Calling out a player's name and why.....

On 7/25/2018 at 6:19 AM, Xwnyer said:

Playing wiffle ball in backyard I was always Boog Powell I was an Orioles and Cubs fan but neighbor was a Tigers fan so had to be Powell since AL and NL never played except in World Series in those days

I have a Boog Powell Magnet from a Rochester Red Wings giveaway. He is in his minor league Rochester Red Wings uniform. It's in really nice shape. PM me and I'll send it to you.

We played lot's of backyard football growing up since my high school team didn't have football until my sophomore year. Anything from 5 on 5 to 15 on 15. It was madness. I was called 'Brew' for Larry Kinnebrew. At 5'9 240 pounds I had nice hands, wasn't fast, but was very hard to tackle. Whatever FB Buffalo had was my nickname du jour. Mueller, Gardner and Brew, but 'Brew' stuck. It apparently was kizmit since I now have a Tom Brady beer belly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, Chandler#81 said:

No. I’d ask you to hum a few bars, but it’s Sunday, and.... 

But I met Randy a few times. He shopped at the Topps Supermarket I worked at on NFB in NT. He was kinda easy to spot with his height and huge ‘fro’.. Always gracious and kind to everybody! 

Holy ****! I found it...I'm not crazy.  Thanks to the great Steve Cichon...if you remember those Braves, you will really enjoy this!

http://blog.buffalostories.com/remembering-memorial-auditorium-and-the-nba-buffalo-braves-randy-smith-sings-the-the-bob-mcadoo-song/

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Holy ****! I found it...I'm not crazy.  Thanks to the great Steve Cichon...if you remember those Braves, you will really enjoy this!

http://blog.buffalostories.com/remembering-memorial-auditorium-and-the-nba-buffalo-braves-randy-smith-sings-the-the-bob-mcadoo-song/

The background singer sounds like Billy Madison?

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

I was always confused by this. 

When I was a kid, I was always taught to call my elders "Mr/Mrs whatever their name is" out of respect.

Why do these rules go out the window when talking to athletes and celebrities?

I've talked to a lot of 40 and 50 year olds, who will say "Mr/Mrs (so and so) is my father/mother. And then ask that you call them by their first name. I suppose what's respectful is contingent of what the person wants....

On 7/21/2018 at 2:36 PM, vorpma said:

During the mid 1960's many of us wore white sneakers and loved Otis Taylor despite playing for the Chiefs!

Remember when Otis Taylor kicked Ben Davidson’s ass? 

When I played, my nickname was Tatum after Jack Tatum. My DB coach called it out after I consistently laid down the wood on receivers who tried to cross the middle. Back in the day, they let us hit anything that came in our path.

7 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I spent so much time as a kid pretending that I was Roberto Carlos.

soccer? in Buffalo?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, stevewin said:

When we played street football when I was a kid, when we tried to stretch out over the curb and and tap our toes to catch a pass, we'd yell "Bobby Chandler!" if we were able to lay out and make the catch

That was me too!

Also, using a parked car as a "pick" wasn't beyond me either.

• Like (+1) 1

Was play boxing with some of my cousins friends down in Texas one day. About a month or two after I moved down here. I yelled "I'm Rob Ray!" forgetting that I was in Texas where they don't watch hockey. Everybody just got confused, and to this day, those friends call me and have me saved in their phone as Rob Ray.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

When I played, my nickname was Tatum after Jack Tatum. My DB coach called it out after I consistently laid down the wood on receivers who tried to cross the middle. Back in the day, they let us hit anything that came in our path.

Blokes is an Englishman 

He is an adopted Buffalonian

• Like (+1) 1

Fran Tarkenton for a great QB scramble

On 7/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

“Jordan!” with the tongue hanging out was popular on the b-ball courts when I was a kid.  I wonder how many kids bit their tongues off doing this back in the day?

Many I'm sure. My limpwristted hookshot was always followed by a Jabar with the skyhook!!!

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Wasn't he the guy that paralyzed Daryl Stingley with an intentional clothesline?