Josh Allen: Analytics

Question: I hard one draft expert on WGR a few days ago state 'The analytics suggest that Josh Allen will not become a franchise QB'

What analytics is he referring to? Anyone know where they are available?

Thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Question: I hard one draft expert on WGR a few days ago state 'The analytics suggest that Josh Allen will not become a franchise QB'

Thanks in advance

931EF76B-C923-4676-B87C-FCED33F7ED12.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Thanks in advance

See this analysis that someone posted a while back:   https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/qbase-2018

30 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Thanks in advance

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/5/17046116/2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-josh-allen-sam-darnold-projections-hype

42 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Thanks in advance

College completion rate. That's about it.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, billspro said:

Josh Allen will not look good on analytics. There is no system that is perfect. Allen HAS elite traits and has a good chance to be an exception to all analytics. 

I corrected this because we do not know if he is. The elite talent is still to be determined. Everyone is in love with his measurable and everyone is wondering/hoping if he can be a franchise QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Tom Brady was a 7th rounder...

He was a 6th rounder and he is why QBs like Jimmy Clausen and EJ Manuel go early now. 

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

College completion rate. That's about it.

And how he crumbles under pressure. And how he is bad against the blitz. And how he leaves more clean pockets than the other top 4. And how his adjusted completion percentage was still the worst. And how he actually had the lowest drop rate out of the big 4. And how he had the worst completion percentage in passes under 15 yards.

And how....

He's our guy and I will support, but a lot of glaring issues that the staff ignored or didn't care about because he can make plays nobody else can. You can usually tell how bad a guys performance was based on the amount of excuses that need to be made for them.

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wonder if it's the same analytics the Cleveland Browns relied so heavily on, that told them Carson Wentz would never be a top 15-20 QB in the NFL... 

Hopefully the Bills end up looking as smart as the Eagles did. 

• Like (+1) 3

Josh Allen is big. Carson Wentz is big. Josh Allen can throw far. Wentz can throw far.  Allen went to an obscure College in a northern state where not many people live. Wentz went to an obscure college in a northern state where not many people live. 

Thus, Allen = Wentz. Analytics

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Thanks in advance

I just started a thread on this topic; listen to Eric Galko from yesterday on WGR-550.  Maybe that was what you were thinking of.

For example, since 1999, no college QB with fewer than 30 starts and a completion % in college below 60% has ever amounted to jack at the NFL level.

Allen had 27 starts.  Completion percentage was 56.2% for his career.

There are mathematical models for predicting college QB success in the NFL.  The people who actually study that stuff/compute that stuff/know of that stuff almost universally do not think Allen will amount to anything in the NFL.

The people who are prone to ignoring it are the people who are ignorant of it to begin with, or place little value in it, i.e., ex football players.

Allen COULD be a success, of course, but the data/historical record predicts he will not be successful.

He's an unbelievably high risk/reward pick.

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Tom Brady was a 7th rounder...

6th rounder and one of the greatest statistical anomalies in sports history.

You basing your draft strategy off crazy 1 in 10 million lighting strikes?  Let me know how that works out for you.

Much smarter, more predictable, and more reliable to go where the data leads you.

• Like (+1) 3