Carucci: Fixing footwork has allowed Josh Allen to make big strides with the Bills

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

His footwork has come a very long way. I don't think I've ever seen a QB improve this much from college to the pros so quickly. Maybe Palmer really is a QB guru.

Not diminishing the obvious early progress, but a near walk on  at Powerhouse Wyoming likely didn’t do much of anything to develop techniques. ‘Kin ya throw? Git in thar!’ 

Its to Bills fans glee the kid cares to get better.

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

That's a good way of approaching it. 

Nobody really knows they are talking about. 

A good number of people are only capable of parroting back what they hear.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great article in TBN

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/21/fixing-footwork-has-allowed-josh-allen-to-make-big-strides-with-the-bills/

Some may not have access so a couple excerpts: 

Much of that over striding almost sounds like it was a baseball delivery. As though he was standing / bouncing and when he was ready to deliver, he stepped into it like a baseball pitch. If I recall, Allen played a bit of baseball as well, right? If that's accurate and presuming my conclusion is accurate, it's interesting that it was really that *simple* in terms of placing the correction toward a football stride instead of a pitcher's stride. 

I'm sure it isn't easy to overcome when muscle memory has been developed, but being able to notice it, address it, and then make sense of the correction is a good indication of when coaching works and makes a difference. Jury is still out on Allen - and count me among the hopeful - but early signs indicate the hard work is paying off. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the baseball deal is probably correct.  My son can’t throw a football, but has a nasty breaking fastball.  Tried to correct his throwing motion but could be his footwork too.  Kid is going to play tight end and linebacker instead.  Already 6’1” 180 and size 12 dogs so linebacker may be best. He just turned 14.  Got bored of baseball.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

His completion rate so far is exactly what it was in college.

As long as he doesnt throw interceptions and puts the ball where it needs to be who cares at this point. Also, let him establish some rapport with his receivers before casting a silly percentage comment. You need to look at the whole body of work.

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

As long as he doesnt throw interceptions and puts the ball where it needs to be who cares at this point. Also, let him establish some rapport with his receivers before casting a silly percentage comment. You need to look at the whole body of work.

Just to be clear, I didn’t have any major issues with his completion rate in Wyoming.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Welp, if the naysayers who won’t believe throwing motions can improve are correct, then Allens’ college stats of 2-1 TD to Int ratio means he’ll throw a pick off the get-go before he tosses another TD Sunday afternoon. Frankly, I’m interested to see this as well.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Not really interested in the article. The whole accuracy issue was a canard.

Or a Rhodes Scholar finalist like Greg McElroy or a Hall of Famer like Joe Namath, Ken Stabler and Bart Starr.

I know a girl named Ming Li.      She’s smarter than Greg McElroy.  

Ill ask my great grandpa who the others are.   

Allen looks pretty strong so far.   Right ? 

Edited by Teddy KGB

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

His completion rate so far is exactly what it was in college.

Sure. He also never had a single game ompletion percentage higher than 58% his junior year and 59.4% his senior year. Last week it was 69.2, and that included a spike. 

• Like (+1) 3