Charging the Mound

Rob's House

Does it bother you how quickly baseball brawls are broken up? When a guy charges the mound he's lucky to get more than a punch or 2 off before it's broken up. I say if you want to hum a 90+ mph pitch at a guy you should have to face the music.

I watched a hockey game once where one guy smashed into another, the other guy decided to throw down, and everybody stood back and let them settle it like men. Why can't baseball players do that?

I'm not suggesting an MMA match on the mound, but I am suggesting an unwritten rule by which the batter gets about 10 seconds to go at it before anyone jumps in.

Who's with me?

9 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Does it bother you how quickly baseball brawls are broken up? When a guy charges the mound he's lucky to get more than a punch or 2 off before it's broken up. I say if you want to hum a 90+ mph pitch at a guy you should have to face the music.

I watched a hockey game once where one guy smashed into another, the other guy decided to throw down, and everybody stood back and let them settle it like men. Why can't baseball players do that? 

I'm not suggesting an MMA match on the mound, but I am suggesting an unwritten rule by which the batter gets about 10 seconds to go at it before anyone jumps in.

Who's with me?

Not a bad question, at all.

Anytime someone charges the mound, the benches immediately clear.  I'd be okay with good judgment being used.  If Bryce Harper is charging the mound and I'm the opposing manager, I'm getting guys out there immediately.  But if it's a fair matchup, I'd be cool with letting it go until one was clearly getting more licks in than the other.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not a bad question, at all.

Anytime someone charges the mound, the benches immediately clear.  I'd be okay with good judgment being used.  If Bryce Harper is charging the mound and I'm the opposing manager, I'm getting guys out there immediately.  But if it's a fair matchup, I'd be cool with letting it go until one was clearly getting more licks in than the other.

Bryce Harper is a scrapper? 

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Bryce Harper is a scrapper? 

He's a beast.  Papelbon went at him, though (as teammates).  That's when I decided I liked Papelbon.

was there when George Bell karate-kicked Bruce Kison, leading to a great brawl

Bill Buckner contributed by kicking the elderly Jays pitching coach when the old man was on the ground

Baseball brawls have always been like that.  The 1-on-1 fight only lasts a punch or 2 b/c by then, the whole thing has deteriorated into a wild melee with people tackling the belligerents to the ground and all hell breaking loose all around them.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 guys square off but that can cut both ways.  Sometimes the guy you support in the fight is better off being saved by a crowd of teammates; sometimes you wish your guy could have finished business because he was enjoying a physical mismatch.

I am a big Red Sox fan and any brawl involving Red Sox and Yankees is always coveted.

One of my favorites in recent years was when A-Rod was yelling "F-YOU!" repeatedly to Jason Varitek's face until my boy Jason had enough, gave A-Rod an uppercut with his catcher's mitt still on, and then took him to the ground.  That one was in Fenway as I recall.

I've gotten into a benches clearing brawl and it's pretty scary.  You don't realize in a group of people fighting, punches are literally being thrown everywhere.  You don't know who to go after sometimes.

I'm not against letting them fight more but 99.9% of the time, a baseball fight is hard to watch because they can't fight.  I don't watch Hockey but those are entertaining fights because they actually know how to throw a proper punch.  Watching baseball players or NBA players fight is most of the time an eye roller or comical.

Image result for Major League 2 fight gif

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Baseball brawls have always been like that.  The 1-on-1 fight only lasts a punch or 2 b/c by then, the whole thing has deteriorated into a wild melee with people tackling the belligerents to the ground and all hell breaking loose all around them.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 guys square off but that can cut both ways.  Sometimes the guy you support in the fight is better off being saved by a crowd of teammates; sometimes you wish your guy could have finished business because he was enjoying a physical mismatch.

I am a big Red Sox fan and any brawl involving Red Sox and Yankees is always coveted.

One of my favorites in recent years was when A-Rod was yelling "F-YOU!" repeatedly to Jason Varitek's face until my boy Jason had enough, gave A-Rod an uppercut with his catcher's mitt still on, and then took him to the ground.  That one was in Fenway as I recall.

I could not stand Varitek.  But at that moment, I loved him with all my heart.

Because baseball players are pussys.  They embody the hold me back approach.  Even when they straight rush to the mound they take a round about way there to insure that it gets broken up before it gets going.  Then it is a bunch of pushing and pulling with few punches being thrown.  Baseball "fights: get a huge eye roll from me as @Royale with Cheese said.  They can't fight and are barely athletes (not discounting what they do as hitting in baseball is probably the hardest skill in pro sports).  Very rarely does an actual brawl break out.  

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/odor-bautista-rangers-blue-jays-brawls-bad-mlb-punches-thrown-051616

To the op question though, they should always be broken up.  Some of these guys are 20+ million dollar investments.  If they were allowed to fight you would get goons just to charge the mound and beat up the pitcher.  What protection would a pitcher have if a guy just decided to charge for no good reason?

I disagree. Fist fighting doesn't belong in team sports. I dislike hockey for that reason, among others.

Now, tennis, badminton, curling, Etc...that is some mono a mono conpetition and hand to hand combat should be encouraged! 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fence the dugouts... Then electrically lock the gates when somebody charges mound.

It would be 2 vs. 9.  The batter and the on deck guy... Let's see if they have the stones...

Of course the lock master wants to electronically lock gates.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Isn’t there a computer program or something that could do that task, rendering the lock operator unnecessary?  I mean...if we can put a rover on Mars...

Yes, Johnny.

It's the Space Force.

Sleep well, my friend.  At last ... sleep well.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Of course the lock master wants to electronically lock gates.

Yep!

Fence them in. Though, I don't pick the colors, not the Lockmaster.  I am just a working stiff.

Did I ever tell you the time we cornered a small boat in the lock... He had alluded the Coast Guard all night, hid in weeds in Lake Calumet, got his reg #s from them before starting my shift.  They told me: "If you see them, get them in lock and detain them... Call us."

Well sure as shiest... At day break... Little boat on upper wall looking to get to river... Never pressed signal or made radio contact.  Stealthing in along wall not to be detected... But I remember the note the USCG passed.  He came right in. Bam!  Gates close... Call USCG... Feign mechanical breakdown, lock out electricity. They say hold him.  I do the honors...Restore power... Crack gates and let Coasties in... They have a Coastie on the bow w/a mounted SAW... Others with weapons drawn coming in @ full wake... Straight out of Hollywood... Don't know what the boat did... But USCG wasn't playing and had them Shanghied to seats and took boat out on it's hip to the marine below is where cops were waiting.

Watched the guy on camera... He was in disbelief he could get through 400 tons of steel... But the other 400 was the tough part... Fell for trap. Another Dude was hiding in cuddy cabin.

Remember... This is after 911... USCG is now Homeland Defense and have their Article 10 powers.. Federal waterway...

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Isn’t there a computer program or something that could do that task, rendering the lock operator unnecessary?  I mean...if we can put a rover on Mars...

Yep... LoL... 

But here I sit letting the Eileen C. in with 9600 tons of BOOM!

You can watch it here right now... But quickly... Paint dries and She will be gone like a ghost in the night.

Real-time:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.568/centery:41.659/zoom:14

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

17 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Who's with me?

I'm okay with it but I hate when it leads to bench clearing stuff. 

58 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The most heated rivalry in baseball is still Dodgers-Giants, and there is probably no bigger brawl in baseball than this one...

https://www.mlb.com/video/marichal-roseboro-brawl-examined/c-409390583

Yep, and much of it that scenario was about retaliation. So maybe the guy who started the whole thing get off scot free and the last guy gets his clocked cleaned . Kinda like the 2nd foul in numerous sports will get the penalty flag.

Or maybe they should just stand there and point like Preston...

Edited by Uncle Joe

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

The most heated rivalry in baseball is still Dodgers-Giants, and there is probably no bigger brawl in baseball than this one...

https://www.mlb.com/video/marichal-roseboro-brawl-examined/c-409390583

I went to a Dodger/Giant game about 10 years ago at Chavez Ravine.   A Dodger fan stood up, took his 24 oz beer and poured it on a Giants fan.  I sat next to both of them and there wasn't any trash talking or anything.  He literally just stood up and drenched him.

As soon as the Giant fan stood up, about 10 Dodger fans stood up too.  The Giant fan was with his wife/girlfriend, the Dodger fans were gansta's for sure....

It's the bean counters and lawyers.  Insurance companies don't want to be paying out the short term disability on a $40 million contract because the pricey insured asset broke his hand in the 30-second bar fight.  

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I went to a Dodger/Giant game about 10 years ago at Chavez Ravine.   A Dodger fan stood up, took his 24 oz beer and poured it on a Giants fan.  I sat next to both of them and there wasn't any trash talking or anything.  He literally just stood up and drenched him.

As soon as the Giant fan stood up, about 10 Dodger fans stood up too.  The Giant fan was with his wife/girlfriend, the Dodger fans were gansta's for sure....

Not surprised one bit. Filthy Dodgers fans.

Although I've heard many stories of what it was like at Candlestick Park. There were always fights between Giants and Dodgers fans. I don't know if it's as prominent at AT&T Park now, but the hate is still there.