Interesting quote from MMQB, possibly in reference to Bills

Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

“People call you and they want the second pick of the draft for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog. Leave me alone. I don’t have time to screw around.”

—Giants GM Dave Gettleman, with what was actually The Quote of The 2018 Draft.

Guys say stuff like this to make themselves look big.  Most of the time you just come off looking small.  This didn't need to be said.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

The only interesting aspect of this to me is this:

If we really did try hard to move to #2, it means we did not want Allen as our first pick.  No way we were thinking we would need to move to 2 to get Allen.

If that is true, I wonder who it is that we really wanted?

For all we know, "our guy" that everyone wanted us to move the world for was Baker Mayfield.  When Cleveland took him first somewhat surprisingly, our entire draft  shifted to a contingency plan.

Entirely possible.  

Lance Zierlein was saying the morning of the draft that if Buffalo traded up to 2, it would be for Allen. 

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Lance Zierlein was saying the morning of the draft that if Buffalo traded up to 2, it would be for Allen. 

Well I'm glad Gettleman didn't take the deal then.  I can live with Allen at 7 and then Edmunds with a trade up from 22.  But had we traded up to 2, no Edmunds and no 2nd round picks this year and perhaps a 1st next year off the table I would not be able to live with that for Allen.

4 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Guys say stuff like this to make themselves look big.  Most of the time you just come off looking small.  This didn't need to be said.

Gettleman loves when the camera is on him. He sees himself as the face of the franchise in his own mind. The press conference where he argued that RBs should be drafted high was embarrassing. Poor Giants fans.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There were reports that the Bills offered 3 first rounders for pick 2. That would make sense, as you have 3 QBs to choose from. The Colts pick at 3 might not offer that, plus the Jets paid the ransom anyway. 

Beane wanted to keep his second pick in the first round, so a trade with the Giants was never going to happen,  Still, calling to find out Gettleman's price was part of the due diligence he neded to do.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

GM Speak

Gettleman would be a fool to say that he had an offer of 3 first round picks+ but decided to stay at #2 and draft the least valuable position in football.

or the most exciting talent of the draft 

3 hours ago, wppete said:

9AzrAaZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Thank you Gettlemen for allowing us to make this happen!!!

4 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

Makes you wonder why the game was a close as it was...

:devil:

We all know why. He went undrafted and has a try out with the Saints. Not even a udfa contract. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, stuvian said:

guys as dumb as Iron Mike are once in a generation

Guys that dumb surround us all. Guys that dumb reaching that level of power is indeed rare.