Saints trade 3rd round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good landing spot for him considering Brees' age. TBW could easily be seen as the heir apparent. 

I wonder if that is how they view him honestly. The potential heir. 

Or a solid back up with an upside ?
I might guess this is just an invested insurance for Brees. And hoping Teddy is Coachable and can develop his game. 

ps i liked this kid all along. even with his faults /weaknesses early on.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

He was still # 9 in pass attempts last year with over 500.

Even using last year as an example, they still threw the ball a TON.

Wow, I didn't check that.  Thats interesting.

Bridgewater is completely wrong for that offense.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow, I didn't check that.  Thats interesting.

Bridgewater is completely wrong for that offense.

Agreed.

I had to look it up honestly, because I was like "im pretty sure brees still went over 4300 yards last year, yep, #9 in passing attempts. bridge bad idea"

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

I had to look it up honestly, because I was like "im pretty sure brees still went over 4300 yards last year, yep, #9 in passing attempts. bridge bad idea"

In the 3 seasons before that Brees for 15,000 yards.  Teddy B has a little over 6000 career yards...

Calling Bridgewater perfect for that offense is very bizarre.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I wonder if that is how they view him honestly. The potential heir. 

Or a solid back up with an upside ?
I might guess this is just an invested insurance for Brees. And hoping Teddy is Coachable and can develop his game. 

ps i liked this kid all along. even with his faults /weaknesses early on.

Probably not the heir but someone who can maybe play real well for a spell.

Dare I say a "Bridge".

Jod well done by the Jets front office.  Turned a $500k signing bonus paid to Teddy into a 3rd round pick.  That's called good business.  Why no other teams were willing to pay Teddy a little more than that never made any sense.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What has teddy done to earn a trade? Does anyone remember him playing? It’s like the injury made people forget he wasn’t that good. Good backup but not a starter 

He was pretty legit his rookie season I think. He put up good fantasy numbers iirc. Not that that really means that much. 

It was a nice trade for the jets--getting a 3rd for him.

It was a nice summer job for Teddy, picking up a cool million for showing up for a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Idandria said:

He was pretty legit his rookie season I think. He put up good fantasy numbers iirc. Not that that really means that much. 

2900 yards, 14 TDs/12 ints.  What kind of league are you in?

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Probably not the heir but someone who can maybe play real well for a spell.

Dare I say a "Bridge".

well you certainly can  !

17 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Did the Jets turn a FA agent signing into a third round pick. That is some nice gm work. 

Didn't they recently upgrade GM ?

13 minutes ago, Estro said:

Jod well done by the Jets front office.  Turned a $500k signing bonus paid to Teddy into a 3rd round pick.  That's called good business.  Why no other teams were willing to pay Teddy a little more than that never made any sense.

he was still high risk, injury wise.
but yes I would have

especially now knowing about Tyrod being moved as he was .

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I find it interesting how a select few bills fans are already complaining the jets outdid us this offseason....

You guys do know that wont be known for a least a couple of years right?  The instant gratification crowd can put their hand down now.

The JETS put their eggs in one basket.   

Will they make it to the end without a few broken eggs?  Hard to tell.   

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It makes perfect sense. The Saints are trying to make their run at the Super Bowl. Bridgewater protects them in the event of a Brees injury. Their window is now.

Yeah in theory that sounds good but.... you & I both know if brees goes down, Bridgewater is not going to lead the Saints to the promise land.  Bad trade for the Saints imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

What I'm seeing from Jets fans in my family and friends that they're not happy with the compensation for Teddy. They wanted a second at least. They are not the smartest bunch but I do think getting Teddy for a third is rather cheap. 

Are you insulting the Jets' front office intelligence, or your friends' and family's intelligence?  ?

20 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah in theory that sounds good but.... you & I both know if brees goes down, Bridgewater is not going to lead the Saints to the promise land.  Bad trade for the Saints imo.  

It’s no different than the Eagles last year. The Saints are a different team than they were. They were at the top of the league with 4.7 YPC and rushed for over 2,000 yards last year. They are balanced on offense and can rush the passer on defense. This is the most balanced Saints team since 2009. 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s no different than the Eagles last year. The Saints are a different team than they were. They were at the top of the league with 4.7 YPC and rushed for over 2,000 yards last year. They are balanced on offense and can rush the passer on defense. This is the most balanced Saints team since 2009. 

They still needed a top 5 passing game and Brees's 4300 yards to work with that running game (which was 5th in yards).  They passed 536 times and ran 444, with nearly twice as many passing first downs as rushing.

Bridgewater will need a 23 game regular season to get that many yards passing...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

They still needed a top 5 passing game and Brees's 4300 yards to work with that running game (which was 5th in yards).  They passed 536 times and ran 444, with nearly twice as many passing first downs as rushing.

Bridgewater will need a 23 game regular season to get that many yards passing...

They don’t though. They’ve pretty much changed the way that they were constructed because it didn’t work. They are a balanced offense that rushes the passer and creates turnovers. They’ve spent the last 2 seasons remaking the secondary, pass rusher and running game. The days of the 5,000 yards passing are gone. They believe, that they are good enough now to withstand Brees missing significant time. That would have been blasphemous not that long ago. They might be right now. That’s why they made the move.

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They don’t though. They’ve pretty much changed the way that they were constructed because it didn’t work. They are a balanced offense that rushes the passer and creates turnovers. They’ve spent the last 2 seasons remaking the secondary, pass rusher and running game. The days of the 5,000 yards passing are gone. They believe, that they are good enough now to withstand Brees missing significant time. That would have been blasphemous not that long ago. They might be right now. That’s why they made the move.

That defense gives up a lot of yards, 10th in points.  4 more TO's forced than the year before, 3 more than the year before that.

I'm sure they are intrigued with TB as a backup (currently "Tayson Hill").  I can't imagine they really believe that they would win as many games with Brees out.  Yes the days of 5000 yards may be gone (let's see them do it for 2 seasons in a row for the first time in the Brees era), but that team won't win like this with a 3000 yard QB who hasn't played in a long time (relative to his lightweight career to this point).

Edited by Mr. WEO