Bills' OTAs Week 3 (June 4-5) and (June 7-8) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday at 11 AM ET

Josh Allen was seventh pick in NFL draft, but remains third string with Buffalo Bills

ORCHARD PARK — Josh Allen may be the future quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, but for right now, he’s a rookie third-stringer, and that’s not changing anytime soon.

“To this point, it’s been Nate (Peterman) and A.J. (McCarron) splitting the 1’s and Josh has been with the 3’s,” coach Sean McDermott reiterated Thursday prior to the start of the Bills’ final OTA session of the spring. “It’s a fluid situation. It’s all part of doing what’s best for our football team and for Josh’s development overall. It’s just what’s the right thing to do at the right time.”

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Nate looking good?

Cant even imagine the meltdown if he is starting at any time this year..

As someone who has completely written off Nate Peterman I will not have a meltdown.  I will hope all week that he is the franchise guy we have been waiting for.  I'll have a knot in my stomach just like last year but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.  I don't wish for anyone's failure.  I don't think he has what it takes but would love to be wrong!

Edited by section122
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, section122 said:

As someone who has completely written off Nate Peterman I will not have a meltdown.  I will hope all week that he is the franchise guy we have been waiting for.  I'll have a knot in my stomach just like last year but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.  I don't wish for anyone's failure.  I don't think he has what it takes but would love to be wrong!

As a rookie he proved incapable of handling pressure and appeared to lack the requisite arm strength to play at this level. The former is something he can learn to overcome, but the latter is very difficult to improve in a meaningful way.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As a rookie he proved incapable of handling pressure and appeared to lack the requisite arm strength to play at this level. The former is something he can learn to overcome, but the latter is very difficult to improve in a meaningful way.

Would be awesome if NP became a viable option.  Just need a few worthwhile starts out of him and/or AJ to delay Allen's push into the starting line up.  It's in Allen's best interest to delay that as long as possible.

Also could create some trade bait...

Playing 3rd string, screwing up a little. Seeing what doesn’t work is a lot better right now for Allen than anything.  Everyone here is judging everything, using preconceived notions.  Instilling an agenda, I’d rather see him learn from screwing up in 3rd team as he Gets a foundation in. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.  I don't THINK he will be any good and I think people only cling to him because he fit the anyone but Taylor crowd's desire for a qb.  It amazes me that people still defend him.  If a rb came in and was a 5th rounder and had 5 fumbles in a half everyone would want him cut.  Hell if any 5th rounder came in and had 5 penalties in a half let alone turnovers, everyone would want him cut.  For some reason though Peterman is Teflon for some.  

• Like (+1) 1

In my opinion Allen getting third team reps is as much about taking it slow as it is trying to install a new offense and getting the rest of the offense up to speed.

Getting the rest of the offense comfortable in the new scheme will only help when Allen eventually takes first team reps.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills OTAs: WR Reilly, DE Odighizuwa Get Plenty of Looks with 1st Team

The Bills wrapped up their second-to-last Organized Team Activity Thursday, which was also the last one open to the media before next week’s mandatory minicamp.  Here are some notes, videos, and observations:

5 THINGS WE LEARNED FROM WEEK 3 OF OTAS

tre-6-7-photo-use.jpg
The last practice of the week to close out OTAs was intense, but coach McDermott explained how that's been the norm, rather than the exception.

BILLS MINUTE: QUARTERBACKS SPLIT REPS (1:10)
Bills Quarterback's AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman, and Josh Allen split reps during the final week of OTA's and Defensive Lineman Shaq Lawson has a new focus on developing as a pass rusher.

I'm curious to hear if Reilly got any separation from the starting corners since he got most time at outside WR.

It'll be fun to watch the Wrs compete for spots.

Im thinking it'll Kelvin #1, zay #2, kerley #3

After that all spots are competed for between - reilly, Robert foster, ray ray, streater, holmes, proehl, dupre, Bray, phillips

Edited by Brian3488

7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills OTAs, Week Three

ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) - In a blink of an eye, the final week of Organized Team Activities for the Buffalo Bills is almost over, and that means we're that much closer to the start of training camp. As the Bills took to the field for their second-to-last voluntary workout on Thursday, there was some movement within the depth chart along with some positive performances.

What stood out from Thursday's session? Seven observations from the Bills day of work:
1) Josh Allen sticking with the 3s
2) Milano's absence noticeable
3) Kerley entrenched with the top unit
4) Groy vs. Bodine
5) Lawson continues along with an added role
6) Taiwan Jones had trouble hanging on to the ball
7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills OTAs, Week Three

ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) - In a blink of an eye, the final week of Organized Team Activities for the Buffalo Bills is almost over, and that means we're that much closer to the start of training camp. As the Bills took to the field for their second-to-last voluntary workout on Thursday, there was some movement within the depth chart along with some positive performances.

What stood out from Thursday's session? Seven observations from the Bills day of work:
1) Josh Allen sticking with the 3s
2) Milano's absence noticeable
3) Kerley entrenched with the top unit
4) Groy vs. Bodine
5) Lawson continues along with an added role
6) Taiwan Jones had trouble hanging on to the ball
7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

I was hoping to see Wyatt Teller as the back-up to Ducasse not Miller, but is still too early to project positions. 

13 hours ago, section122 said:

Amen brotha!!!

On 6/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, FearLess Price said:

Our offense is probobly taking a big step back and thats bad considering Dennison nuetered our offense last season. Simply off our OL and WR rosters. Our defense should be better.

It depends - if you really believe Dennison was the biggest reason the offense was bad last year - then if Daboll is a better coach - even with a few weaker players - he should easily be able to get more out of the offense.

If Dennison was only part of the problem and TT was another big piece - both were replaced - so again you have Daboll and a new QB that is a question mark.

The WRs are bad, but I don’t think they are worse than our starting WRs last year to me they are a wash.  The interesting piece will be OLine - it looks weaker on paper, but in the past Groy replaced Wood with no drop off.  So you have either Groy or Bodine at center - maybe a slight drop off.  The big loss is Cogs and the Bills obviously did not grade him as high as places like PFF.  I expect a small step back as the new guys work to function as a unit, but I think a good game plan can counter most of that.

I expect realistically to see the Bills offense much as it has the last 3 years struggling at times and making plays at times - the hope is they can make plays when they need to to win a few close games.

Matthew Fairburn | mfairburn@nyup.com

Sean McDermott and the Buffalo Bills have a plan. 
Despite persistent questions and the temptation to see rookie quarterback Josh Allen against better competition, the Bill kept him with the No. 3 offense throughout OTAs. That will likely be the case at minicamp next week as well. 

Peterman on fire
Ryan Groy getting a shot
Josh Allen update
Shaq Lawson fighting for a role
Sean McDermott impressed by Tremaine Edmunds
No Matt Milano
Big plays on defense

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It depends - if you really believe Dennison was the biggest reason the offense was bad last year - then if Daboll is a better coach - even with a few weaker players - he should easily be able to get more out of the offense.

If Dennison was only part of the problem and TT was another big piece - both were replaced - so again you have Daboll and a new QB that is a question mark.

The WRs are bad, but I don’t think they are worse than our starting WRs last year to me they are a wash.  The interesting piece will be OLine - it looks weaker on paper, but in the past Groy replaced Wood with no drop off.  So you have either Groy or Bodine at center - maybe a slight drop off.  The big loss is Cogs and the Bills obviously did not grade him as high as places like PFF.  I expect a small step back as the new guys work to function as a unit, but I think a good game plan can counter most of that.

I expect realistically to see the Bills offense much as it has the last 3 years struggling at times and making plays at times - the hope is they can make plays when they need to to win a few close games.

Great post. I do not think the talent level on offense is a big enough drop off from last year to ensure we will be worse on offense. Coaching and play calling will be key. If Daboll is the real deal and willing to play to our guys strengths, we will be at least as good as last year. Let us not forget just how bad Dennison was last year. His play calling was infuriating, especially in the red zone.

I can’t find any videos of esterday OTAs. Any have links and to McDermotts interview???

the Bills media department is awful compared to other teams. They don’t produce content for the fans like other teams do.

Get on it Pegulas!!!!

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

I can’t find any videos of esterday OTAs. Any have links and to McDermotts interview???

the Bills media department is awful compared to other teams. They don’t produce content for the fans like other teams do.

Get on it Pegulas!!!!

23 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott's Presser: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1rmxPmvnyAnKN

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, wppete said:

Get on it Pegulas!!!!

It's for sure got worse over the last two years.    Assume its a part of the "process" but if it works Ill take it. 

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's for sure got worse over the last two years.    Assume its a part of the "process" but if it works Ill take it. 

This. We've heard how obsessed with detail McD is. It wouldn't surprise me if he had his hands on this one. Literally the day they hired him, the content got very sparse.

Bills Staying Patient with Open Roster Spot

With the Eric Wood situation resolved and his retirement official as it pertains to the Bills roster, there is an open spot. Buffalo currently has 89 players on their roster. Head coach Sean McDermott explained that there is approach is to be patient and if the right opportunity comes along to make a signing at that time.

“As far as the roster goes, the approach that Brandon (Beane) and I take is that we talk every day and really, it’s not about, and you’ve heard us say this before, it’s not about getting to 90, it’s the right 90,” he said. “We’d rather be patient at this point and just make sure it’s the right player at the right time. I know Brandon and his staff are continuously evaluating that and I know that, when they find the right opportunity, they’ll jump on it.”

This was in the Bills mailbag.

McDermott and Daboll seem like a good match. Any observations on them together and do you see any differences from the previous OC? Thanks Chris!

Timothy Filutze
@timothy_filutze

CB: I’ll begin by saying I think the big plus that Daboll brings is he is more relatable to the players than former OC Rick Dennison was. Dennison could interact with the players, but developing a relationship seemed a bit more difficult for him at times. That is not the case with Daboll and the players on offense as I outlined in my story on him last week.

But I’ll let coach McDermott explain the give and take he and coach Daboll have enjoyed thus far.

“We try and take the approach of ‘iron sharpens iron’ really where I’m learning from him, he’s learning from me I this case,” McDermott said. “Again, we’re all learning from one another, so if you just start there, you usually have the start of a pretty good recipe.

“He has an ability to think at a higher level and he understands trends in terms of what’s going on, what’s trending in and around the NFL. Obviously, there has been an adjustment because the system is different than the system we used last year. I believe the players are really buying into what we’re doing and what Brian is doing as well as the entire offensive staff for that matter.”

The relationship part is interesting because when you hear the players talk, they talk about how much of a family environment it is. They talk about McDermott asking about their family's and how they're doing outside of football. The way McDermott had players share their stories last year shows what kind of environment he's trying to build, one that is very close and where people truly care about each other.

I'm sure we've heard before about being dynamic or forward thinking, but I tend to believe it a bit more with this staff. Not only because Daboll comes from organizations that really push match ups and the details, but also because of my belief in McDermott. Last season was embarrassing in terms of mashing a square peg through a round hole on offense. I would have preferred McDermott figure that out before we watched an entire season of it, but it's refreshing to see them make a change before it's too late. 

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yea it really has. Just looking by at some other teams they have all the team interviews on YouTube  fun videos and OTA videos for the fans. 

The Bills are drooping the ball when it comes to sharing media with the fans. 

Edited by wppete

Bills Today: Benjamin finally has time to learn the playbook 

1 - Benjamin finally has time to learn the playbook
He’s the Bills number one wide receiver and he is reaching a level of comfort that he had trouble finding last season. It’s never easy to be traded in any professional sport, but in the NFL, in the middle of the season, Kelvin Benjaminicon-article-link.gif went from knowing the Carolina Panthers playbook, to knowing nothing about his new offense.

Benjamin first took the field for the Bills in Week 10 last season, but he was playing a step behind everyone else, and not because of his knee.

“Last season, it was different because I didn’t really learn the playbook,” said Benjamin. “I really only learned that week’s game plan. I’d only know the plays going in this week, and then going into the next week, I had to sort of forget those plays and learn the new ones. I was on a week-to-week basis and I just had to stay extra and kind of just cram it all in.”

Now, Benjamin has to start over with an entirely new offensive playbook including a new offensive coordinator in Brian Daboll, but Benjamin has enjoyed his experience with his new OC so far.

“He’s great, man. I mean because he listens to you,” said Benjamin. “He’s not one of those OCs who just put the playbook in front of you, you know. He asks you questions a lot. He asks you questions about routes that you like, asks you about plays that you like and ‘Do you want to move around? Can you handle this?’ All those types of things, that just show that he cares about you as a player. He cares about you as a person and he wants to win.”

And when it comes to comfort level, Benjamin compares this year and last year as night and day.

“I feel like I’m a QB out there because I know pretty much what everybody’s doing,” said Benjamin. “Last year, I only knew what I was doing.”
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

This. We've heard how obsessed with detail McD is. It wouldn't surprise me if he had his hands on this one. Literally the day they hired him, the content got very sparse.

Loose lips. Smart.

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills Today: Benjamin finally has time to learn the playbook 

1 - Benjamin finally has time to learn the playbook
He’s the Bills number one wide receiver and he is reaching a level of comfort that he had trouble finding last season. It’s never easy to be traded in any professional sport, but in the NFL, in the middle of the season, Kelvin Benjaminicon-article-link.gif went from knowing the Carolina Panthers playbook, to knowing nothing about his new offense.
Benjamin first took the field for the Bills in Week 10 last season, but he was playing a step behind everyone else, and not because of his knee.

“Last season, it was different because I didn’t really learn the playbook,” said Benjamin. “I really only learned that week’s game plan. I’d only know the plays going in this week, and then going into the next week, I had to sort of forget those plays and learn the new ones. I was on a week-to-week basis and I just had to stay extra and kind of just cram it all in.”

Now, Benjamin has to start over with an entirely new offensive playbook including a new offensive coordinator in Brian Daboll, but Benjamin has enjoyed his experience with his new OC so far.

“He’s great, man. I mean because he listens to you,” said Benjamin. “He’s not one of those OCs who just put the playbook in front of you, you know. He asks you questions a lot. He asks you questions about routes that you like, asks you about plays that you like and ‘Do you want to move around? Can you handle this?’ All those types of things, that just show that he cares about you as a player. He cares about you as a person and he wants to win.”

And when it comes to comfort level, Benjamin compares this year and last year as night and day.

“I feel like I’m a QB out there because I know pretty much what everybody’s doing,” said Benjamin. “Last year, I only knew what I was doing.”

all this may not amount to a hill of beans, but it sounds great. i love that the OC is taking feedback and listening to his players. also very glad to hear that KB is getting involved and excited. 

Edited by swnybillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2018 at 10:14 AM, wppete said:

Get on it Pegulas!!!!

Have you downloaded the Bills App yet?

or Buffalo Bills.com

—————————-  WRT the reports being posted 

For a guy who doesn’t like Nate he sure is pasting a lot of articles saying Nate is doing well in camp.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

or Buffalo Bills.com

For a guy who doesn’t like Nate he sure is pasting a lot of articles saying Nate is doing well in camp.  

...what time does his bus leave anyway?.....UBER wants to know.............

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what time does his bus leave anyway?.....UBER wants to know.............

To the Pro Bowl?

bout the same time as that guy who was asking for votes. 

?

On 6/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, wppete said:

Yea it really has. Just looking by at some other teams they have all the team interviews on YouTube  fun videos and OTA videos for the fans. 

The Bills are drooping the ball when it comes to sharing media with the fans. 

Sorry got distracted 

the Bills app is pretty good for still pictures, videos and radio broadcasts.  And written stories of course.  

Basically the same content on the Bills site for recent news. 

A majority of what is copied here comes from there. 

jqqRg

bt0loP

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

or Buffalo Bills.com

—————————-  WRT the reports being posted 

Shady, are you familiar with the 7 deadly sins?

26CB... keep doing what you're doing... the rest of us appreciate it even if Shady's just 

tenor.gif?itemid=8644789