Reality vs. hysteria

oldmanfan

Reading a lot of hysteria about letting all our  vets go to accumulate picks, the season is doomed, and so on.  But similar concerns were raised last preseason and the reality is they made the playoffs.  

So removing the hysteria and focusing on reality:

1.  Middle of the O line is clearly the biggest team weakness.  I was very disappointed in Groy today, same with Miller, and Ducasse was just dominated.  A guy his size cannot just allow himself to be pushed straight back.  I expect Teller starts and Ducasse gets cut, maybe Miller as well, and that a C is targeted high in the draft next year.

2.  Allen is going to be good, but Peterman has to start.  He gets the ball out quickly which will have to be done with our O line.

3.  D will be OK.  Davis had a tough day but should be OK.  Pass rush was lacking but they didn't show everything in their packages.   And Edmunds will be a load soon.

4.  Clay is expendable.  Start Croom.

I expect we'll be active in trades or waiver wire for linemen.  And that while we may not be as good as last year we will not be the train wreck some are wringing their hands over.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Reading a lot of hysteria about letting all our  vets go to accumulate picks, the season is doomed, and so on.  But similar concerns were raised last preseason and the reality is they made the playoffs.  

1.  Middle of the O line is clearly the biggest team weakness.  I was very disappointed in Groy today, same with Miller, and Ducasse was just dominated.  A guy his size cannot just allow himself to be pushed straight back.  I expect Teller starts and Ducasse gets cut, maybe Miller as well, and that a C is targeted high in the draft next year.

2.  Allen is going to be good, but Peterman has to start.  He gets the ball out quickly which will have to be done with our O line.

3.  D will be OK.  Davis had a tough day but should be OK.  Pass rush was lacking but they didn't show everything in their packages.   And Edmunds will be a load soon.

I expect we'll be active in trades or waiver wire for linemen.  And that while we may not be as good as last year we will not be the train wreck some are wringing their hands over.

Dawkins hasn't looked good either.

Oline must be upgraded.

I was very disappointed in Groy, I had high expectations for him. Maybe he is better on the line rather than in the middle. 

I want Miller gone immediately. He is absolute trash, and has been trash for the past two seasons. There is no reason to get three penalties in a half of play, especially not a damn leg whip penalty. At least Ducasse can run block. Miller can't do either.

Clay is what he is, an aging old turd that isn't trying anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I was very disappointed in Groy, I had high expectations for him. Maybe he is better on the line rather than in the middle. 

I want Miller gone immediately. He is absolute trash, and has been trash for the past two seasons. There is no reason to get three penalties in a half of play, especially not a damn leg whip penalty. At least Ducasse can run block. Miller can't do either.

Clay is what he is, an aging old turd that isn't trying anymore. 

Yeah Groy was just puzzling.  Is it because of the guys on either side of him?  Don't think so- think the first series the DT went by him like he was standing still.  Probably because he was standing still.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Dawkins didn’t even play today, did he?

Nope.

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting that people have been predicting that Ducasse would be cut ever since he got here, but there he is starting each week...

That's a fact. I am not sure what they see in him but it has to be something. Castillo may just be that bad. Or maybe it just takes him a while to get going.

Teller and Mills played good today. Clay just looked lost, I remember him going out to block on a screen pass to Murphy and he went to go block a defender and just whiffed on him right in front of him, so many bad plays today, Vontae Davis wtf? You grabbed the guy and he still catches the ball and deeks out not only Davis but our so called leader in the secondary Poyer? I'll just chalk it up as a very bad day but the OL needs to be purged, I'd rather see some aging vets than these guys who have no ability to block.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Dawkins, Teller and Mills played good today. Clay just looked lost, I remember him going out to block on a screen pass to Murphy and he went to go block a defender and just whiffed on him right in front of him, so many bad plays today, Vontae Davis wtf? You grabbed the guy and he still catches the ball and deeks out not only Davis but our so called leader in the secondary Poyer? I'll just chalk it up as a very bad day but the OL needs to be purged, I'd rather see some aging vets than these guys who have no ability to block.

Dawkins was out today

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting that people have been predicting that Ducasse would be cut ever since he got here, but there he is starting each week...

And the results speak for themselves. He and his OL coach both need to be sent up the same Creek without a paddle

The reality is we lost 2 starting linemen in one offseason and the ones that stayed aren't any good other than Dawkins. Next year's draft is going to be heavy on offensive and defensive line. Until then we're stuck. Hopefully Teller develops quickly.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The reality is we lost 2 starting linemen in one offseason and the ones that stayed aren't any good other than Dawkins. Next year's draft is going to be heavy on offensive and defensive line. Until then we're stuck. Hopefully Teller develops quickly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Totally agree.

O-Line was fools gold-ish last year. Tyrod made them look better than they were. Was my #1 concern going into the year (actually, every year for the last 20).

Peterman deserves the start. I agree. He's a gamer, has the poise, and throws a nice ball.

Not so sure about the D anymore. Davis looked old. D-Line pressure was non-existent. WTF.

Clay can go away as far as I'm concerned. Looks good 20% of the time. We need 100% players.

Might be time to put the best blocking TE in to help block every play, and/or along with FB. Only leaves 3/4 guys to make plays, but the alternative is terrible. 

All 3 games, our 2nd team looks better than their 2nd team... depth isn't a problem. First team is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

Saying Allen is going to be good is a ridiculous as those calling him a bust, it's a total unknown at this point.

It's an unknown for all the young QBs.  But you saw things today that bode well.  Stood tall in the pocket, had decent mobility, his supposed inaccuracy was not evident the few times he actually had time to throw.  Like all young QBs the game has to slow down for him.  Hard to get things to slow down the the other team is in your face all day long.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Totally agree.

O-Line was fools gold-ish last year. Tyrod made them look better than they were. Was my #1 concern going into the year (actually, every year for the last 20).

Peterman deserves the start. I agree. He's a gamer, has the poise, and throws a nice ball.

Not so sure about the D anymore. Davis looked old. D-Line pressure was non-existent. WTF.

Clay can go away as far as I'm concerned. Looks good 20% of the time. We need 100% players.

Might be time to put the best blocking TE in to help block every play, and/or along with FB. Only leaves 3/4 guys to make plays, but the alternative is terrible. 

All 3 games, our 2nd team looks better than their 2nd team... depth isn't a problem. First team is.

All good points.  Plus Shady makes them look better in the run game.  Forgot to mention earlier but this Murphy kid is a keeper.