President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Whoever is running Hatch's social media accounts has been killing it lately. Go back through his timeline, there are some hilarious gems in there (said from someone who doesn't love Mr. Hatch)

That's just good Twitter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I never cared for him (we had a second residence in Utah for years) but his Twitter account has been amazing for a while now. I love reading it. I swear I want to hire whoever runs it to run my Twitter account.

Second residence in Utah, huh?  Rich girl in da houssssssseeeee.....

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Will Senators get to question Kavanaugh about his obsession with Monica Lewinsky's vagina  front hole? 

Or does he now think that things that happen with the executive branch are above reproach because the president is too busy? 

Fixed it for you.

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

I’m going on record that I’m cancelling my meeting with Senator Maize Horino. Of course it’s a meeting that was never scheduled, but her okole is just too too big for me. In fact, she’s a real okole. 

9 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I’m going on record that I’m cancelling my meeting with Senator Maize Horino. Of course it’s a meeting that was never scheduled, but her okole is just too too big for me. In fact, she’s a real okole. 

Like rear hole?

• Like (+1) 1

The guy us obviously qualified.  I'm concerned about what seems to be too much deference to the Executive branch vs the legislative and judicial.  But elections have consequences and you'll get a jurist like this given the election results.  Just like you got Ginsberg with Clinton.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The guy us obviously qualified.  I'm concerned about what seems to be too much deference to the Executive branch vs the legislative and judicial.  But elections have consequences and you'll get a jurist like this given the election results.  Just like you got Ginsberg with Clinton.

Ginsberg got confirmed 98-0 because she was qualified and her politics were not taken into consideration.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This isn't unique to Kavanaugh.

This is the product of the last 70 years of Executive expansion, left largely unchallenged, which has created established government precedent of practice; and the body of Constitutional law and stare decisis which has supported it.

This is organic, is a product of generation on top of generation of Leviathan, and isn't limited by political party.

The only way to avoid it, in fact, would be to only appoint strict constructionists to the bench.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This isn't unique to Kavanaugh.

This is the product of the last 70 years of Executive expansion, left largely unchallenged, which has created established government precedent of practice; and the body of Constitutional law and stare decisis which has supported it.

This is organic, is a product of generation on top of generation of Leviathan, and isn't limited by political party.

The only way to avoid it, in fact, would be to only appoint strict constructionists to the bench.

Agreed

If there is a better thread for this, plmk and I will post it in that thread. ?

The move sets up the potential for weeks of virtually continuous sessions of the Senate, although it is more likely that a bipartisan agreement will be reached at least ahead of the long Labor Day weekend.

The list of 17 nominees is highlighted by Richard Clarida to the Federal Reserve and a slew of Trump nominees to fill federal judgeships in seats across the country.

/snip

If senators were to object to time agreements, the Senate could literally spend weeks doing little other than considering the nominations, a move that complicates much of the legislative agenda for the rest of the year, particularly when it comes to finishing consideration of government spending bills before the end of the fiscal year on September 30.

Senate Could Be Tied up For Weeks Voting on Trump Nominees

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

His horoscope?  No.  But let's look at his sports coverage for his college newspaper, and...yep, he's a Nazi.

Laurence Tribe, a Harvard Law professor who mentored Barack Obama, zeroed in on the lead sentence in Kavanaugh’s account of a midseason game against Cornell: “In basketball, as in few other team sports, it is possible for one person to completely dominate a game.” Was this a harmless observation? Tribe noted, “Kavanaugh’s seeming fascination with single-player domination might be a muscular view of executive power.” On the other hand, he found a departure from Kavanaugh’s typical jurisprudence in “Dartmouth Rally Upends Streak.” “Kavanaugh complained that the refs let the game ‘get completely out of control’ as Dartmouth players ‘consistently hammered’ a Yalie ‘without the whistle blowing’ once,” Tribe said. “One might see in that a rare early condemnation of judicial restraint.”

DEMOCRACY DIES IN DUMBNESS: Poll: Majority can’t name a single Supreme Court justice.

“Nearly every voter in the nation believes that the U.S. Supreme Court impacts their everyday life, but a majority can’t name a single justice on the all-important bench, according to a new survey.” Actually, this suggests that they don’t care as much as they pretend to

That feeling when you’ve confirmed 60 judges to the courts this Congress — including 33 district court judges, 26 appeals court judges and Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch.. with another exceptional SCOTUS nominee coming before Judiciary next week. (link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-28/mcconnell-s-senate-continues-to-rapidly-confirm-trump-s-judges) bloomberg.com/news/articles/…

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Political Cartoons by Pat Cross

One can only hope the confirmation hearing goes as such, though with Trump being accused of __________ lots of liberals are _________ and seem very convinced that _____________ will be a bigger issue than ____________. 

Plus, John McCain was a friend to all and the world smiles nevermore. 

Oh, and if the cartoon of an elephant driving a truck bumping into a donkey is a dogwhistle for....anything, I condemn the cartoon elephant. 

The White House has pushed to withhold more than 100,000 pages of records related to Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's time as White House lawyer during the George W. Bush administration.

Bush's attorney Bill Burck informed the Senate Judiciary Committee of the Trump administration's decision to withhold the documents in a letter to the panel on Friday.

The Trump administration is withholding the documents on the basis of presidential privilege, according to the letter provided by the White House to The Hill.

Secret government, oligarch's choice, the people be damned 

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/404659-trump-administration-withholds-100000-pages-on-kavanaughs-records

36 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Whine on.......................

I wonder how much of his confirmation hearing will be "Trump's an !@#$/McCain is a hero", rather than "are you actually qualified for this job, Judge Kavanaugh?"

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I wonder how much of his confirmation hearing will be "Trump's an !@#$/McCain is a hero", rather than "are you actually qualified for this job, Judge Kavanaugh?"

Let's start a pool on when (not if) the first protester (who SOMEHOW got in the hearing room ) interrupts the preceding.

I'll take 3 minutes..........................

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Let's start a pool on when (not if) the first protester (who SOMEHOW got in the hearing room ) interrupts the preceding.

There will be cameras. No way in hell one of the Senate Democrats allows a protestor to get between them and a camera. They will be doing the shrieking, grandstanding, and complaining themselves, thankyouverymuch. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I'll take the over on your 3 minutes

There will be no protesters allowed into the proceedings until after every Democrat Senator has finished their soliloquy.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, B-Man said:

/dev/null forgets that the Republicans open the committee hearings.  I'll take the under.

How long until the first mention of Saint John the Maverick by a Democrat?  

There's posters plastered all over the place downtown about how more people like Roe v. Wade than like Kavanaugh...

You know...I've been hearing the whole "This nomination is the death knell for Roe v. Wade!" hysteria for every Republican Supreme Court nominee for 30 !@#$ing years now.  And throughout that time, I can't help but notice that Roe v. Wade hasn't even been threatened.  

On 8/29/2018 at 5:30 PM, B-Man said:

Political Cartoons by Pat Cross

Seriously! Corrupt process all around 

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

There's posters plastered all over the place downtown about how more people like Roe v. Wade than like Kavanaugh...

You know...I've been hearing the whole "This nomination is the death knell for Roe v. Wade!" hysteria for every Republican Supreme Court nominee for 30 !@#$ing years now.  And throughout that time, I can't help but notice that Roe v. Wade hasn't even been threatened.  

And now we have reached the dog catches the mail truck moment. Do you understand about how votes are counted? Well, looks like they have the votes now. Ruff ruff! Five men will decide the case and send it back to the states

0_pNLKOILAs8KFtGGWALIbNcQOVNqL-GrViBgEuC

The democrats actions thus far in this hearing have been pitiful. 

Gonna be a tough week for them ahead. 

(And at the end of the day, Kavanaugh still gets confirmed)

And of course the point the democrats are trying to argue, about documents being withheld, is nonsense - but to know that you have to read for yourself since the media isn't reporting on it: 

DmQgy8rU8AAgaNY.jpg

DmQgy8qV4AEfg6s.jpg

DmQhtbYU0AIaUf0.jpg

DmQhtbYU8AAD7-y.jpg

• Like (+1) 1