Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

True it wasn't the plan prior to the draft.  But again, it wasn't a large investment on their part and he wasn't considered a long-term solution, so benching him wasn't a big deal.

You lost it right there.  They a) were never 1st overall picks, b) never started more than a season's worth of games, and c) haven't been in the league for years.   But I'll take bets on Rosen not starting the season for the Cards, barring injury to Bradford.

Who cares? Jemarcus Russell was too.  Irrelevant point.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Jake Locker

D Carr

Harrington

RG III

I've acknowledged Carr and Harrington already as I'm sure you've read.  Locker and RGIII are vastly more complicated examples.  Locker wasn't asked to start immediately and didn't actually see playing time until Matt Hasselbeck was hurt.  RGIII started immediately and was great but never the same after his injury.

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Because - maybe, just maybe the Bills FO expects the 5th rounder to be the backup for a while.   

Yeah, I get it you and many others don't want him here.  As a starter he sucked, as a fill in he wasn't that bad. 

Oh, please don't say the playoff game because the Hero to many, TT also had an INT, a RAT of 27.2 and a QBR of 44.2 and led the offense to 3 whole points 

It took 4 horrible games in a row for McDermott to make that bad call to put in Nate.    I do not think he's ready to pull that stunt all too soon.  

They have that in AJ. 

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Kelly the Dog reacted to this   -  See I knew I could make you laugh 

Only because it was such a dumb answer. ;)

McDermott to Beane: "But we should play Peterman, AJ will be more expensive in three years."

Beane to Mcdermott: "In three !@#$ing years?! I warned you about Peterman. You're fired."

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2018 at 9:44 AM, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

This post is way off IMO.

1. You dont know if AJ is good or bad yet, so to say he good enough is way premature.  He very well may be a good QB, he hasn't had his shot.  By no means does he have the job locked down, and Beane only confirmed this when he said he wont rule out Allen winning the job.  But to rule him out before they suit up is premature to say the least.
  2. You can cite as many legends as you want as examples of guys who started early, stunk, and got great.  But there are about 50 times more examples of guys who started early and never over came those struggles to reach their potential.  There is no denying that having any young QB sit and learn the game more before being thrust into the lineup is good for their development.  
  3. Allen is a guy they want to bring along slow and make sure he is ready.  They will not feel pressure to start him before he is ready, nor should they.

Bottom line is simple:  Allen, AJ and even Nate will all be battling for the day 1 starting gig in a wide open QB competition.  Its technically AJ's job to lose right now before the balls are in the air, but by no means is he locked in as the starter and it will be an open competition because we dont have a proven starter on the roster, just a guy with potential in AJ, our 2nd year long shot project NP, and of course our new shiny rookie Allen.  

Cleveland is absolutely starting TT over Baker unless Baker dramatically outplays TT in preseason.  Even if they are close, they will start TT at least early in the season just to get Baker some more time to learn the game.  He would have to dramatically beat out TT to start week 1.  Not to mention, Cleveland invested a valuable pick in TT for just this reason.  Jets are also 100% starting McCown week 1 unless Darnold dramatically beats him out.  Both have declared the vets the locked in starters, so it would take a significant performance by Baker and Darnold to change that similar to how Wilson shocked everyone in Seattle and beat out Flynn and Jackson to start week 1.  I do expect both guys could take those jobs over in season next year, but they more than likely will start early in the season.

A couple things that don't get mentioned very often in the discussion of raw physical talent and football IQ, How do players respond under the pressure of the big stage? They 100% know how AJMac responds to that pressure, and possibly have a good idea about Peterman:

- People forget AJ all but had a 4th quarter comeback playoff victory vs. the Steelers (until a fumble and couple of bonehead plays by Burfict and Pacman Jones)

-In Alabama the 3 most important people are the governor, the coach at Alabama, and the QB at Alabama....not necessarily in that order...his entire life is under a microscope.

-AJMac spent college getting cheered, and sometimes booed, by crowds of 100k plus. You gotta have some testicular fortitude to perform on that stage.

I think the powers that be have to take into consideration that an inexperienced QB from a small school may need some time to adjust to the biggest stage in sports.  He has never had 80k people cheer for him or boo him,  he has  never thrown a ball against NFL caliber corners with NFL monster defensive linemen barreling down on him....It may be inconsequential, but it could also give AJ a mental edge in the upcoming competition...

1 minute ago, RollBillsRoll said:

- People forget AJ all but had a 4th quarter comeback playoff victory vs. the Steelers (until a fumble and couple of bonehead plays by Burfict and Pacman Jones)

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Greed, but That's not the point.  The point is that he has been in the situation and performed well in a clutch situation...which the other two have not...could give him an edge is all I'm saying ...

Edited by RollBillsRoll

Making the Case for Josh Allen to Start for Bills in Week 1

On the most recent BillsWire podcast, I threw out the idea of Josh Allen starting Week 1, rebutting the notion that Allen is a project prospect.

Without having thrown a single pass in a Buffalo Bills’ uniform yet, the idea of starting Allen in Baltimore Sept. 9 is a risky proposition for a lot of people. However, let’s entertain the idea anyway because it might not seem as far-fetched as you think.

Most believe free agent acquisition A.J. McCarron is the logical guy to open up the season as the starter. Conservative and realistic outsiders say Allen should sit—at least to start.

Throwing the rookie signal caller on the field too early is an understandable fear for fans, considering coach Sean McDermott unconventionally benched Tyrod Taylor midway through the 2017 season in favor of rookie backup, Nathan Peterman. We all know how that went.
  • Like (+1) 1

Very dislike websites which need to break each thought on it to a different page to get more ads with automatic videos starting (it is interesting that browsers used to have controls to prevent videos automatically or videos entirely but those are gone now).  If I am not going to click on ad on first page and I am not going to click on ads on subsequent pages.

Regarding starting him I think they should prepare packages for Allen to play in and have him play a series when the coaching staff thinks it is a good time based on field position, score, defense, etc but NOT start him game 1.  Make sure it is clear it is not a benching of AJ McCarron but a way to get most out of team.  But at no time should they announce this or show such plays during open practices.

• Like (+1) 2

If there's such a thing as ruining a QB by starting him too soon, Allen's rawness would seem to make him a prime candidate.  Then again, he's used to having unblocked defenders harass him on every play, so there's that.  As for the other guys, I don't consider it a given that McCarron starts over Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jr1 said:

start him and run the ball a lot to take the pressure off 

When they put 53 in the box (well, that’s how it will feel), I’d rather wait.

There’s really no telling what is best until he gets into camp and they see how he responds. My inclination is to wait, and wait, and wait, but if he is ready you go with it. Time and coaching instincts will tell. 

• Like (+1) 2