Bills' 2018 Training Camp Day 3 - First Day in Pads

Make or break camp for Shaq

Pittsford - Shaq Lawson is a better Shaq Lawson this year.

"I feel faster than I've ever been. I move quicker. I'm skinny," Lawson said, looking down as if to confirm his weight. "I look like I'm too skinny."

It's no secret Lawson's roster sport is far from secure. Normally close to the vest, Sean McDermott came out and said so Saturday.

"I’m not going to hide behind [the fact that] there’s a strong competition there between a few guys, including Trent Murphy, Shaq," McDermott said. "It’s time for him to step up."

1 hour ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Kb in the slot is pretty interesting. He could wreak havoc over the middle ala marques colston

What i like about daboll so far is he seems to have the understanding of how to use people. 

I think we finally have a smart OC. It is nice to see an offence moving around and creating mismatches. I would like them to give KB a similar role to Gronk in New England. Get him matched up with LBs, S, and nickels.

I'd really like to see the young WRs like DuPree, Reilly, and Foster make the squad...with KB, Kerly, and Jones. Not sure how K. Clay makes the squad unless he's the punt returner. You think the Bills would like to have Ray Ray or Proehl in the mix somewhere...maybe practice squad? Don't care about Holmes or Streater. Let's go with the young, quick guys in a NE-like offense by Daboll. 

And I think the OL is going to be fine. We've got a young, interesting mix of players. 

There might be some growing pains, but I really like where this offense is going. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

If we want to nitpick, I guess that Allen could have put it on the back shoulder, but that pick still was completely on Benjamin. 

I think that Davis may have gotten that left hand in there at the very end which caused ball to be picked off by Poyer. I would say that is just nice tight coverage by Davis and it was still almost completed with Benjamin's height and Allen's arm.

18 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

If we want to nitpick, I guess that Allen could have put it on the back shoulder, but that pick still was completely on Benjamin. 

If we are nitpicking, Benjamin jumped pretty early as well. Timing. Throw was def solid for a receiver with height 

1) The Josh Allen Experience

2) McCarron playing it safe

3) Peterman looks nervous

4) Harrison Phillips dominates the 1-on-1s... again

5) Top four wide receivers identified through three days

6) A changeup on the offensive line

7) The core special teams coverage players identified

Day 3 MVP: LT Dion Dawkins
- In 1-on-1s, Dawkins has been perfect so far -- getting the better of Jerry Hughes all five times and then thwarting Eddie Yarbrough today on attempt as well. He's looked confident, cool, and collected, and he even transferred that into team drills on Saturday -- which was an improvement from what happened on Friday.

Day 3 LVP: OL De'Ondre Wesley
- In his first practice of camp at left tackle, Wesley struggled both during 1-on-1s and in team drills, consistently allowing pressure to his assignment. Maybe it was nerves of it being the first padded practice, but Wesley has looked much better at guard.

Matthew Fairburn's Day 3 Write Up at The Athletic:

Bills practice observations Day Three: Josh Allen, LeSean...

Here’s what else we saw at practice on Saturday.

Peterman struggles again
AJ McCarron update
LeSean McCoy dazzles
Marcus Murphy gets a shot with the first team
Nick O’Leary banged up
The Star of one-on-ones
Malachi Dupre getting plenty of reps
Movement on the offensive line
McDermott not shy about Shaq Lawson
Dion Dawkins vs. Jerry Hughes is great for the Bills 

The Bills take the practice field again at 8:45 a.m. Sunday.

Good to see lots of positivity on Star so far - seems like he has an element of explosion for a guy labeled as a space eater. I want to be proven wrong for how much of an overpay I thought this was since I had nothing to base it off of besides a few PFF ranks and media hot takes.

CAPACCIO: Allen already a factor in QB race

Saturday was not only Josh Allen’s best day of training camp so far, but he was arguably the best quarterback on the field for the Bills.

And, once again for the second day in a row, the rookie got plenty of snaps with the first team offense against the starting defense.

Taking all of that in and looking at the big picture, it’s clear Allen is a legitimate option to become the team’s starter week one at the Baltimore Ravens. Of course there is still a long way to go and he hasn’t been perfect by any means, but to anyone watching practice, from fans in the stands to local or national media on the sidelines, there’s no doubting who the most naturally gifted QB is on the field every day.

For Allen to be taking reps with the first team already is somewhat surprising given that he was exclusively with the third string offense throughout OTAs and a minicamp.  Also, head coach Sean McDermott gave indications that’s how it would be to start training camp.

That was how it started. And lasted one day.

48 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Good to see lots of positivity on Star so far - seems like he has an element of explosion for a guy labeled as a space eater. I want to be proven wrong for how much of an overpay I thought this was since I had nothing to base it off of besides a few PFF ranks and media hot takes.

I know what you mean, but as an aside, when did it become bad for an interior defensive lineman to "only" be a "space eater"???

That's kind of the point....eat space and don't get pushed out of that space to create a hole.

Ted Washington was an excellent space eater for us.  Jeff Wright not so much.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

I know what you mean, but as an aside, when did it become bad for an interior defensive lineman to "only" be a "space eater"???

That's kind of the point....eat space and don't get pushed out of that space to create a hole.

Ted Washington was an excellent space eater for us.  Jeff Wright not so much.

When it became a passing league. It’s the same reason that Brandon Spikes is out of the league. You can’t be a 1 and a half down player. As an example if a team is down 14 points at the start of the 4th Star might not play again.

It’s like being a low post scorer in the pace and space NBA. That skill just isn’t as valuable.

Now, I have hope that Star can be more than just a space eater. It looks like Phillips definitely can. You need to be able to put pressure in the QB in today’s NFL above all else on defense. That’s why pass rushers get paid like they do.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A street FA?  

Lols.  

What I wanna know     Who the hell is thad brown 

Exactly, been doing a lot of hating on allen.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Too easy , just seemed like he nonchalantly tossed it out there.