Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

it is worth noting that AJ's experience edge on Allen is only 5 games

True.  Although years breaking down game film, learning the playbook with NFL coaches, and even running the scout team against NFL defenders playing on "medium low" is said to count in some way.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

Cleveland is going to start Tyrod. Who knows what the Jets will do?

Regardless, those are not two organizations to follow in anything. The Bills need to do what is best for their team and their QB. That might mean sitting for a few games, or the whole year, or that might mean starting right away.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The link above didn't work for me.  I found an interview and this seems to be the relevant quote.  Is there another?

Q: With Josh Allen, do you plan to give him a legitimate shot to win the starting job from day one or would you guys kind of prefer to take that pressure off of him and give him some time to develop?

BB: We’re not going to rush him, but if he somehow wins the job then he wins it. There’s other players out there. There will be 52 other players out there and if they see that he’s clearly the best, I don’t think we could do that. We wouldn’t do that at any other position. We’ll let it go, but he’s got a lot of catching up to do. A.J. and Nathan are a long way ahead just getting in here with Brian [Daboll] when the offseason conditioning program started.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930393/article/bills-gm-brandon-beane-josh-allen-to-begin-as-third-qb

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Why anyone would want the Bills to waste any reps or individual instruction on Peterman instead of Allen, any more than they would on an UDFA during mini-camp, training camp, or the preseason is not only beyond me, it's criminally negligent.

Because - maybe, just maybe the Bills FO expects the 5th rounder to be the backup for a while.   

Yeah, I get it you and many others don't want him here.  As a starter he sucked, as a fill in he wasn't that bad. 

Oh, please don't say the playoff game because the Hero to many, TT also had an INT, a RAT of 27.2 and a QBR of 44.2 and led the offense to 3 whole points 

It took 4 horrible games in a row for McDermott to make that bad call to put in Nate.    I do not think he's ready to pull that stunt all too soon.  

I can guarantee you that Rosen will not be starting day 1 for the Cards, not with $20M Bradford on the team.  Unless Bradford gets hurt before the season starts, which is very possible.

As for Allen, like I've said, with the OL in flux and them needing to develop him, I wouldn't start him until I know the OL is good (enough).

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can guarantee you that Rosen will not be starting day 1 for the Cards, not with $20M Bradford on the team.  Unless Bradford gets hurt before the season starts, which is very possible.

As for Allen, like I've said, with the OL in flux and them needing to develop him, I wouldn't start him until I know the OL is good (enough).

I remember when Matt Flynn was signed by the Seahawks with the idea of him being the starter.  That all changed when Russell Wilson showed up and beat him out.  Likely that Bradford starts, but you never know.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I remember when Matt Flynn was signed by the Seahawks with the idea of him being the starter.  That all changed when Russell Wilson showed up and beat him out.  Likely that Bradford starts, but you never know.

Matt Flynn was making nowhere near $20M for the season and wasn't a former 1st overall pick.   

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His status as a former 1st round pick is meaningless at this stage of his career.

Oh really?  Just how do you think he got at $20M deal?

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ridiculous overpayment for a team with no QBs on the roster.  Easy answer.

Have you given us your well thought out reasoning yet for why AJ will fail?    I asked you politely yesterday to provide one.  (or are you choosing to ignore me?) 

Remember Tygod Taylor also signed with the Bills for pennies on the dollar compared to other starting QB's and when he was due Starting QB pay he agreed to an $8 million pay cut.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ridiculous overpayment for a team with no QBs on the roster.  Easy answer.

True it was a ridiculous overpayment.  But they did it because he was a former 1st overall pick.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A maximum of $26 million, with $10 million guaranteed wasn't chump change, either...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827af666/article/seahawks-qb-matt-flynn-agree-to-threeyear-26m-contract

They ended-up paying him just $8M, spread out over 2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

True.   But that wasn't the plan prior to the draft.   They struck gold with Wilson and the rest is history...

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A maximum of $26 million, with $10 million guaranteed wasn't chump change, either...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827af666/article/seahawks-qb-matt-flynn-agree-to-threeyear-26m-contract

Not to mention that was in 2012. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

True it was a ridiculous overpayment.  But they did it because he was a former 1st overall pick.

So were Manziel and Tebow which shows how germane that is to the decision they made.

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

True.   But that wasn't the plan prior to the draft.   They struck gold with Wilson and the rest is history...

True it wasn't the plan prior to the draft.  But again, it wasn't a large investment on their part and he wasn't considered a long-term solution, so benching him wasn't a big deal.

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not to mention that was in 2012. 

So were Manziel and Tebow which shows how germane that is to the decision they made.

You lost it right there.  They a) were never 1st overall picks, b) never started more than a season's worth of games, and c) haven't been in the league for years.   But I'll take bets on Rosen not starting the season for the Cards, barring injury to Bradford.

Just now, Doc said:

True it wasn't the plan prior to the draft.  But again, it wasn't a large investment on their part and he wasn't considered a long-term solution, so benching him wasn't a big deal.

Sounds a little like Allen and McCarron if you ask me.

22 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I ask this with complete sincerity:  Is there an example that someone can give me of a QB who was highly drafted and whose career was ruined because he played to soon?

Jake Locker

D Carr

Harrington

RG III