Calling out a player's name and why.....

Growing up I was Kelly and my best friend was Reed. Everyone on the street would yell Kelly to Reed!!!!!

TOUCHDOOOWN!!!!!!

That kid had the best hands. Didnt matter where I threw it, hed catch it.

It was the #sammycatcheseverything of our time.

12 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I was playing sandlot football in the early-to-mid 70s. The Bills had a really good running back - Orenthal, something or other - whose name was uttered whenever someone broke off a big run. On passing plays, it was Fergie to Chandler.

I was a dumb kid, around the same time...I still get teased to this day for playing alone, on the front lawn saying "OJ passes it to Simpson"

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Great memory! Ernie ‘No D’. Along with MacAdoo, Heard, McMillan, Randy Smith, Bob Kauffman. I still hate John Y. Brown!?

Randy Smith was always my guy!  (see my avatar)

Speaking of Randy, can any other old-timer confirm for me, that Randy Smith once recorded a song called "McAdoo"?  I distinctly remember the lyrics "Who has the sweetest shot in the game.?" Followed up by a deep baritnone "MAC-A- DOO MACA-DOO MACADOO...BIG MAC, BIG MAC".  Very funky song...

Anyone else remember this?  I have searched the internet a number of times over the  years, can't find any evidence...but I know it was real.  I would love to hear that again...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

I was a dumb kid, around the same time...I still get teased to this day for playing alone, on the front lawn saying "OJ passes it to Simpson"

Randy Smith was always my guy!  (see my avatar)

Speaking of Randy, can any other old-timer confirm for me, that Randy Smith once recorded a song called "McAdoo"?  I distinctly remember the lyrics "Who has the sweetest shot in the game.?" Followed up by a deep baritnone "MAC-A- DOO MACA-DOO MACADOO...BIG MAC, BIG MAC".  Very funky song...

Anyone else remember this?  I have searched the internet a number of times over the  years, can't find any evidence...but I know it was real.  I would love to hear that again...

I couldn’t find it either. But I did dig up this.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I couldn’t find it either. But I did dig up this.

Nice find.  One of my very favorite athletes of all time.  To think he went 11 straight years without missnig a game is just incredible...and he was Buffalo kid.  Gone too soon...

Thanks for looking Chandler81...do you remember the song I am talking about?

• Like (+1) 1

Assault someone because I’m a POS and I’m too caught up in the moment to care about my reputation...

GRONKED beotch!

In flagrante delicto with my meal ticket’s wife...

Jack Adams trophy, baby!

Edited by transient

My son in law is a huge Brady fan. Just yesterday we were visiting helping out with a plumbing fix.....upon completion he attempted to high five my daughter. She turned away at just the right moment leaving his hand awkwardly hanging out there.

I just couldn't help it.....I said "Dude I think you've just been Brady-ed". 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Buftex said:

Nice find.  One of my very favorite athletes of all time.  To think he went 11 straight years without missnig a game is just incredible...and he was Buffalo kid.  Gone too soon...

Thanks for looking Chandler81...do you remember the song I am talking about?

No. I’d ask you to hum a few bars, but it’s Sunday, and.... 

But I met Randy a few times. He shopped at the Topps Supermarket I worked at on NFB in NT. He was kinda easy to spot with his height and huge ‘fro’.. Always gracious and kind to everybody! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2018 at 5:58 AM, The Process said:

As a kid, when we were playing sports in the empty field, basketball in the driveway, hockey at the creek, my friends and I would call out a players name as if they were them. Example: I just threw a perfect pass to my buddy...and yell out "oh yeah....JIM KELLY".  Showing my age here, but when someone doinked a basketball of the backboard or shot an air ball....all my friends would yell out...HUMMER!!!!  What's your player....and why.....? 

Ahh, the Pride of Princeton, John Hummer. Our Braves got screwed by how they ran the expansion draft back then. We got the 15th overall pick in a draft that had Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Dave Cowens in the early rounds. Expansion teams got slotted after existing teams. Even so, as a little kid I wanted Calvin Murphy, who went 2 picks later (Tiny Archibald went later too). HUMMER!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Freddy 'the Mad Bomber' Hilton "from downtown" was popular on the outdoor court near me.

I almost forgot about "downtown Freddie Brown" in basketball. Even my kids would chuckle at that one when we played HORSE.

Edited by Uncle Joe