Is Zay Jones A “Lock” To Make The Roster

So Zay Jones returned to practice today after a disappointing rookie year and an a bizarre incident in the off-season which cost him the entire OTA’s and the start of training camp.

Question is - is Zay Jones a lock to make the roster.  On one hand it seems like a no brained.  He was a second round draft pick, and while he did fail to meeting expectations, he still is a higher pick.

But while we can speculate, we have no idea what happened this off-season.  There’s a good chance the Bills do and it could be worse than we expect.

Also remember, Zay is not a Brandon Beane guy.  He was drafted before Beane arrived, and while McDermott likely had a big hand in his selection, remember Beane has control of the 53.

Then there’s the emergence of WR’s like Malachy Dupree, Cam Phillips, and Reuben Foster (to a lesser extent).  One of two of those WR’s could conceivably take Zay’s roster.  It seems like Kelvin Benjamin, and Jeremy Kerley are the locks in the roster.  Everyone else seems to be muddled together fighting for one of 4 roster spots.  

I don’t think it’s likely that Zay doesn’t make the team, but I don’t think it’s a lock either.  

Curious to to hear your thoughts.  

He had a weak rookie season while battling injury and playing with a poor passing QB.  

Watch his college highlights again.  The guy has serious talent.  You don’t give up on that, especially while on a rookie contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

So Zay Jones returned to practice today after a disappointing rookie year and an a bizarre incident in the off-season which cost him the entire OTA’s and the start of training camp.

Question is - is Zay Jones a lock to make the roster.  On one hand it seems like a no brained.  He was a second round draft pick, and while he did fail to meeting expectations, he still is a higher pick.

But while we can speculate, we have no idea what happened this off-season.  There’s a good chance the Bills do and it could be worse than we expect.

Also remember, Zay is not a Brandon Beane guy.  He was drafted before Beane arrived, and while McDermott likely had a big hand in his selection, remember Beane has control of the 53.

Then there’s the emergence of WR’s like Malachy Dupree, Cam Phillips, and Reuben Foster (to a lesser extent).  One of two of those WR’s could conceivably take Zay’s roster.  It seems like Kelvin Benjamin, and Jeremy Kerley are the locks in the roster.  Everyone else seems to be muddled together fighting for one of 4 roster spots.  

I don’t think it’s likely that Zay doesn’t make the team, but I don’t think it’s a lock either.  

Curious to to hear your thoughts.  

I think it depends upon how he comports himself and contributes now.  100% effort, he gets the benefit of the doubt.  Any slacking or further nut-case-ness look for Beane to be talking up the trade

Also check other thread, where 26CB has posted several good updates

No. I don't believe Zay is a lock. Do I think he is one of the favourites in the group battling for spots? Yes. Do I think he likely makes it? Yes. Lock? No. And the way McDermott and Beane both referred to him last week in different interviews leads me to believe that. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. I don't believe Zay is a lock. Do I think he is one of the favourites in the group battling for spots? Yes. Do I think he likely makes it? Yes. Lock? No. And the way McDermott and Beane both referred to him last week in different interviews leads me to believe that. 

I’m with you on this.  I think that some people are overestimating his security.