President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

they better hurry and confirm, GOP might get a supermajority in the Senate in November at this rate

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Now you've done it.  Now both the Redskins and the Nationals will need new team names. 

a Russian is the best player for the Capitals....

DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Kavanaugh, under all kinds of ridiculous attacks.............................meanwhile, NOT from the Onion

.DkjOUk-XcAEu_Sk.jpg

I'm gonna buy one, I'm gonna go out to my workshop, and I'm gonna build it a tiny little coffin.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I'm gonna buy one, I'm gonna go out to my workshop, and I'm gonna build it a tiny little coffin.

What will be the last straw, she starts letting out 10 second farts with no idea they are happening?

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

People that old shouldn’t make decisions when their ethical creed is based on Why Don’t We Do It In The Road

DESPERATE DEMS SAY THEY’LL GO TO COURT TO GET KAVANAUGH PAPERS 

I must say I enjoy watching Senate Democrats throwing a fit over their inability to get millions of pages of Brett Kavanaugh-related documents in time for his confirmation hearing. Apparently, the Dems can’t find anything in the many hundreds of judicial opinions Judge Kavanaugh has written or signed that will come close to sinking his nomination. Thus, they have pinned their hopes on finding a “gotcha” in some paper Kavanaugh wrote when he worked in the Bush administration.

I very much doubt such a sentence exists. By many accounts, Kavanaugh is the kind of person who planned to be a judge from the moment he entered law school. Or maybe high school. I’m pretty sure he was very careful about he wrote while working in the White House. His most controversial statements are probably those he wrote as a judge, where his job requires him to decide highly controversial issues.

In any event, Republicans aren’t going to (1) insist on the production of the millions of papers Kavanaugh handled as White House staff secretary or (2) hold up his confirmation while the Archives struggles to produce all of the papers he wrote when he worked in White House counsel’s office. The leadership’s response to Democratic whining is just what the Democrats’ response would be if the shoe were on the other foot: Pound sand.

Instead of pounding sand, Democrats are going to sue. In this case, it probably amounts to the same thing.

Last week, Judiciary Committee Democrats filed FOIA requests with the National Archives, the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Central Intelligence Agency, giving the agencies until September 6 to comply with the massive document requests. Knowing that the agencies won’t — can’t — comply, the Dems are prepared to sue.

Sen. Chuck Schumer said today:

We’re announcing that we stand ready to sue the National Archives for Judge Kavanaugh’s full records if necessary.

Unfortunately for Schumer and his fellow Democrats, there is no way their lawsuit could be resolved before the Kavanaugh hearings begin on September 4. Moreover, even if it were resolved in the Democrats’ favor, there would no way all of the documents could be produced, much less combed for a “gotcha,” in time.

More at the link: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/08/desperate-dems-say-theyll-go-to-court-to-get-kavanaugh-papers.php

Edited by B-Man

8 hours ago, B-Man said:
Unfortunately for Schumer and his fellow Democrats, there is no way their lawsuit could be resolved before the Kavanaugh hearings begin on September 4. Moreover, even if it were resolved in the Democrats’ favor, there would no way all of the documents could be produced, much less combed for a “gotcha,” in time.

The Democrats know that. Step 1 is to get some sort of halfassed finding from a judge stating that they are entitled to the documents. Step 2 is to file for an injunction to prevent the Senate from voting on Kavanaugh until after the FOIA requests are met - in about two years. They're hoping that getting some liberal activist district court judge to issue an injunction that will take months to get overturned on appeal - months they think they can use to get control of the Senate.

This is all about using every dirty trick they can think of to delay a confirmation vote until they can get a Senate majority and vote him down. It is not, and has never been about whether Judge Kavanaugh is a good jurist. Schumer couldn't care less about Kavanaugh - it's about #resisting actual literal super mecha-Hitler and getting himself more power.

There's no way that any court case to delay the vote would actually survive past the District Court level; scheduling the vote is clearly a political question solely within the purview of the Senate leadership.

The interesting thing is that, if they were to succeed, the Democrats may give Clarence Thomas exactly what he wants: a great case to use as a vehicle to eliminate the power of district court judges to issue sweeping injunctions. He has already been highly critical of whether or not a district court judge in one small jurisdiction has nationwide authority.

9 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The Democrats know that. Step 1 is to get some sort of halfassed finding from a judge stating that they are entitled to the documents. Step 2 is to file for an injunction to prevent the Senate from voting on Kavanaugh until after the FOIA requests are met - in about two years. They're hoping that getting some liberal activist district court judge to issue an injunction that will take months to get overturned on appeal - months they think they can use to get control of the Senate.

This is all about using every dirty trick they can think of to delay a confirmation vote until they can get a Senate majority and vote him down. It is not, and has never been about whether Judge Kavanaugh is a good jurist. Schumer couldn't care less about Kavanaugh - it's about #resisting actual literal super mecha-Hitler and getting himself more power.

There's no way that any court case to delay the vote would actually survive past the District Court level; scheduling the vote is clearly a political question solely within the purview of the Senate leadership.

The interesting thing is that, if they were to succeed, the Democrats may give Clarence Thomas exactly what he wants: a great case to use as a vehicle to eliminate the power of district court judges to issue sweeping injunctions. He has already been highly critical of whether or not a district court judge in one small jurisdiction has nationwide authority.

Nuclear option time. Once all the Republicans are in line, Ignore the Democrats entirely. Don't allow them to stonewall.

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Nuclear option time. Once all the Republicans are in line, Ignore the Democrats entirely. Don't allow them to stonewall.

Has to be a few GOP who will stall for favours

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

The Democrats know that. Step 1 is to get some sort of halfassed finding from a judge stating that they are entitled to the documents. Step 2 is to file for an injunction to prevent the Senate from voting on Kavanaugh until after the FOIA requests are met - in about two years.

That is true...and it will be very interesting.  The Judicial Branch ruling on an issue that's constitutionally the sole province of the Legislature, as ruled previously by the Judiciary.  

And I have no doubt they'll find a circuit court judge to give them that ruling...kicking it up to the Supreme Court, which will return a split 4-4 decision along partisan lines, thus leaving the lower court's judgement in place.  And the Democrats will have set another precedent to bite themselves in the ass...

...but this time, the precedent is that Congress does not have the power to set their own parlimentary procedures and bylaws.  Which I'm sure the Congressional Democrats are fine with, since they don't legislate but act as activists whose job it is to enable the executive.  But I don't think they realize that, in gutting Congressional independence, it basically becomes our Reichstag fire.

Does he still believe in this type of scrutiny of the executive branch? 

“After reflecting this evening, I am strongly opposed to giving the President any ‘break’ in the questioning regarding the details of the Lewinsky relationship” unless he “resigns” or “confesses perjury,” Kavanaugh wrote, continuing: “He has required the urgent attention of the courts and the Supreme Court for frivolous privilege claims — all to cover up his oral sex from an intern. He has lied to his aides. He has lied to the American people. He has tried to disgrace you and the Office with a sustained propaganda campaign that would make Nixon blush.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/brett-kavanaugh-memo-detailed-explicit-questions-for-clinton/2018/08/20/c0854616-a488-11e8-8fac-12e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.4215f1e13a1d

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So as a person of integrity you're on board with this choice for SC. . It would reflect support for the type of probe overseen by Herr Special Counsel Mueller. 

24 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

So as a person of integrity you're on board with this choice for SC. . It would reflect support for the type of probe overseen by Herr Special Counsel Mueller. 

Would it? Or has his opinion changed? I think he shouldn't have anything to do at all with the investigation and all matters derived from such. He should recuse himself 

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Would it? Or has his opinion changed? I think he shouldn't have anything to do at all with the investigation and all matters derived from such. He should recuse himself 

So, as a person of integrity, if his opinion matched yours 20 years ago, but changed to a new opinion in the 20 years since, you would be happy with him being on the Supreme Court, but only if he recuses himself from deciding issues he's nominated for to begin with because you don't like the new opinion? 

13 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

So, as a person of integrity, if his opinion matched yours 20 years ago, but changed to a new opinion in the 20 years since, you would be happy with him being on the Supreme Court, but only if he recuses himself from deciding issues he's nominated for to begin with because you don't like the new opinion? 

But he should recuse himself and state so up front!  You think he should not. And that he should give Trump a free legal

pass for anything 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

For the record, I'm all in favor of Mueller asking Trump if he put his cigar in Monica Lewinski's vagina.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

But he should recuse himself and state so up front!  You think he should not. And that he should give Trump a free legal

pass for anything 

It must be difficult to balance your outrage with your moral compass set to "it varies".  You have a guy you didn't like because of your expectation on how he would rule in an action not before the court and unlikely to ever be there, then you found some Intel from 1998 which would indicate he would decide the case in a way consistent with your political views, but now you want to hear him say he would recuse himself from a future case should it ever be before him because you think it was all an elaborate plan to throw you off the trail and keep 45 out of trouble? 

That's awesome. What a world you  live in. 

My prediction...he tells the ruling political class that will try such shenanigans to f off, but will do so in the nicest of ways.  

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It must be difficult to balance your outrage with your moral compass set to "it varies".  You have a guy you didn't like because of your expectation on how he would rule in an action not before the court and unlikely to ever be there, then you found some Intel from 1998 which would indicate he would decide the case in a way consistent with your political views, but now you want to hear him say he would recuse himself from a future case should it ever be before him because you think it was all an elaborate plan to throw you off the trail and keep 45 out of trouble? 

That's awesome. What a world you  live in. 

My prediction...he tells the ruling political class that will try such shenanigans to f off, but will do so in the nicest of ways.  

A criminal shouldn't be able to pick his own judge, do you agree? 

He should pldge to recuse himself. You disagree with that? 

Your theory is wrong, btw. All I'm saying is I don't trust the guy. He seemed out to get Clinton, and I'll bet he won't take the same approach to Trump. Trump appointed him, nudge nudge, wink wink, You understand what I mean? 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

A criminal shouldn't be able to pick his own judge, do you agree? 

He should pldge to recuse himself. You disagree with that? 

Your theory is wrong, btw. All I'm saying is I don't trust the guy. He seemed out to get Clinton, and I'll bet he won't take the same approach to Trump. Trump appointed him, nudge nudge, wink wink, You understand what I mean? 

Your first question is absurd on many levels, but you know that.  Any case that makes its way to the Supreme Court is decided by those confirmed to sit on the court. 

Your second question doubles down on stupid. Frame a question that would be posed to him that has a reasonable likelihood of being replied to by any nominee (not just the ones you don't like) and I'll gladly tell you what i think.  

I have no idea what your 3rd paragraph implies based on your prior arguments.  You don't want a justice to give someone in a position of power a break, provided a link to a justice following that standard, but actually want a justice to use different standards for Republicans and Democrats?  Base on what you said, Kavanaugh should be your guy. He didn't bow to special interests and or those in power. 

You're the Jan Brady of liberal politics.  Too many voices telling you too many things to be upset about. 

22 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Your first question is absurd on many levels, but you know that.  Any case that makes its way to the Supreme Court is decided by those confirmed to sit on the court. 

Your second question doubles down on stupid. Frame a question that would be posed to him that has a reasonable likelihood of being replied to by any nominee (not just the ones you don't like) and I'll gladly tell you what i think.  

I have no idea what your 3rd paragraph implies based on your prior arguments.  You don't want a justice to give someone in a position of power a break, provided a link to a justice following that standard, but actually want a justice to use different standards for Republicans and Democrats?  Base on what you said, Kavanaugh should be your guy. He didn't bow to special interests and or those in power. 

You're the Jan Brady of liberal politics.  Too many voices telling you too many things to be upset about. 

Boy, you get challenged and you fall apart pretty quick. That's a sign of a weak mind. :) 

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Boy, you get challenged and you fall apart pretty quick. That's a sign of a weak mind. :) 

And here we see, not the common "Double dumbass on you!" or the lesser "I'm rubber you're glue" gambit, but the rare and fleeting "run away while shouting 'I win! I win!'" strategy.

Usually soon followed by an archetypical example of the Gatorman Fallacy.  Stay tuned... 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And here we see, not the common "Double dumbass on you!" or the lesser "I'm rubber you're glue" gambit, but the rare and fleeting "run away while shouting 'I win! I win!'" strategy.

Usually soon followed by an archetypical example of the Gatorman Fallacy.  Stay tuned... 

You are one of the biggest reasons this board has a bad repution. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

i sincerely appreciate you hiding your prodigious intellect behind a veil of pretzel logic, questions that reveal an admirable dearth of understanding about the workings of the Supreme Court and the confirmation process, and a stunning display of hypocrisy that you are very comfortable acknowledging. 

My weak mind tells me Brett Kavanaugh  gets confirmed, that your President rolls on, that you keep chasing smoke and showing your friends how much you have in your pocket, and that there is no recusal to be had. Not now, not later, not never. 

I guess we'll see. 

10 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

i sincerely appreciate you hiding your prodigious intellect behind a veil of pretzel logic, questions that reveal an admirable dearth of understanding about the workings of the Supreme Court and the confirmation process, and a stunning display of hypocrisy that you are very comfortable acknowledging. 

My weak mind tells me Brett Kavanaugh  gets confirmed, that your President rolls on, that you keep chasing smoke and showing your friends how much you have in your pocket, and that there is no recusal to be had. Not now, not later, not never. 

I guess we'll see. 

I think we are both on the same page. I don't trust him for the same reasons you do trust him. 

12 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Whoever is running Hatch's social media accounts has been killing it lately. Go back through his timeline, there are some hilarious gems in there (said from someone who doesn't love Mr. Hatch)

I never cared for him (we had a second residence in Utah for years) but his Twitter account has been amazing for a while now. I love reading it. I swear I want to hire whoever runs it to run my Twitter account.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Whoever is running Hatch's social media accounts has been killing it lately. Go back through his timeline, there are some hilarious gems in there (said from someone who doesn't love Mr. Hatch)

Dudes 4th in line as president. You better respect him, brahhhh