Reality vs. hysteria

oldmanfan

Most everybody on this board has sounded really chippy the past few days, predicting big things from J Allen.

He looked like a rookie playing in front of a bad O Line to me, and that's what we've got.

That's reality.

Cincy might be much improved, but we looked very disorganized.

Shady didn't play, but that was about the only piece missing from this puzzle.

The O and D Lines looked mostly awful today.

I don't understand how people are saying it's still a preseason game and we weren't showing anything.
I don't see the interior linemen making big improvements any time soon.

I'm more concerned with our defense at the moment. No rush, linebackers and secondary giving up pass after pass and HUGE chunks of yardage. Run D looked decent, but then, the Bengals didn't really need to run the ball at all. They passed the ball at will.

I pretty much agree.  I can't blame Allen for a lot of his frustration, but he didn't so anything to show he's ready to start either.  Peterman looked like he had a pretty good command of the situation.  He girves the Bills a better chance to win.  I'll see what McCarron can do in the last preseason game to redeem himself after his last outing, but at this point, if this was a legitimate comopetition, Peterman is the winner.  

The line was terrible today.  Dawkins has some growing to do, but joesixpack is right.  Dawkins sat this one out.  I think he'll be OK.  Marshall Newhouse was terrible in his place, and the interior of the line wasn't any better.  I'm hoping it was a wakeup call that causes them to buckle down and work harder.  The coaches have to give some thought to experimenting with some younger guys to see if they can co any better.  I think Teller would be better off sitting and developing over time, but maybe McDermott has to give him a shot if Ducasse and Miller can't do the job.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I'm more concerned with our defense at the moment. No rush, linebackers and secondary giving up pass after pass and HUGE chunks of yardage. Run D looked decent, but then, the Bengals didn't really need to run the ball at all. They passed the ball at will.

They were in a vaniilla base defense almost all game, I think i saw 3 or 4 corner and safety blitzes all game long, that will be totally different come game time imo but who knows, hopefully you're wrong, Vontae davis looked very suspect, White and Poyer were just as bad.

15 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Saying Allen is going to be good is a ridiculous as those calling him a bust, it's a total unknown at this point.

Today didn't change my opinion about Josh Allen ( or the Oline )

I got sucked into believing Allen could make a bad Oline better, and as we just witnessed, its to much to ask in my humble opinion.

Despite the big arm the kids not superman in a Bills uni...

Worst OL I have ever seen in my entire time watching this team, and weve had some bad ones. 

Defense has not impressed even a little... 

Yeah im not confident at this junction

• Like (+1) 1

All the "Allen should start" hype came crashing back to reality today.  As mentioned above he's not going to make a bad line look great.  I totally agree that Peterman looks like our best bet for now to start.  I am still a little worried that even he will end up on his backside too often with this O-line, but we are what we are at this point.  Here's hoping that they start to gel (vs the jello we've been seeing).  

• Like (+1) 1

Daboll has his work cut out for him.  His OL coach is the worst in the league, his OL is the worst in the league.  His WRs are probably the worst in the league.  Unless he can scheme a way to get guys open FAST, we’re gonna be picking top 5 for sure.  Next years offseason will dictate Beanes future.  If we spend 10 mill on a Lotuleileieieie at LG, RG and WR, he’ll be sent packing.  Going into this season with this current OL was a failure on his part.  McD gets the blame for Castillo.  Fail.

40 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I was very disappointed in Groy, I had high expectations for him. Maybe he is better on the line rather than in the middle. 

I want Miller gone immediately. He is absolute trash, and has been trash for the past two seasons. There is no reason to get three penalties in a half of play, especially not a damn leg whip penalty. At least Ducasse can run block. Miller can't do either.

Clay is what he is, an aging old turd that isn't trying anymore. 

Agreed with you,  When Woods got hurt and Groy filled in the last time at center was Cog already here or was that the year prior?  Glenn also played pretty well that season too, before getting all nicked up.

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Reality is that Mahomes is gonna be good. 

Reality is Mahomes sat a year and the Chiefs added additional players to help him. No different than letting Allen sit this year and the Bills add playmakers and upgrade the OL in the off-season. Allen has done nothing but impress me thus far. I like his moxy, his arm and thus far the accuracy concerns seem over hyped. The game didn’t look too big for him today behind a pee wee OL. 

Put Mahomes on the Bills right now and I highly doubt you’d be posting the same comment!

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Totally agree.

O-Line was fools gold-ish last year. Tyrod made them look better than they were. Was my #1 concern going into the year (actually, every year for the last 20).

Peterman deserves the start. I agree. He's a gamer, has the poise, and throws a nice ball.

Not so sure about the D anymore. Davis looked old. D-Line pressure was non-existent. WTF.

Clay can go away as far as I'm concerned. Looks good 20% of the time. We need 100% players.

Might be time to put the best blocking TE in to help block every play, and/or along with FB. Only leaves 3/4 guys to make plays, but the alternative is terrible. 

All 3 games, our 2nd team looks better than their 2nd team... depth isn't a problem. First team is.

Back to back games our ones get manhandled.  If they didnt pull Dalton it would have been real ugly. No way Josh should go in with this O line......we’re running out of QB’s

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah Groy was just puzzling.  Is it because of the guys on either side of him?  Don't think so- think the first series the DT went by him like he was standing still.  Probably because he was standing still.

To be truthful, and not wanting to make excuses, but the Bengals were keying on our OL and getting off their line so quickly, that I wondered if they had some skinny on the Bills snap count or if Allen (or Groy/Bodine) has one helluva "tell" that they picked out on film.  Maybe AJ or Bodine could do a little sleuthing and find out.

The last game I've seen like it was the first half of the Denver-Carolina Superbowl when it seemed the Panthers center could barely snap the ball before someone in a Denver uniform was sitting in Newton's lap.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Saying Allen is going to be good is a ridiculous as those calling him a bust, it's a total unknown at this point.

Many fans here have a hard time distinguishing between what they want to be, and what is.