I kmade them. The best in other places was a bar in Charleston,SC  and ones that were made by our Bills Backers group at a Bills tailgate in Oakland.

What bar?

Don't have the  faintest idea. It was almost 20 years ago. It was on a street with lots of small restaurants and bars.I was sick of eating seafood and wanted some thing different. I saw wings advertised out front. Asked if they breaded or fried them.. They said fried and they were good.

Edited by Wacka

On 2/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’ve never been that impressed with the event. Long line after long line in the blazing sun for a handful of overpriced wings .... and it’s rather difficult to eat wings while standing and holding them  ... too many nonsensical eating  contests on the stage ... I am probably in the minority here, but I’d rather just go to my favorite wing joint instead. 

I agree wholeheartedly. It’s a crappy event IMO.  Wings are made at a central location and then are distributed to the vendors where they are sauced.  There is zero chance of getting a crispy wing.  Also the lines sucked.  Crispy wings matter!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree wholeheartedly. It’s a crappy event IMO.  Wings are made at a central location and then are distributed to the vendors where they are sauced.  There is zero chance of getting a crispy wing.  Also the lines sucked.  Crispy wings matter!

I actually got some crispy wings last year

Idk how I managed it but I did

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I realized last year that the dry rubs stayed crispier than the sauced wings for the most part

So I tried out a bunch of those and got some crispy ones... SOME

Without a doubt, dry wings will stay crispier for way longer than sauced wings, all other things equal.  As delicious as it is, the classic buffalo wing sauce is the enemy of crispy skin.  Wings with sugary glazes also fare better than wetter sauces.  I add some thickening agents (xantham gum, corn starch slurry) to my standard buffalo sauce to coat the wing better and prevent soggy skin.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Without a doubt, dry wings will stay crispier for way longer than sauced wings, all other things equal.  As delicious as it is, the classic buffalo wing sauce is the enemy of crispy skin.  Wings with sugary glazes also fare better than wetter sauces.  I add some thickening agents (xantham gum, corn starch slurry) to my standard buffalo sauce to coat the wing better and prevent soggy skin.

One of my good friends owns a pizzeria on city lines in Sloan Lovejoy

He is always doing new stuff and finding new flavors to wing it

Recently he has come up with his own version of the classic buffalo wings which he does in hot medium mild

Honey Garlic sriracha and they are to die for! What makes it superb is that the thick rich Sriracha does not make super soggy skin but keeps it crispier

9 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It may not be curing cancer at the Children's Hospital, but defending blue cheese vs the foulness that is Ranch counts as community service and making the world a better place! 

• Like (+1) 1

ranch and bleu cheese are for pussies

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I for the life of me can’t understand why you guys don’t use ranch with wings.  It’s so much better.

Can I report you for that????

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A decent wing needs neither.

Agreed 100%, but a little blue cheese along the way is fine. If you dip your wing in Ranch, it should be used as a suppository to teach you the error of your ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2018 at 2:54 PM, Chef Jim said:

What the !@#$ is grease explosion?

Well, let me tell ya. Years ago I deep fried something or another, turned off the fry daddy and fed my kids dinner. As I washed dishes I saw my son flicking water into the still hot oil for the popping effect. Evidently, he continued this until the oil had cooled and continued putting more and more water in. I am guessing that an ounce or three wound up settling in the bottom when the oil finally cooled.

Next day: I am at work, kids are at school, and my mom who lived with us briefly decided to fry something using the oil from last night... 

The water which had settled to the bottom of the fryer (obviously, she nor me realized), became super heated to 350+ degrees, and just as she dropped in her French fries, or whatever, the whole mess frigging EXPLODED! She was wearing a night gown and wound up with some serious burns on her neck, chest, arms and tops of her bare feet. The entire kitchen, including the ceiling were coated in oil.

The foot tracks in the carpet to the bathroom were still there when we moved out.

My son still hates to hear this story.

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Well, let me tell ya. Years ago I deep fried something or another, turned off the fry daddy and fed my kids dinner. As I washed dishes I saw my son flicking water into the still hot oil for the popping effect. Evidently, he continued this until the oil had cooled and continued putting more and more water in. I am guessing that an ounce or three wound up settling in the bottom when the oil finally cooled.

Next day: I am at work, kids are at school, and my mom who lived with us briefly decided to fry something using the oil from last night... 

The water which had settled to the bottom of the fryer (obviously, she nor me realized), became super heated to 350+ degrees, and just as she dropped in her French fries, or whatever, the whole mess frigging EXPLODED! She was wearing a night gown and wound up with some serious burns on her neck, chest, arms and tops of her bare feet. The entire kitchen, including the ceiling were coated in oil.

The foot tracks in the carpet to the bathroom were still there when we moved out.

My son still hates to hear this story.

When I was in middle school my college age sister started screaming downstairs. LOUDLY! We were home alone and I ran downstairs as fast as I could. She was making popcorn the old fashion way, with super hot oil (years before a microwave). I could smell the smoke before I arrived at the raging fire in the kitchen. My sister opened the sliding glass door nearby and bravely (but not very wisely) grabbed the pot of fire and threw it out the back door........only to realize she had not opened the screen door behind the glass door! 

The giant pot of fire bounced off the screen door back into the dining room. Fire everywhere! I opened the screen and kicked the pot out. The carpet had....some issues after that night. I haven’t taunted her about this for decades. Thanks for reminding me! I can’t wait until her next visit!!!

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I was in middle school my college age sister started screaming downstairs. LOUDLY! We were home alone and I ran downstairs as fast as I could. She was making popcorn the old fashion way, with super hot oil (years before a microwave). I could smell the smoke before I arrived at the raging fire in the kitchen. My sister opened the sliding glass door nearby and bravely (but not very wisely) grabbed the pot of fire and threw it out the back door........only to realize she had not opened the screen door behind the glass door! 

The giant pot of fire bounced off the screen door back into the dining room. Fire everywhere! I opened the screen and kicked the pot out. The carpet had....some issues after that night. I haven’t taunted her about this for decades. Thanks for reminding me! I can’t wait until her next visit!!!

Scary story but I just want to let you know that making popcorn in a pot on the stove is not for old fashioned way it’s the ONLY way!  Microwave popcorn....?

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

A decent wing needs neither.

Do you put ketchup on your fries?

51 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Scary story but I just want to let you know that making popcorn in a pot on the stove is not for old fashioned way it’s the ONLY way!  Microwave popcorn....?

Do you put ketchup on your fries?

Depends on the fries.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Clearly, the “Fun Factor” of knowing the house could burn down is worth going old school! Life on the edge!