Saints trade 3rd round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

What has teddy done to earn a trade? Does anyone remember him playing? It’s like the injury made people forget he wasn’t that good. Good backup but not a starter 

I thought he was pretty good when he played previously. Looked decent in preseason this year. He’s a QB coming back from an injury that showed promise before it. By all accounts a great guy too. It was obvious he’d get another shot somewhere other than NY and they got a pretty good asset in return. He was a commodity once they drafted Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think that was a good landing spot for Teddy, and a smart play by the Saints.  They look like they are committed to a balanced attack, and Teddy is ideal for that.  I definitely don't think the Saints look at it as a one year rental.  They are thinking post Drew

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nate Peterman wouldn’t fetch a bag of sweaty jockstraps in a trade. 

Teddy can play but I think you're selling Nate short.  He's still got years remaining on a very cheap rookie deal and he's showing some ability.  Weakish arm aside, he's got the brain, the mental clock and is a decent athlete. He's a great prospect as a backup. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

How do you figure it's not long term?

I don't get that idea (not long term), either.   Instead of gambling on a QB in the draft where almost 3  out of 5 first rounders crash and burn, the Saints took a more practical route.   Bridgewater isn't a career backup but has been successful at the NFL level.  He's a backup only because of a near career-ending injury.

Is he Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck?  Probably not, but there's no guarantee that any of the 2017 or 2018 first round QBs will be confused for Rodgers or Luck, either.  TBW is at least as good as QBs like Flacco, Dalton, Bortles, etc and maybe even as good as top tier QBs like Roethlisberger, Stafford or Ryan.  I think that the Saints play a much more wide-open offensive style than the Vikings did when TBW was their QB, too, so he can't be judged by his limited statistical success early on in his career.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Before anyone starts proclaiming the Jets absolute geniuses remember we traded Tyrod for the first pick in the 3rd round last year.

The difference here being we are paying Tyrod $7.6 million dollars to not play for us, while the Jets are paying Bridgewater 500k.

It's a long view sort of thing, but in the immediate the Jets front office has run circles around Beane and McDermott this off season. 

Smart move...Payton will do a good job with him

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

The difference here being we are paying Tyrod $7.6 million dollars to not play for us, while the Jets are paying Bridgewater 500k.

It's a long view sort of thing, but in the immediate the Jets front office has run circles around Beane and McDermott this off season. 

It was never about this off season , it was about setting the table, clearing up cap space and dead money for next off-season.

Edited by matter2003