The non challenge by Mcdermott

3 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Very shortsighted on your part.  Your talking about a young QB competing for a starting job who was having a rough gane up until that point. If he challengedit and Allen went on to have a long scoring drive the QB competition would look alot different right now.  I'm fairly shocked yu and others being knowledgable fans could say such a thing.  

of if he had completed the 2nd and 13 play OR the next play.

46 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Wow... Did you watch the game?  Yeh, watch it again pal. 

Yes watched it If you think that was a no brainer over turn, you better get your eyes checked.

There has to be conclusive evidence to over turn.  Way to close to overturn, in fact I'd argue they made the correct all based on where the ball was when he first contacted to ground.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes watched it If you think that was a no brainer over turn, you better get your eyes checked.

There has to be conclusive evidence to over turn.  Way to close to overturn, in fact I'd argue they made the correct all based on where the ball was when he first contacted to ground.

I wish people would educate themselves with the new QB slide rules.   The same people keep arguing the same (incorrect) points...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I wish people would educate themselves with the new QB slide rules.   The same people keep arguing the same (incorrect) points...

Even based on old rules, where is the ball the instant your body contacts the ground, that determines ball placement.  The new slide rules potentially can bring the ball back further, but either way ball can't go beyond position once contacting ground.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Even based on old rules, where is the ball the instant your body contacts the ground, that determines ball placement.  The new slide rules potentially can bring the ball back further, but either way ball can't go beyond position once contacting ground.

Exactly.  Yet many posts in this thread, including the OP, keep arguing otherwise...

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Exactly.  Yet many posts in this thread, including the OP, keep arguing otherwise...

Aren't you the guy arguing who said you may or may not have seen the replay.  Come on now, get with it. 

Edited by Estelle Getty

10 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

Well as long as you think your live look fromthe stands is more accurate than 4 slow motion replays then we will agree to disagree.  

I saw the replay as well.  It was inconclusive when his leg hit the ground.   Live, it was clear to me that it touched before the first down marker, so the spot was good.  But crusade away if it makes you feel better...

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

You are correct and that is why it wasn't a first down and was not challenged:

• If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.

• A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.

There is no evidence Allen gave himself up on that dive.

He dove forward, and when his knee touched at that exact same time he had the ball outstretched and at the first down line to gain. Stills showed this.

It was a first down and the replay of the play showed that.

16 hours ago, the skycap said:

Did he give a reason why he didn't challenge the call?

No one even asked him in the post game presser or the game after presser. Bunch of weak ass media.

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Did you want McD to challenge just for the sake of challenging?  From what I saw, there was no way that call would have ever been over turned.  If they had initially ruled it a 1st down that call too would have stuck as there was no conclusive evidence to overturn either way. 

The TV broadcast showed the replay and stopped the replay to show how close it was as the ball was dead even with the sticks.  The problem was from what I saw he actually contacted the ground about 5 frames ago and at that point was still extending the ball, but the ball also was still behind the line.  That's what I saw, I could be wrong, but the fact that I feel I saw that is enough to say there wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

You need to take off your Bills tinted sunglasses and watch things objectively.

wrong. At the exact moment his knee touched Allen had the ball already extended to the sticks. He had the ball extended before his knee hit.

19 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I don't think the spot is as black-and-white as most fans think as far as winning that challenge.  It's hard to tell when the foot might have touched out of bounds or the knee hit the ground.  I think they got a crappy spot, but I'm biased.  I wouldn't call it indisputable.

Also, why bother using a challenge in preseason?  I know they keep score but as a coach you're not really trying to win in preseason, it's primarily about evaluation for the coaches (and avoiding injuries).

If that was the case why did McD challenge the obvious no fumble by the Bear player last night.??

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, cba fan said:

He dove forward, and when his knee touched at that exact same time he had the ball outstretched and at the first down line to gain. Stills showed this.

It was a first down and the replay of the play showed that.

No one even asked him in the post game presser or the game after presser. Bunch of weak ass media.

He definitely was not "giving himself up", he was diving for the 1st down.

That being said I rewatched the play a few times and when his leg made contact the ball was at the marker.

A challenge would of been close and from what I seen he made the 1st.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I like McD but he has yet to show anything on offense, and his in game decisions have been suspect. Only his second year though. There is so much to learn as a HC your first year. 

That call, however, was lousy. You definitely challenge in preseason because your most important position is QB and your star rookie just made a gutsy athletic play which would have been a first down and huge confidence builder for him and the offense and the team, and if it wasn't won, wouldn't have hurt a thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

It's his fatal flaw 

Agreed.

Make it like baseball.

He needs to hire a coach to be his "closer" 

Each game, Andy retires to the showers with 2:00 left in the first half, then returns after halftime, only to go back into the locker room halfway through the 4th.

I said Eli Manning should also be a "closer".

He should only play during the 2:00 warning first half, and 4th quarter of games

38 minutes ago, cba fan said:

The new rule say the moment you start to go to the ground--either feet or head first--you're giving yourself up.    And the ball is spotted at the first place to touch, not where it is extended to....