Marcus Murphy- #2 rb?

NewEra

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm watching the replay of the game right now.

I thought Murphy looked great last night and Ivory much less so.

Will focus on both of those guys during the replay viewing.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Ivory had one carry, and was targeted twice. I think they know exactly who they have in Ivory, and didn't expect much out of him, and didn't want him injured. He's a vet, and has little to prove. JMI.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s only one game, but Murphy did look good.  If Ivory doesn’t step it up, he’ll get moved to goal line only.  The comment they wouldn’t cut Ivory, i’m Not sure.

He is 30and the signing could just be a tryout to see if he still has explosiveness.  If not Beane, will cut him in a heartbeat.  They don’t want a replay of Tolbert.

2 hours ago, Frez said:

Trade McCoy......

Murphy has looked like a #1 RB. 

Why would we trade McCoy? I’m my opinion,  unless we get a kings ransom, it would be pointless.

What would you be happy with in return for McCoy?

I agree Murphy looked great, but I see no upside to trading Shady.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Murphy looked very good pre season.  If he showhow gets ahead of Chris Ivory i dont see why anyone has an issue with that.  He has obviously played more this preseason so has had more a chance to showcase his talent.  I think Ivory or Murphy backing up Shady is fine.

Yep, I have confidence in either of these guys spelling Shady unlike that **** show that was backup RB last year.

• Like (+1) 1

I imagine it's one of those things where they have a specific role in mind for Ivory who is old but still runs hard. He will be in on short yardage and maybe goalline and certain packages or a series here and there. But if McCoy were to go down, Murphy would be the one to come in and get the bulk of the carries as the new RB1. They don't want Ivory carrying 15-20 times a game. 

Its possible that Murphy just beat him out but Ivory looked good too. 

I like the kid. He looked good in limited time against the Dolphins in an important game last year. He continued with a good pre-season. I think he’s an option. He’ll get some work, and I think as he proves himself he’ll get more and more work. He might not turn into a starter, but maybe he can be a guy who can give shady a break and every now and then and provide a nice element to the roster. 

Shady is #1. He’s a star. But running backs come out of nowhere all the time. I could totally see Murphy turning into a solid starter. It would be one more spot covered in the depth chart. 

I dunno between Ivory or Murphy.......Ivory looked pretty darn good in pre season but Murphy has been extremely impressive from what i seen so far.....this is a good problem to have (if it is a problem)....

8 minutes ago, MDH said:

Yep, I have confidence in either of these guys spelling Shady unlike that **** show that was backup RB last year.

Agreed.  And the Bills are obviously gonna need a very good run game.  If Shady gets hurt you need other guys who can carry the load.  Murphy and Ivory are a decent combo.

2 minutes ago, JPP said:

I dunno between Ivory or Murphy.......Ivory looked pretty darn good in pre season but Murphy has been extremely impressive from what i seen so far.....this is a good problem to have (if it is a problem)....

Murphy's skillset is closer to McCoy's (shifty, stop accelerate, pass catching) thus incase of injury I could easily see the coaches giving him the start. I think Ivory's roll as short yardage, step in for a series change of pace, and pounder to finish games is established and hasn't changed. I would guess it'l bee the McCoy/Ivory show unless either gets dinged and Murphy assuming that role. 

• Like (+1) 1