The non challenge by Mcdermott

I agree with those who say he should have challenged it.  Your Rookie QB made a good play and potentially got a rare first down.  If we challenge and win, you might build some confidence for the offense (and the young QB) and it would provide more snaps to evaluate them.  I also agree that McD's in-game decision making was suspect last year and it would be beneficial to the coaching staff to practice their challenge "process," which clearly needs some work.  I also agree that we were fortunate to win the Indy game and had a number of lucky things go our way to help pull out that win.  Better game management may have allowed us to win without needing the luck.  (And I am a big McD supporter).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

C'mon dude. If thats a regular season game that's challenged all day. Probably wanted Josh on the sidelines to calm him down and not press.

Very shortsighted on your part.  Your talking about a young QB competing for a starting job who was having a rough gane up until that point. If he challengedit and Allen went on to have a long scoring drive the QB competition would look alot different right now.  I'm fairly shocked yu and others being knowledgable fans could say such a thing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Just because the game was won doesn't mean the coach didn't make any errors.    I agree with St. Pete, that punt never should have happened.   We won because the best kicker of all time missed a kick from the 9 yard line, another 42 yarder, and we had a super lucky endzone call at the end to keep things alive.   

The point is if you have a great offense and want to coach conservatively that's one thing, but if you have one of the worst offenses in the league you'll need to have some balls and take some risks here and there.   The NO challenge flag in a meaningless Bengals preseason game in front of a huge crowd was ridiculously weak considering you rookie qb just layed out for a dive to move the sticks and got damn close (worst case it's 4th and inches and a great way to play smashmouth with Ivory and get your Oline and Josh Allen some confidence).

I don't buy the "it's just preseason" crap.  It's team football and you're looking for good things to build on, so McD needs to lose the bra sometimes and go for it.

(i don't mean Mike Tomlin stupid, just don't be a puss)

Thank you.  I don't have the analytics at my fingertips but I'm guessing that at the time of the overtime punt against the Colts, there was about a 90% chance of the game ending in a Bills loss or a tie.  No I didn't walk out of the Oilers game at halftime.  My brother did.  I was taping the game in LA.  Turned the recording off at halftime (why would I ever want to watch that nightmare again?).  When the comeback started, I was too "superstitious" to turn the recording back on!  I still have the Shout magazine cover with Reich and Christie jumping in the air.  It's hanging in my office.  Christie, by the way, lives in St. Pete and his daughter went to my daughter's high school.  My wife got him to talk at career day.   It was pretty hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Just because the game was won doesn't mean the coach didn't make any errors.    I agree with St. Pete, that punt never should have happened.   We won because the best kicker of all time missed a kick from the 9 yard line, another 42 yarder, and we had a super lucky endzone call at the end to keep things alive.   

The point is if you have a great offense and want to coach conservatively that's one thing, but if you have one of the worst offenses in the league you'll need to have some balls and take some risks here and there.   The NO challenge flag in a meaningless Bengals preseason game in front of a huge crowd was ridiculously weak considering you rookie qb just layed out for a dive to move the sticks and got damn close (worst case it's 4th and inches and a great way to play smashmouth with Ivory and get your Oline and Josh Allen some confidence).

I don't buy the "it's just preseason" crap.  It's team football and you're looking for good things to build on, so McD needs to lose the bra sometimes and go for it.

(i don't mean Mike Tomlin stupid, just don't be a puss)

OK.

I'm gonna go with Coach McDermott's decisions.  He got a team to the playoffs that no one thought was possible.  He obviously knows what he's doing.  So I think he just needs to keep on keepin' on.

And, it's pre season and it means less than nothing.  It's about evaluating talent (which you can't really do in RS because you're trying to win), not winning. 

How many pre season games did Marv win?  How many did the 0-16 Lions win?

Edited by reddogblitz

26 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Very shortsighted on your part.  Your talking about a young QB competing for a starting job who was having a rough gane up until that point. If he challengedit and Allen went on to have a long scoring drive the QB competition would look alot different right now.  I'm fairly shocked yu and others being knowledgable fans could say such a thing.  

I understand your mindset and true instilling confidence in your young QB is important but as many have mentioned it's preseason and the kid was laboring. They also know he's not as bad as Sundays game. No LT and no starting RB. The O line was a sieve and Cincy had their ears pinned back knowing the kid is trying to impress.  I really think McBean have no intention of starting Josh. A first down there IMO would not have helped his cause, just another set of downs to possibly get hurt. Shortsighted? Maybe, but you gotta protect the investment in a meaningless game. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

My question is, I know they changed the sliding rule for QBs.  Does anyone know exactly how it was changed?  I thought I had heard that if a qb dives head first, the ball is marked down where he started his dive, not where the ball ends up.  Is that really the case?  If so, that shouldn’t have been a first down, he started the dive before the ball was over the mark.  I could be completely wrong though, I heard it on a podcast while I was on the phone 

You are correct and that is why it wasn't a first down and was not challenged:

• If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.

• A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I think he just wAnted to punt. He picks bubble guys on how they do on kicking teams.  It's pre season.

around here we just concentrate one one position. He has to  consider them all.

Is there really such a thing aS "momentum" in pre season?

If there is it was all lost on the first play of the game,Ross went All Madden with the big catch spin juke deke and TD ;)

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't care about any of that in a pre-season game, and I don't think the coaching staff does either.  

Having said that, McD made a steady stream of typical football coaching errors in games last year; it's a weak spot in his game.  

Let's hope he improves in that regard this season.

He's from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

Andy has always been week with in game coaching errors and clock management.

Hoping he learns, but I won't hold my breath.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Teams that botch challenges in the 3rd preseason game and get blown out in the 4th preseason game have never won the Grey Cup.

Oskee wee wee, Oskee whaa whaa, holy mackinaw, Tigers eatem raw ;)

(Thats the Hamilton Ti Cats Cheer)  

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He should’ve challenged.  It’s preseason so I’m not worried about it.  

My question is, I know they changed the sliding rule for QBs.  Does anyone know exactly how it was changed?  I thought I had heard that if a qb dives head first, the ball is marked down where he started his dive, not where the ball ends up.  Is that really the case?  If so, that shouldn’t have been a first down, he started the dive before the ball was over the mark.  I could be completely wrong though, I heard it on a podcast while I was on the phone 

Best comment I’ve seen.  I don’t know the new rule, but if there was a rule change impacting that play it certainly caught the announcers flat-footed and they had that officiating guru there too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

It's a little late but the Josh Allen scramble play against Cincy that would have almost surely been a first down (if not atleast moved up nearly a full yard). And instead of challenging the play they rush their punt team on as if they were the ones afraid of a Cincy challenge.  That could have been the momentum shift the Bills and Allen needed to gain some confidence and turn the game around.  

Between that and the punt in the Colts game they definitely are cause for concern regarding Mcdermotts in game decision making.  

Did you want McD to challenge just for the sake of challenging?  From what I saw, there was no way that call would have ever been over turned.  If they had initially ruled it a 1st down that call too would have stuck as there was no conclusive evidence to overturn either way. 

The TV broadcast showed the replay and stopped the replay to show how close it was as the ball was dead even with the sticks.  The problem was from what I saw he actually contacted the ground about 5 frames ago and at that point was still extending the ball, but the ball also was still behind the line.  That's what I saw, I could be wrong, but the fact that I feel I saw that is enough to say there wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

You need to take off your Bills tinted sunglasses and watch things objectively.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Did you want McD to challenge just for the sake of challenging?  From what I saw, there was no way that call would have ever been over turned.  If they had initially ruled it a 1st down that call too would have stuck as there was no conclusive evidence to overturn either way. 

The TV broadcast showed the replay and stopped the replay to show how close it was as the ball was dead even with the sticks.  The problem was from what I saw he actually contacted the ground about 5 frames ago and at that point was still extending the ball, but the ball also was still behind the line.  That's what I saw, I could be wrong, but the fact that I feel I saw that is enough to say there wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

You need to take off your Bills tinted sunglasses and watch things objectively.

Wow... Did you watch the game?  Yeh, watch it again pal. 

• Like (+1) 1

You have to consider a lot in a short period of time before you throw the challenge flag.  On a lot of those "line of gain" challenges, they end up being inconclusive.  From what I saw he probably got it but there had to be clear irrefutable evidence, not sure we had that on that play.

4 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

you might be right but he might have already decided that JA is sitting until a set date and does not want any controversy in the locker room. I think it had more to do with not wanting to extend his time on field with our line getting him killed.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

You have to consider a lot in a short period of time before you throw the challenge flag.  On a lot of those "line of gain" challenges, they end up being inconclusive.  From what I saw he probably got it but there had to be clear irrefutable evidence, not sure we had that on that play.

agreed and it appears in the few preseason games I have watched  since the super bowl they are trying to defer to call on field unless horrible call. it was close so I doubt they overturn.