Sammy Watkins classes it up on his way out of LA

Rigotz

45 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So Woods had his best year last year with what I think we would both agree a better QB than Tyrod. His totals in 12 games - 56/781/13.9/5. Watkins best year, again with Tyrod at QB in 13 games - 60/1,047/17.5/9. He had 4 more catches that net an additional 276 yards & 4 more TDs with a worse QB. I'll take option two that also draws double coverage several hundred more times a year than Woods does and opens the field up for fellow teammates. Something Woods has benefited from for the last four years. It's Watkins by a long shot, it's not even close.

Let Woods be the "number one receiver" in a season that's more garbage time than anything and see how he does.  I'm not saying Woods is the better receiver, talent-wise.  But he had nearly 800 yards on a playoff team with an elite running back and three (including Sam) excellent receivers.

You can't compare Woods' - or Sam's - numbers on Buffalo to their numbers on LA.  Two different teams with different coaches, talent, etc.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Let Woods be the "number one receiver" in a season that's more garbage time than anything and see how he does.  I'm not saying Woods is the better receiver, talent-wise.  But he had nearly 800 yards on a playoff team with an elite running back and three (including Sam) excellent receivers.

You can't compare Woods' - or Sam's - numbers on Buffalo to their numbers on LA.  Two different teams with different coaches, talent, etc.

Mcvay would tell you that Sammy was their #1 WR. They played him at that position, they split him wide and had him run the #1 WR routes, the defenses played him as the #1 WR almost ALWAYS putting a safety or shading a safety to him along with a CB on almost every play. Woods was the #2 and Kupp was the #3. Because of how the defenses played Sammy, which was evident in them if you bothered to watch, Goff would often look to Kupp because he was the matchup problem, which is how the genius McVay designed that offense. And McVay said Sammy was doubled all the time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I agree that we got fair trade value from the Rams. IMO, the mistake on McBeane's part came earlier - when they did not pick up Sammy's option. This is not to say I dont like McBeane - I am pretty stoked with most everything else they have done.

I agree they should have picked up the option. It would have made Watkins more valuable in a trade. Salary of about 13 mill.

Just FYI: deadline for picking up Sammie Watkins 5th yr option was May 3 and Beane was hired May 9. So that was all McDermott.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/16/nfl-los-angeles-rams-kansas-city-chiefs-sammy-watkins-free-agency-contract-offers/

McVay: "A lot of teams" were throwing a lot of money at Watkins, it wasn't just the Chiefs. Money talks in the NFL. That's how you know what teams think of you. It doesn't always turn out of course, look at Dareus, but it's as good an indicator as any.

44 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Mcvay would tell you that Sammy was their #1 WR. They played him at that position, they split him wide and had him run the #1 WR routes, the defenses played him as the #1 WR almost ALWAYS putting a safety or shading a safety to him along with a CB on almost every play. Woods was the #2 and Kupp was the #3. Because of how the defenses played Sammy, which was evident in them if you bothered to watch, Goff would often look to Kupp because he was the matchup problem, which is how the genius McVay designed that offense. And McVay said Sammy was doubled all the time. 

I guess all the other true #1's in this league don't get doubled all the time despite their much better statistics.

The serial habitual defenders and constant excuse givers of his failures are specially astounding given that he is quite the selfish ass.  He has no personality or charisma, he's dumb as a rock, he never endeared himself to the fanbase, he was a crappy teammate, he never ever came close to living up to where we drafted him yet his defenders trip over themselves to constantly provide excuses for all his failings. 

Seems odd to me ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

What he said was fine. It just doesn’t make sense.

Mahomes is going to be awful.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why do you think Mahomes is going to be awful?  

Is there some sort of prerequisite with a portion of the fan base to hate the best players on the team?  Fans wanted Reich over Kelly.  Labelled Jason Peters not a Buffalo guy. Rejoicing over trading away Lynch for nothing.  Constantly taking shots at Watkins despite when healthy being a dominant WR.  Blame Whaley for giving up too much to get him if you feel the talent, the position, or the alternatives were not worth giving up extra picks.  In fact,  agree it was dumb to give up picks to trade up for a WR.  But denying the talent he had is foolish.

As a few other said...he signed with KC for the money.  If KC had Matt Cassel at QB this year and we (KC) offered that contract, he would still be a Chief...and he would say something like, I feel like Andy Ried's O is the best fit....95% of players in any sport, select the contract that pays the most...there are few exceptions here and there to play close to your hometown, or you've been with a team so long you give a bit of discount to stay put...but 95% of the time...it's the money....players say and do stupid things all the time, but it's amazing that none of them ever just say it was about the money....it's especially baffling that in hip/hop black culutre...the way money is celebrated that most of these guys don't just come and brag all about the money.

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There was a report last week that Watkins has worked his ass off and picked up Andy Reid's complex offense faster than anyone had ever seen before, those that had been with Reid a long time.

Which is great for KC and Watkins if true, but why throw shade at Goff on your way out?  These guys are numbskulls.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Lfod said:

You notice he had a lot of good to say about the Rams when he first went to that team. Then he gets frustrated about targets. Rams was the second team he wasn't getting targets and feeling frustrated. I just see a pattern that is all I'm saying. 

Hopefully for him he gets established in KC. Good recievers get the job done. I'm sure all good WRs get focused on right? He can't be the only talented WR in the NFL that's drawing coverages. 

well Bills may not have one 

j/k

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No no, the "advance reptilian solar being"

image.thumb.png.20c12250e344775526c223e30e6b0221.png

yes , that' what i said   

: )

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Sammy just never got it going here in Buffalo and I think it was the right decision to move him when they did.  I'm not going to take anything away from him, he is a talented receiver and has a high ceiling, but with his injury issues, and the price it was going to cost to keep him, getting that 2nd rounder and Gaines was the right move by McBeane.  I think that foot injury is going to plague him his entire career.  Those foot injuries just never seem to get better.

Watkins was just one of an endless list of players the Bills misused. Hopefully such asshattery is in the past under McBeane.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I will admit that I may be letting my dislike of Sam the person get in the way of my respect for Sam the player.  However, the great WRs in the history of the game were all doubled.  They all had to play the decoy role.  But they also still got their numbers if they were really the #1 guy on their team.

But Sam didn't even crack 600 yards.  He caught just over half of the balls thrown to him.  The "he was doubled," excuse can't be used forever.  The great WRs STILL catch the ball.

Kupp and Woods both outperformed him.  They each had more yards/game.  More total yards.  And each caught about 65% of their targets.

If Sam was their #1 and the success of the passing game is a big part of what made the Rams so good, then Sam would still be on the Rams, come hell or high water.

49 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

well Bills may not have one 

j/k

yes , that' what i said   

: )

I like the idea of Kelvin Benjamin. I like the idea of a big target. That hit he took to his leg that injured him made me think that being a big target can be a bad thing in some situations. I hope he doesn't frequently take shots that will cause injury because he is a big target is what I'm saying. 

The other guys I hope make a name for themselves in the WR core. You say JK but even if your kidding I wouldn't disagree with you. I'd kick the tires on Sammy again considering the situation. 

The only thing about Sammy Watkins that bugs me is what Buffalo spent to get him and the end result. I'm not looking to blame Sammy for the end result. So to me regulardless of the causing factor the situation was mismanaged. The team spent to get a #1 WR and didn't turn him into one. That is the only thing that I don't like about the Sammy situation.

So when I say I didn't hear anything about  Sammy Watkins hasn't doing anything to make me regret the team moving on I say it without a bias against him. If he lights it up and gets that posotive media chatter then I will be inclined to think possibly Buffalo could of gotten that out of him if it was managed better at the time. 

I still think the Dareus as far as players that hurt the team always wins. 

Edited by Lfod

Sammy had this big fresh start with the Rams last year.

He had one game over 100 yards (106) and in that game he had 6 total catches, most of the season. He didn’t break 600 yards total for the season. 

He had 1 catch for 23 yards in their Playoff game. 

We keep waiting for this explosion, but I think he goes to KC and plays second fiddle to Tyreke Hill and Travis Kelce. 

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/12/nfl-los-angeles-rams-sammy-watkins-chiefs-free-agency-patrick-mahomes-jared-goff/amp/

Didn’t see this posted anywhere.

Sammy telling reporters he wants a “QB that he can grow with” and that’s why he picked KC. That’s coming from a team with Jared Goff at QB.

Kudos to the Bills for getting a 2nd rounder and Gaines for this guy, who certainly would have left in Free Agency and definitely has an attitude problem.

The Rams were not going to re-sign him so he chose a team with a QB he can grow with......what is wrong with that statement?

Edited by nucci

1 hour ago, eball said:

Which is great for KC and Watkins if true, but why throw shade at Goff on your way out?  These guys are numbskulls.

We don't know the context.  Sammy may have had 'stay in LA' as "not an option" and was talking about what team he chose from his available options here:

“I just made the playoffs one time, and I want to have a successful career. And the only way to do that is to get with a good coach and a good team, so I definitely looked at the players and the quarterback,” he said. “I got a young quarterback who might play 15 or 20 years and be great. I didn’t want to be with an older quarterback. I came here to be with a young guy that I can grow with. I’m young, he’s really young. It’s a young team in general.”

Or he may have been throwing shade, but it doesn't read that way to me.  He's saying he just made the playoffs with the Rams, which is pointing out their upside.

If the Rams weren't serious contenders for his services, he might not realize it sounds like he's throwing shade at them in the viewpoint of folks who think they were.