Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

2 hours ago, Mopreme said:

Why would the Bills release him fron the retired list?  Any benefit for the Bills?  If not then they should have kept him there for back so he cannot play for anyone else. 

Out of spite? They did the right thing IMO. Just cut him and move on. He is a 34 years old interior offensive lineman but if he thinks he can find a big $ deal then go for it. It sounds like he basically changed his mind about taking a pay cut and would rather try his luck in the open market. To bad he felt that he had to lie in order to do so, but I guess that's par for the course these days.

The Bills just made a significant investment in a rookie, who they hope will be the face of the franchise for a decade or more. They have to do every thing possible to provide him with an environment conducive to his rapid development as a quality NFL starter.

Maybe they thought Richie and his somewhat unstable offseason, and his history are not what they want in that environment. So when Richie says he wants to continue playing, they decided to let him do it elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

My guess is Brandon Beane negotiated his release. I doubt the Bills agreed to lose 1.5 mil just to be nice

The Bills certainly got something in return

My guess would be the ability to match

Or maybe they got $1.15M dollars.  “We release you now so you get your best chance, you quietly repay your prorated bonus.  Otherwise we hang onto you and you can work through the medical exams with our team physicians carefully checking out your liver and kidneys to see if you belong on PUP or NFI”

2 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I've regretted plenty, and once I was an adult, I stopped blaming others for my regrets.

That's what an adult does. Admit a mistake, then doesn't make it again.

An adult does not regret a mistake, go batschitt crazy on social media, whine, cry, and throw a temper tantrum until mommy and daddy give him a freaking lollipop.

You desperately sound like a person who is cheering against the organization. I can promise you one thing: based on the body of work put forth so far, there will never be a day when a whiny-ass child like Incognito outsmarts McBeane. Not today. Not ever. Incognito is a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them.

He actually is extremely intelligent and well spoken. Very obvious in interviews.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He not only refused, he didn’t even bother to answer his phone the entire offseason when the team tried calling him numerous times. And to top it off, he screwed his teammates and the fans, by showing up grossly out of shape after skipping camp. He was the picture of unprofessionalism. 

Yes, it was a damned shame we couldn’t find a way to keep a future HOF player. And we definitely screwed the pooch in many aspects of the relationship. But it takes two and he made it clear he wanted out the entire time. And why? Because the Bills had the temerity to ask him to own up to the deal he had only recently renegotiated? 

Peters was an immensely talented player, but consider the message it would have sent to the rest of the team if you resigned him after he basically shafted the team by showing up out of shape as a renegotiation ploy to get a new contract two years early after one season at LT? I'll be honest, no way I would have kept him.

Edited by vincec

RIchie was awesome the past three seasons.

But the guy obviously does not know what he wants to do. He changes his mind too often.

Which is most likely why the Bills ultimately released him. You cant have someone taking key reps all offseason if they are only going to retire halfway through the season. 

21 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I've regretted plenty, and once I was an adult, I stopped blaming others for my regrets.

That's what an adult does. Admit a mistake, then doesn't make it again.

An adult does not regret a mistake, go batschitt crazy on social media, whine, cry, and throw a temper tantrum until mommy and daddy give him a freaking lollipop.

You desperately sound like a person who is cheering against the organization. I can promise you one thing: based on the body of work put forth so far, there will never be a day when a whiny-ass child like Incognito outsmarts McBeane. Not today. Not ever. Incognito is a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them.

Cheering against the Bills?!? My argument is that I think the Bills would be better if we kept our best offensive lineman.  To me, that sounds like I am taking a good faith position promoting the best interests of the Bills and, in particular, the QB and Shady who will have to play behind this line.

As for who outsmarted whom:

Incognito got his release and got to keep his bonus.  In other words, he got what he wanted.  If you want to call this a win for McBeane, that is your certainly your prerogative. 

11 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Poor choice to merge the Incognito Released thread into this. I came to the board tonight for that headline, and it's missing. 

If anything the title of the thread should have been updated pre-merge. Just my constructive criticism...people use this board as a news source (I know I do), and the choice to merge does that objective a disservice.

I agree.

The news was all over my Google feed,where I get my news, came here to get the inside details and was confused because I didn't see that headline.

Since they technically released him, the Bills cannot recoup the bonus money they paid him.  I still don't understand why they would release him?  Absolutely no benefit.  Why not trade him and if they cannot find any takers (which is probably the case) then just keep him tucked away on the reserve/retired list, who cares about doing the right thing for this guy?   

1 minute ago, Mopreme said:

Since they technically released him, the Bills cannot recoup the bonus money they paid him.  I still don't understand why they would release him?  Absolutely no benefit.  Why not trade him and if they cannot find any takers (which is probably the case) then just keep him tucked away on the reserve/retired list, who cares about doing the right thing for this guy?   

Whaley?

Potential free agents, current players, past players, nflpa, fans...is that enough groups of people who would care about doing the right thing by him?

• Like (+1) 1

My And researched educated "guess" is this.

Ritchie wants to play football. He is also getting older and knows he needs to cash out. But he wants to play football and Hates the other bull **** that comes with playing in the NFL. His time away will potentially get him to refocus and maybe try a comeback again

Those that knew him knew when he was away last time the biggest reason he came back so strong was she was hungry and could focus on the game and playing the kids sport he loved.

4 years in this go round he is tired of the same BS that makes football not fun.

7 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

This is a stupid, stupid move. We had leverage and should have used it. If he wanted to play again for another team, we should have gotten something. We made Boldin sit for a year, why not Richie. We don't even get a compensatory pick for this. Just a bad, bad decision.

This implies another team is willing to give up something for him. 

45 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree.

The news was all over my Google feed,where I get my news, came here to get the inside details and was confused because I didn't see that headline.

I'm with you guys.  Delete the stupid Richie retired thread and start a new one.  So annoying to have to page through months old posts because God forbid we can't have two threads on the same guy.

In other news, why did we release him and give the guy a free $mil and potentially have to play against him again.

Beane says all moves are to make the team better, this doesn't pass the smell test.

• Like (+1) 5

I'm guessing the Bills did Ritchie a solid and cut him. I can't see why he'd just walk away from us unless it was because Eric Wood retired as know the two of them were really close. Ultimately I think it is medically related and he likely can't play anymore hence his filing for retirement etc. and we cut him so he could keep the money and help our cap and maybe add a few guys after June 1.

14 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Whaley?

Potential free agents, current players, past players, nflpa, fans...is that enough groups of people who would care about doing the right thing by him?

Wait.  He signed a contract and then quit before he fulfilled it.  Are you saying he deserves the free $mil?  He got paid in full last year, that's doing the right thing.  Awarding roster bonus money to a retired player isn't a precedent any team would set

55 minutes ago, Peter said:

Cheering against the Bills?!? My argument is that I think the Bills would be better if we kept our best offensive lineman.  To me, that sounds like I am taking a good faith position promoting the best interests of the Bills and, in particular, the QB and Shady who will have to play behind this line.

As for who outsmarted whom:

Incognito got his release and got to keep his bonus.  In other words, he got what he wanted.  If you want to call this a win for McBeane, that is your certainly your prerogative. 

Dawk is our best lineman, and was for the 2nd half of last year.  Richie is good but Dawk is great.

31 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I'm with you guys.  Delete the stupid Richie retired thread and start a new one.  So annoying to have to page through months old posts because God forbid we can't have two threads on the same guy.

In other news, why did we release him and give the guy a free $mil and potentially have to play against him again.

Beane says all moves are to make the team better, this doesn't pass the smell test.

Are there any posters out there that like wading through 29 pages, going back months? Yea, they are obnoxious! 

5 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Wonder if he thought something was gonna come out about the alleged incident in Jacksonville. He proceeds to retire to keep his current imagine as clean as possible to get a job in broadcasting

Except that I think his Twitter meltdown would rather tarnish his image with NFL-type broadcasting (since it's click-o-genic some media would :wub: it)

47 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Wait.  He signed a contract and then quit before he fulfilled it.  Are you saying he deserves the free $mil?  He got paid in full last year, that's doing the right thing.  Awarding roster bonus money to a retired player isn't a precedent any team would set

We don't know all the details on the situation. If he plays for someone else it's interesting, if not, and stays retired then it changes things. I don't think you're wrong per se, and mostly the thought of using the Whaley line cracked me up a bit (I know, laughing at my own jokes).

It was the absolute nature of the comment though that got that response. There are several potential benefits of the move, depending on the details, which likely will be made clear in time (if he doesn't even try to play, or tries and fails a physical, etc.).