Lacanfora: Bills have reached out to Raiders about Khalil Mack trade

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

True but there seems to be interest in Mack from multiple teams. Although I do think that the fact that Mack wants a huge salary bump is going to drag his value down a bit. Mack should command a 1st in 2019 and a mid rounder in 2019 plus a pick in 2020. I would if I were running the Bills give out Hughes (If they were interested in him but lower the compensation a little) 2019 1st and a 2019 4th plus a 4th in 2020. I would be comfortable doing that type of deal but who knows exactly what Beane is comfortable with. 

The Raiders are going to want a 1st. Some team would be willing to at the very least give up a 1st plus a mid round pick in 2019 and 2020. 

Very doubtful.  Teams don’t give up that many premium picks for 27-year old, non-QBs who are looking to break the bank.  It just doesn’t happen, as much as the Raiders wish otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2

I can see a team like Seattle or the Packers giving a first because they know that their pick isnt in the top 10.  If i were the Bills that pick could be top 5 -10 and that worries me a bit. 

Knowing Beane though we are probably trading Shaq and a 4th for Mack and a 3rd  lol

2 hours ago, ThunderGun said:

Hughes or Lawson and a first?  Then if Murphy ever gets healthy, this defense will just be a Biscuit away.

You know this makes too much sense. I don’t know what the draft compensation would be but I definitely think that either of those players would be involved, maybe both? On one hand Lawson would be the hands on favorite, especially because of his age and contract but he has been coming on and might be changing the staff’s mind a bit about him. Hughes on the other hand could be an attractive carrot for the Raiders as well.

I watched the embedded program last night and one thing that struck me kind of weird was when the staff was discussing the DL they talked about Kyle, Yarborough and Trent. Not a word about Hughes and also nothing about Lawson but Hughes seemed like he should have been mentioned simply because he has been on the roster for quite some time  and Trent just got here and is not even 100%.

I think that there is more to all of this than I initially thought. I would LOVE to see Mack become a Bill. The defense would be elevated a couple of tiers because of him. Now if we could only amp up the LB position...

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Very doubtful.  Teams don’t give up that many premium picks for 27-year old, non-QBs who are looking to break the bank.  It just doesn’t happen, as much as the Raiders wish otherwise.

Mack is a pass rusher probably one of the few positions just under QB in terms of value in the NFL. The Rams just gave up the 23rd overall pick plus a late round pick for Brandin Cooks who they gave a fairly big contract to. Teams do make these kinds of trades for players they feel will put them over the top or if they can get a dominant player for the next 5 years at the cost of 1 premium draft pick. So I think that you will find at least 1-3 trade offers building a package around a 1st round pick. Like I said if I were the Bills I would give up a 2019 1st plus KC's 4th in 2019 and a 4th in 2020 plus Hughes if the Raiders wanted him (Although I would lower the 2020 4th to a 6th for Hughes to be in the deal.) 

I think that Mack would have a generational impact for the next 4 seasons and at the cost of a 1st round pick and 2 mid rounders I think it would be worth it. The Cap isn't that big of an issue as the Bills have plenty of 2019 and 2020 space to commit. The Bills don't have any major resignings coming up in 2019 or 2020 outside of maybe Shaq. But I see the trepidation as that's still a significant commitment to make to a pass rusher who might only have 2-3 great years left. 

1 hour ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

Maybe, or maybe until he's unhappy about something. I don't know the man, don't know how he approaches things. I only know what his reported actions are, and what McBeane sez they look for in a player. Doesn't seem to be a match

He wants his value.  He's willing to go to the wall, apparently for that value.  That's business.  Nothing

out of the ordinary, or different than anyone else walking the earth would do if they had the leverage

to do so.  He's said absolutely nothing about the situation, the Raiders, Gruden or anything else.  He's

been quiet.  All people have seen is him working out.

Quiet and working.  Sounds like a McBeane dude to me.  But if that's not enough to convince you...

McBeane has stressed production.  Checkmark for Mack:

NFL Defensive Player of the Year. 

2x First team All Pro -- 1 year at two different positions. DE and OLB.

3 Pro Bowl selections.

Finalist for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

McBeane has stressed versatility.  Checkmark for Mack:

2x First team All Pro at two different positions in the same year.  DE and OLB.

Great pass rusher, but also able to drop into coverage.

McBeane has stressed availability.  Checkmark for Mack:

Has started 16 games every season of his career.  No missed games.

Mack, just entering his prime at 27 years old, has done all of this in four years, and in spite of

being doubled teamed on a weekly basis. That's a Hall of Fame start to a career.  You don't think

he's a McBeane type of guy?  Stop it.

His Buffalo roots are just an added bonus off the field.  His brother playing at UB is an added bonus

for him as is his familiarity with the city and region.  Match that with the bounty of cap space coming

available in 2019 the only question is how far McBeane is willing to go before tapping out.  But Mack

would be perfect for the Bills, especially if they didn't have to give up Hughes in the process.

(Hughes who is WAY UNDERVALUED on this board.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I can see a team like Seattle or the Packers giving a first because they know that their pick isnt in the top 10.  If i were the Bills that pick could be top 5 -10 and that worries me a bit. 

Knowing Beane though we are probably trading Shaq and a 4th for Mack and a 3rd  lol

Seattle is going to have a top 10 pick this year.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

You know this makes too much sense. I don’t know what the draft compensation would be but I definitely think that either of those players would be involved, maybe both? On one hand Lawson would be the hands on favorite, especially because of his age and contract but he has been coming on and might be changing the staff’s mind a bit about him. Hughes on the other hand could be an attractive carrot for the Raiders as well.

I watched the embedded program last night and one thing that struck me kind of weird was when the staff was discussing the DL they talked about Kyle, Yarborough and Trent. Not a word about Hughes and also nothing about Lawson but Hughes seemed like he should have been mentioned simply because he has been on the roster for quite some time  and Trent just got here and is not even 100%.

I think that there is more to all of this than I initially thought. I would LOVE to see Mack become a Bill. The defense would be elevated a couple of tiers because of him. Now if we could only amp up the LB position...

Hughes WAS mentioned, but indirectly. His mentoring and coaching up of Yarborough was highlighted, and I'm fairly certain that kind of thing is VERY valuable to McBeane's vision of team building.

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

...a pass rusher who might only have 2-3 great years left. 

Based on what? L.T., Bruce and Reggie White were effective into their 30's.  Mack is not the average player.   The start to his career puts him in the convo with those names I mentioned.  He also can play multiple positions.  Hasn't missed a game in his career.  Folks having trepidation just choose to be afraid.  There is nothing Mack has

shown that would lead to a conclusion there's a cliff he's ready to fall off.  There are no guarantees, true.  But that's no reason not to swing for bleachers.

3 hours ago, BuckeyeBill said:

Would he cost more

than a first?

Of course he would. If he was actually available for trade, there would be such a bidding war someone would end up paying multiple 1sts.

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Funny how many people were on here staunchly saying Mack won't get traded.

La Canfora reporting he will is as strong an indication you'll ever see that he won't.

26 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Based on what? L.T., Bruce and Reggie White were effective into their 30's.  Mack is not the average player.   The start to his career puts him in the convo with those names I mentioned.  He also can play multiple positions.  Hasn't missed a game in his career.  Folks having trepidation just choose to be afraid.  There is nothing Mack has

shown that would lead to a conclusion there's a cliff he's ready to fall off.  There are no guarantees, true.  But that's no reason not to swing for bleachers.

exactly, I believe that if you can get even 5 years of a future hall of fame passrusher, you do, the couple of draft picks are far less likely to help your team.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

You are vastly overestimating Mack’s market value.  Raiders will be fortunate to get a first for him.  I suspect Beane is trying to get them to take a second, plus Hughes or Shaq

They will get far more than a 1st. If it was the Bills negotiating in isolation your logic holds true. But we aren't, so it doesn't. The huge demand for him will push the price sky high. If he is actually available, you have multiple teams who will get into a bidding war. Plenty of teams have the cap space.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

I was initially disappointed when the Bills traded up to #4 in the 2014 draft, but quickly reassured myself that Mack would be worth it.  

Then... POW!  

Disappointment would win the day.

We seem to have a spotty record as of late finding great LB's & DE's in the draft as of late. I mean we used quite a few picks over the years, including some fairly high ones on guys like Lawson, Posluszny, Maybin, Edmunds, Tarpley,  Ragland, Alonzo, Milano, Washington, Brown, Bradham, Carrington, Moats, Kelsay, etc.

We never seem to truly strike greatness in the draft, but have done much better in FA or trades. Takeo Spikes, Mario Williams, London Fletcher, Lorenzo Alexander, Jerry Hughes, and more have all been great, standout contributors for our team. Mack could be the next, and possibly greatest, in a long line of successful Bills trades/acquisitions.