Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I basically agree with advocates for the take it slow approach, but I think you're right in your surmise that folks are going to be surprised at how much talent this kid has. 

They are going to see things this kid can do, that they haven't seen around here in a long, long time.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, No Cease Fires said:

I thank that unless Allen is terrible in camp he's going to win the job outright. It doesn't make much sense to sit him just for the sake of sitting him. If he shows he's better than the rest of the crop (which he will) then start him. 

Training camp through pre-season, teams don't game plan and you face vanilla defence.  Allen needs signifcant work, though he has tremendous talent and upside.  Though McCarron is not Alex Smith, I think Allen would benefit from a Mahomes-like redshirt year.  Furthermore, I'd prefer we got our o-line and wr corps upgraded before throwing a rookie to the wolves.  You don't want to David Carr the fella.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The right play is to start the winner between McCarron and Peterman. See how things go halfway through the year and how Allen is developing in practice and in the film room. If Allen is ready, then let him start the last 4-8 games in the season. If he's not ready or if McCarron/Peterman is playing too good to be replaced (best case scenario) then keep his redshirt for the remainder of the season.

The best thing about this 2018 season is that there's no pressure. It's a development year, building for a run in 2019 and beyond.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Training camp through pre-season, teams don't game plan and you face vanilla defence.  Allen needs signifcant work, though he has tremendous talent and upside.  Though McCarron is not Alex Smith, I think Allen would benefit from a Mahomes-like redshirt year.  Furthermore, I'd prefer we got our o-line and wr corps upgraded before throwing a rookie to the wolves.  You don't want to David Carr the fella.

Allen might benefit from sitting but he might benefit from live bullets, too. He's a tough, smart kid and if a rough start ruins his entire career then maybe he was never going to be anything anyway. If McCarron beats him out for the job, great, but I don't want the Bills to be TOO conservative with handling their first rounder. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I basically agree with advocates for the take it slow approach, but I think you're right in your surmise that folks are going to be surprised at how much talent this kid has. 

Based on what exactly?  I've watched several of his games from Wyoming. What i saw was a guy that NOT ONE major college program thought he was good enough to offer a scholarship coming out of juco. 

Also a guy who played against VERY FEW defensive players with nfl talent,  compared to those who play in a power 5 conference. How many nfl caliber corners does he see at Wyoming?

I like the guys measurable s, he seems like a good kid,  and may shock the world, but there is nothing on film that is awe inspiring. 

19 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If AJ starts, Shady will be mostly worthless and wasted. Teams will load up the box and dare him to beat us down the field and he won't be able to for several reasons. Only the monster arm and threat of Allen will back them off.

How is that any different than the past 3 seasons???

Defenses were saying “make Tyrod a QB”.   

Any form of a passing game will help.  

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How is that any different than the past 3 seasons???

Defenses were saying “make Tyrod a QB”.   

Any form of a passing game will help.  

They werent putting 8-9 in the box at all. And when they did it wasnt to shut down Shady, it was to have a spy on Tyrod to watch him. Shady had two great seasons because Tyrod was such a threat to both run, scramble and throw deep. AJ does none of those.

27 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Based on what exactly?  I've watched several of his games from Wyoming. What i saw was a guy that NOT ONE major college program thought he was good enough to offer a scholarship coming out of juco. 

Also a guy who played against VERY FEW defensive players with nfl talent,  compared to those who play in a power 5 conference. How many nfl caliber corners does he see at Wyoming?

I like the guys measurable s, he seems like a good kid,  and may shock the world, but there is nothing on film that is awe inspiring. 

Alot of NFL teams apparently saw something good.

7 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

Wanting allen to start day 1 is asinine and irresponsible.

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

Mayfield will start day 1.   No doubt. 

No way he sits for a year unless somehow McCarron leads the Bills to an 8-2 start or something.  I'm going to predict we see him no later than Game 9, probably a few games earlier. Today's CBA means 4 years of team control with a decision on a pricey 5th year option right after that - there's no redshirt years anymore.

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They werent putting 8-9 in the box at all. And when they did it wasnt to shut down Shady, it was to have a spy on Tyrod to watch him. Shady had two great seasons because Tyrod was such a threat to both run, scramble and throw deep. AJ does none of those.

We don’t know what AJ can or can’t do yet.    

I have a strong hunch that he will be better than Tyrod “running” the Bills offense.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

I expect Cleveland, NY Jets to do the same with their guys. There is going to be growing pains, no matter if you start him now or a year from now. You need in game experience. These guys are top ten picks and you draft someone that high to play.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Steve Young (who sat behind Montana to "develop"), Troy Aikman, Andrew Luck, etc. All had bad first years, if it goes that way for Allen it's no big deal.

McCarron and Peterman are not good enough to not throw Allen out there right away.

You expect Cleveland and the NYJ to do what they’ve said they’re not doing? 

Look, there’s no one way to bake this cake. If he starts he starts. If not — fine. We’ll see him next year. 

37 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No way he sits for a year unless somehow McCarron leads the Bills to an 8-2 start or something.  I'm going to predict we see him no later than Game 9, probably a few games earlier. Today's CBA means 4 years of team control with a decision on a pricey 5th year option right after that - there's no redshirt years anymore.

That's where I land. I don't think he starts right away. But he will at some point, unless McCarron is really on a roll. Not holding my breath. Given our brutal road schedule early, probably the best plan is to let McCarron weather that storm, and then, if Josh is making good progress with the offense mentally, get him in there - somewhere in mid-season.