Saints trade 3rd round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

What has teddy done to earn a trade? Does anyone remember him playing? It’s like the injury made people forget he wasn’t that good. Good backup but not a starter 

He was the best QB in Jets camp and preseason, he looked like a legit starter.  Now, will that transfer to the regular season, will his body hold up, etc is another question.  But he certainly looked the part.  Almost 74% of his passes complete, 8.3 YPA, and 2 TD's, 1 INT.  Its just preseason, and didnt follow Jets close enough to evaluate the stat line in more depth, but when I was watching highlights, he certainly looked pretty good to me.  

That all being said, there is just no way I would have felt good about trading a 3rd for him...talent wise and potential, sure I think he has shown enough there over his career and preseason to warrant a 3rd...but after two gruesome leg injuries, I would never be comfortable investing that into him right now before he has proved he can hold up.  Really surprised Saints spent so much.  I totally get their interest because if he proves to be a good starting QB, they don't have to invest higher resources for a Brees replacement when he retires in next year or two.  

But a 3rd right now is an over pay IMO due to his injury risk, no assurances you can resign him if Brees doesn't retire next year either.  To me, this was as foolish an over pay as Cleveland paid us for TT given they were going to take a QB #1 overall.  But at least you know TT will be on the field even if he is just seat warmer for a season.  There is a good chance Saints get no value out of Teddy if Brees doesn't get hurt or if Teddy doesn't resign there this off season.  Not to mention, no way to know you can count on his body even holding up to an NFL season.

Jets did real good here, Saints took a big gamble with a significant chance they get no value out of that 3rd they just gave away.

He'll be ready for 2019 figure this is Brees's last year he's made his money he's got his ring, and i'm sure some passing records.   

Peyton will now have a 25yr old QB who is ready to step right in and New Orleans won't skip a beat at QB. 

57 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not the team I’d have necessarily expected to trade for him. But they have very little behind Drew Brees, and they were after a QB last year. So it’s not all that surprising. 

Wonder if if they will try to re-sign him, or if they just view him as insurance for this season. 

Payton has said that Taysom Hill may be their QB of the future so maybe they don't think he's ready to be the backup.  They also have Tom Savage and J.T. Barrett.

45 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

What has teddy done to earn a trade? Does anyone remember him playing? It’s like the injury made people forget he wasn’t that good. Good backup but not a starter 

He wasn't playing lights out in Min before the injury, but his career was on the right path. He was supposed to take the next step and lead that team forward when the injury happened. 

That being said, his dedication and hard work for the past two years, as well as his showing in camp and preseason still makes it seem that he could turn into a franchise guy. He is relatively young as well. The injury is a huge risk, but for a third round pick I think it makes perfect sense. 

As painful as it is to admit, the Jet's absolutely nailed the offseason at QB. Obviously history will tell the true story, but so far they did a great job.

Now we can only hope that Bridgewater is the second best QB in the league (after Allen of course) in 3 years and Darnold is selling used cars. 

23 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The difference here being we are paying Tyrod $7.6 million dollars to not play for us, while the Jets are paying Bridgewater 500k.

It's a long view sort of thing, but in the immediate the Jets front office has run circles around Beane and McDermott this off season. 

Bills aren't paying Tyrod anything. Browns ate the bonus, but the Bills are stuck with $7.6 million that they can't use. Difference between cap space and real cash outlay.

I read that the Jets paid a million dollar bonus to Bridgewater, a signing bonus and a workout bonus of $500K each.

Edited by buffaloaggie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Smart move...Payton will do a good job with him

It was never about this off season , it was about setting the table, clearing up cap space and dead money for next off-season.

I dont disagree in theory.  But the immediate scenario for both teams is almost identical.   They both spent this and last offseason clearing cap space and eating dead money to try and lay a foundation moving forward.   In my opinion the Bills probably did a little better job of that, but not by much. The Jets also cleared a lot of space over the next three years.  Something like a 850k dollar difference in favor of the Bills

The Bridgewater move aside, and it shouldnt be discounted because it was honestly a great one, the Jets spent this offseason out maneuvering the Bills in draft position, and they did it while having a less torn down roster.   I love the Bills, but the Jets are doing a terrific job right now.

Ultimately, none of this will matter long term if Allen is better than Darnold.   That is my fervent hope. 

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I thought he was pretty good when he played previously. Looked decent in preseason this year. He’s a QB coming back from an injury that showed promise before it. By all accounts a great guy too. It was obvious he’d get another shot somewhere other than NY and they got a pretty good asset in return. He was a commodity once they drafted Darnold. 

He was.  I think Bills fans would be ecstatic if Allen could do as well as TBW in his first two NFL seasons.  He started 12 games as a rookie, threw 14 TDs, 12 INTs, and 2900+ yards.   As a sophomore, he threw for 14 TDs, 9 INTs, 3200+ yards and led the Vikings to an 11-5 record and the playoffs.  He averaged more than 7.5 YPA, which isn't too shabby either.  BTW,  Adrian Peterson played in every game for the Vikes that season, averaged 92+ yards a game, and led the NFL in rushing with 1485 yards, so it wasn't like the Vikes didn't throw a whole lot because of TBW.  They didn't have a spectacular passing game because they had the best rusher in the NFL.

If NO wasn't a good place for Bridgewater, I'd say he got screwed -- signed with the Jets and ended up traded.  But, given the situation in NO and considering Darnold is looking good, this is actually a great outcome for Bridgewater too.  

As for the Jets nailing the deal, this does get them a third rounder, but in their case that's yet another chance to screw up a high draft pick.  Consider the Jets' track record before anointing them geniuses.  

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont disagree in theory.  But the immediate scenario for both teams is almost identical.   They both spent this and last offseason clearing cap space and eating dead money to try and lay a foundation moving forward.   In my opinion the Bills probably did a little better job of that, but not by much. The Jets also cleared a lot of space over the next three years.  Something like a 850k dollar difference in favor of the Bills

The Bridgewater move aside, and it shouldnt be discounted because it was honestly a great one, the Jets spent this offseason out maneuvering the Bills in draft position, and they did it while having a less torn down roster.   I love the Bills, but the Jets are doing a terrific job right now.

Ultimately, none of this will matter long term if Allen is better than Darnold.   That is my fervent hope. 

The NY Post wrote an article blasting the Jets front office a few days ago because basically thr majority of the draft picks McCagnan has taken in his years there are in danger of being cut this year...they are saying street free agents are coming in and leapfrogging players picked by him and they said his draft record so far has been abysmal.  Look up the article it was only wrote a few days ago...believe it was by Maneesh Meta. So looking at it from that persepctive there is no way the Jets have outdone the Bills since Beane has been here...he has mostly done masterful work of ridding the Bills of bad contracts and getting good value for players that had value and maneuvering through the draft. With one pick last year Beane has done better McCagnan has his whole time there by drafting Tre and setting us up to have enough ammo to trade up for a QB this year.

Found it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/08/27/jets-gm-cant-avoid-his-draft-busts-as-cut-day-approaches/amp/

Edited by matter2003