Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

Just now, Tenhigh said:

This really seems like a simplistic way of looking at a topic that is quite complex. 

Or at least, a theory that you can never prove.  Suffice it to say that sitting a QB won't harm him and leave it at that.

Just now, Doc said:

Or at least, a theory that you can never prove.  Suffice it to say that sitting a QB won't harm him and leave it at that.

Could very much harm him because regardless of what he picks up watching, he cannot prepare for the live bullets of the pass rush or the speed of the DBs, LBs and DLs behind or past the LOS. So it may take him much longer to reach his potential versus a guy who faced it for a year or two and struggled but learned the speed and intricacies of the game at that speed.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Could very much harm him because regardless of what he picks up watching, he cannot prepare for the live bullets of the pass rush or the speed of the DBs, LBs and DLs behind or past the LOS. So it may take him much longer to reach his potential versus a guy who faced it for a year or two and struggled but learned the speed and intricacies of the game at that speed.

He could also get PTSD from getting put into early behind what currently looks like a less than ideal offensive line situation. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....nor should he...let AJ and Peterman play....teach Allen the speed and intricacies of the NFL game. Don't rush him out there or you will have wasted 2 second round picks....

Peterman will be cut IMO.. AJ will start.....   Allen may earn time before the year is out IMO

Zapoticky actulaly looks like a better 3rd QB option IMO over Peterman and he can be put on a PS

This will all be sorted out through TC and the Preseason games. McCarron will get his fair shot as promised along with Allen and Peterman. Unless Peterman wow's the coaching staff I doubt he gets the first team reps as the other two. May the best man win. 

He’s probably the best qB on the team at the moment but I wouldn’t start him until around weeks 7-9.  We play 5 of our first 7 on the road.  The last being the @colts in week 7 followed by pats mnf and the bears week 9.  Starting him vs the pats could be the worst decision possible......but can you imagine if we unleash him on mnf and he plays lights out?  That would be epic.  Home vs the bears would be a safer choice.

waiting would allow us to see how our Ol is doing and give them some time to gel and hopefully figure out the best unit combination 

allen would get several games to see how mccarron prepares and get adjusted to the speed of the game while continuing to work on his footwork and accuracy.  

Here's a fact: we could have moved up and drafted the consensus worst QB prospect in the country, the one that no one in the business thinks is anything other than horrible...

...and a majority of this message board would support the pick and start to convince themselves that the player is going to be great.

These Allen discussions here are not about football or a football player.  They are about human psychology.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say this about Allen...at the very least I feel better about him as a prospect than I did about EJ when we drafted him...I realize it is probably not saying much, but I had to compare him to somebody and EJ was the last QB we drafted in the first round, and he completed around 65% of his passes his senior year...at least Allen looks like he throws a football better than EJ.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It shows you that he didn't play well to start. He wasn't "ready" day 1, and yet he magically became ready later which is the very thing you said never happened. QB's often times sit on the bench and then play well after time (Aaron Rogers) and QB's often times struggle on day one and figure it out later (Peyton Manning). 

It didn't ruin Manning, but that doesn't change the fact that starting too soon can hurt a players future because it can build tendencies and habits within the game that are necessitated by survival which are not good for his overall game. It's called training. 

Does your view on this transition seamlessly to other professions? 

Gotta get in there on day one and perform heart surgery. Can't learn heart surgery if you don't do heart surgery. 

Gotta get in there and fly that plane. Only way to learn how to fly is to fly. 

Gotta go try that case. Only way to be a lawyer is to go and do lawyer things. 

If the coaches think that Allen is ready to start, then he should. But if they think he needs more time to learn and to grow and to improve, then they should let him sit and learn. Trial by fire can work, but blindly throwing a guy into the flames without him being ready is stupid. 

No sitting doesn't help the QB.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm still hopeful about the guy but he's competing against a guy who's been in the league for four years and knows how to play in the NFL. Even the pundits and film watchers who really like Allen say he needs a year or more to develop. Mayock, for instance really liked him but said that the team that gets him must be willing to be patient.

When we drafted him, I was ok with the pick. However, I also lowered my expectations for this coming season, as I really do not expect him to play. And I’m ok with that. Patience...

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Here's a fact: we could have moved up and drafted the consensus worst QB prospect in the country, the one that no one in the business thinks is anything other than horrible...

...and a majority of this message board would support the pick and start to convince themselves that the player is going to be great.

These Allen discussions here are not about football or a football player.  They are about human psychology.

You have a point.  Better to B word and moan about the pick and secretly hope that he fails so that you can be right. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, theRalph said:

It's Monday and the flow of calls bashing the Josh Allen pick continue. I wonder how many of these callers have actually watched the games and the scouting vids and blogs covering Allen. It feels like drought effects on fans still linger, even though the drought is now history. I define fan drought effects as a a predisposition of looking at anything the team does with negativity, because they've become conditioned to it over a generation of no playoffs.

Things have changed. McDermott and Beane in their time so far have done nothing but make smart moves. They have reshaped the locker room. They broke the drought with maybe the last version of the Bills one would have expected. They are certainly and systematically changing the franchise with their process. And yet their selections are being criticized as if they are still Ryan and Whaley. Nix and Gailey. And so on.

I watched everything I could find on Josh Allen prior to the draft and then watched it all again after. He is an accurate passer. Period. Completion percentage as a measure of accuracy is horsecrap. Allen was under pressure a lot. I see dropped passes. And under certain pressure he, at times, takes off a bit early. But he generally moves in the pocket well, with a Brady-esque hop avoiding pressure. He releases a football with up to a 74 mph fingertip speed. His release time is an insane .388 seconds. He does not throw balls in the dirt. He has a great football IQ and has run a pro style offense. He was not in a pass-happy college spread that benefitted the stats of some other draftees - like Mayfield. Allen completed 152 of 270 attempts in 2017 for a 56% completion percentage. Had he completed 23 more of these, he has a 65% average. Over 10 games, that's 2.3 drops per game. I saw more than that. 

The drought is over. Don't look back. Josh Allen, on his way to becoming the most prolific QB in Bills history, will start 9/9/18.

Bash away!!

Allen is not starting game 1. He's likely not starting a single game in 2018. Not because he sucks, but because there is no need to rush him. Fans might be itchy but McBeane don't care.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Here's a fact: Allen could have been the best prospect in the draft and you still wouldn't like him because you can't get over dumb tweets he made when he was 15.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Here's a fact: Allen could have been the best prospect in the draft and you still wouldn't like him because you can't get over dumb tweets he made when he was 15.

If a Bills QB could actually perform at a top 10 pace, I personally wouldn't care if he drinks babies blood or puts a hot tub in his room...

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allen is not starting game 1. He's likely not starting a single game in 2018. Not because he sucks, but because there is no need to rush him. Fans might be itchy but McBeane don't care.

Beane was on WGR this morning and I got the opposite impression from him. He said that it isn't fair to call Allen raw, and that the way he's been characterized in the media is wrong. It sounded to me like he thinks Allen will start sooner rather than later. I mean they found the absolute cheapest backup QB they could and supposedly Allen was at the top of their board, so the plan all along has been to draft him and let him compete for the starting spot immediately. Kelly the Dog is exactly right. He will win the #2 spot right away and I would bet he wins the starting role before training camp is done.

Just so we are all on the same sheet, Beane stated today everything is a competition to include the qb. 

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said Monday on WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo that Allen will begin as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind AJ McCarronand Nathan Peterman, and the trio will compete for starting honors.

The plan isnt to sit him for a year at any cost. Beane was very clear in that there will be a qb competition. 

2 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Just so we are all on the same sheet, Beane stated today everything is a competition to include the qb. 

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said Monday on WGR-AM 550 in Buffalo that Allen will begin as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind AJ McCarronand Nathan Peterman, and the trio will compete for starting honors.

The plan isnt to sit him for a year at any cost. Beane was very clear in that there will be a qb competition. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Thats a thread with everything in it. I devoted a thread to discuss about the qb competition solely. While I understand why you put this here in my thread, I disagree with the premise. I would like to reaf about the qb competition only, not rummage through a ton of posts not dealing with the topic.