RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

remember last year when McBeane sent Dareus, Darby, and Sammy packing?

Everyone went nuts. TANKING!

Yet they go 9-7 and break the drought. The defense was much improved. Guys like Poyer and Hyde, who were thought of as fine but unspectacular veterans, come in and become fantastic players for the team.

MAYBE (just maybe) the people running the show are smart and good at evaluating talent. Don't forget it's not just Beane, he stocked up the front office as well.

I'll trust them, since they had enough conviction to go get Allen, over some whiny talk show hosts on WGR any day. If you want, you can find plenty of "smart football people" who like Allen too. Simms and Kiper are just a couple, for what it's worth (which isn't much to me).

We have some "smart football people" running this team now, I think.

2 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

Any easy way to confirm this is look at other QB's completion % in that offense. Nic Shimonek, this years QB in that offense, had a 66.5% completion %. That is one thing that people don't seem to understand, so much of completion % is the offense you run. Allen may very well struggle with completion % in the NFL, but it is erroneous to think a guy like Mahomes won't because he had a high completion % in college.

But he has Andy Reid (one of the best qb coaches in the nfl), a year of sitting and learning under Alex Smith, & one of the best skill groups in the nfl.  If situations were reversed, I’d feel better about Allen.  

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

remember last year when McBeane sent Dareus, Darby, and Sammy packing?

Everyone went nuts. TANKING!

Yet they go 9-7 and break the drought. The defense was much improved. Guys like Poyer and Hyde, who were thought of as fine but unspectacular veterans, come in and become fantastic players for the team.

MAYBE (just maybe) the people running the show are smart and good at evaluating talent. Don't forget it's not just Beane, he stocked up the front office as well.

I'll trust them, since they had enough conviction to go get Allen, over some whiny talk show hosts on WGR any day. If you want, you can find plenty of "smart football people" who like Allen too. Simms and Kiper are just a couple, for what it's worth (which isn't much to me).

We have some "smart football people" running this team now, I think.

Be honest.  We played Jauronball and got lucky.  That was not a good team.

i trust them on defense.  But they been bad on offensive personnel.  The OC choice was a disaster and the offense was brutal at times last year.  

38 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUfvnkiwmds

I like watching his senior bowl highlights, because I feel like this is a game where he had equal talent around him. He shows off an array of skills. Escapbility, stepping up in the pocket, power throws, fines throws. Very impressive IMO

EJ was the MVP of his senior bowl.

32 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

He was not running for his life on most plays. Watched every single pass this guy has thrown. He will not get more time in the NFL then what he had in college. So he needs ot improve his decision making which comes with framiliarity to the offense the Bills design for him.

He throws well on roll outs, so I'm sure there will be plenty of those ealry on. He throws well when given time to. But under pressure he starts to force stuff. 

Allen can develop but that is key he needs to develop.

No food at all. Very different era of football. Does not coorelate into todays game. Back then if you threw for 3000yds 25TDs every season you were considered a cadidate for the HOF. Today you better average 4K yards 30 TDs to be a considered a HOF worthy QB

However playing Devils advocate so did EJ. But Overall I do agree overall I did like what Allen was able ot do in the senior bowl

We must be watching a different Allen. He has horrible pass protection.

17 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

MAYBE (just maybe) the people running the show are smart and good at evaluating talent.

Yeah, but we're TBD - we're smarterer and the best damn talent evaluators, working for free, on the Internet!  :beer:

I know who's opinion I'm going with...

Just now, Sky Diver said:

We must be watching a different Allen. He has horrible pass protection.

I guess so because I saw a QB who had some time to throw most plays .  It wasn't the best but it was not horrible.. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

EJ was the MVP of his senior bowl.

I wasn't really talking about him being MVP, I am saying from evaluating that game, Josh Allen looked he didn't have any of the "knocks" given to him. He looked impressive. I didn't watch EJ in the senior bowl, but I see absolutely no similarities between the two, other than size. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I think you're misinterpreting my comments.  Gunslinger mentality to me means confidence, not recklessness -- as in, if you give me an inch I'm going to beat you.  Fitzy's confidence is misplaced -- he doesn't have the arm to back it up.  He's reckless.  The other veteran QBs I mentioned had the goods, and they only "heaved it up" when there were no other options.  Of course the off-balance 50 yard toss isn't something you want Allen doing often; that's where coaching comes in.  But I do love the fact that we have a QB who won't be afraid to fit it in tight windows.  God knows we're all tired of "play it safe" Tyrod.  I'll trade a few picks for a mostly productive passing game.

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan2313 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUfvnkiwmds

I like watching his senior bowl highlights, because I feel like this is a game where he had equal talent around him. He shows off an array of skills. Escapbility, stepping up in the pocket, power throws, fines throws. Very impressive IMO

Without a doubt, the best part was the fine throws.

With no blitzes I discount the Senior Bowl to an advanced scrimmage. But he showed some fine touch in that game - I don't think I saw a ball misplaced, even a little bit. 

9 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Fair enough. 

With no blitzes I discount the Senior Bowl to an advanced scrimmage. But he showed some fine touch in that game - I don't think I saw a ball misplaced, even a little bit. 

I agree, blitzes or not the guy showed he can step up when motivated (in the Sr. Bowl, incentive is showcasing yourself for NFL scouts), whereas some other guys teart it as another game or even with less motivation, because  i.e. they don't want to get hurt, or something. btw At the end of the  game, during his interview, I remember the guy mentioned he wasn't afraid to get hurt, since getting hurt can happen any day in a car crush, or so...I like ihes pose a lot!

17 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Fair enough. 

EJ had a great senior bowl. Its worthless. Practice is everything.

Kirk Cousins, Saquon Barkley among 10 best new additions

RANK 9

Josh Allen, QB, Bills
Old team: Wyoming.

The seventh overall pick in the draft has tremendous upside and the arm to throw through the elements in Buffalo. When ranking Allen here, I'm looking more at the coaching staff and how they're going to set Allen up to succeed. The rookie has a legit chance to be the first starter of any quarterback in this draft class, and he could turn this franchise around for the long term. But he'll need to be put in the right situations and learn quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

I am completely exasperated with WGR550 and especially Pontiff Schopp and his loyal sidekick Bulldog. Bovada released the over/under for the number of games the fresh class of QBs will start. Allen is at the top at 10.5 games. The Pontiff completely dismisses this - because Allen is the least ready to start in the NFL. This is utter horse-hockey.

To wit:

- Allen played in a pro style offense with a lot of power to change plays and call protections. He operated from under center and the shotgun. He was not in a pass-happy spread offense that afforded the many attempts that, say, Mayfield had (Allen 270, Mayfield 440 in 2017).

-Allen was under pressure A LOT at Wyoming with a bad O-Line. And yet he won 8 games in both 2016 and 2017.

-Though WGR looked under rocks to find draft analysts, many premier observers of the game listed him as the best QB (Prisco, Mayock, Phil Simms for example)

-The accuracy question is crap. I watched all his games. He generally put balls right on the receivers unless he was under great pressure or throwing on the run, but sailed balls are few. Watch Wyoming vs. Oregon. There are at least three drops in the first quarter.

Josh Allen is not a messy project. And you're likely a Bills' fan, so you want to know the truth. WATCH THE GAMES. Allen is Money and will start 9/9/18, as I have been maintaining on this forum. And Schopp: Decide for yourself rather than listen to the draftniks. Were they truly excellent talent evaluators - they would be in the NFL and not behind a computer.

Out.

Edited by theRalph
  • Like (+1) 5

The myths I hate are the ones that center around accuracy.....

- When QBs throw a ton of screens  you are gonna have a higher pass completion percentage.....when your offense requires you to push the ball down the field the percentage of those throws is going to be lower.

- Something like 5 draftable players to even come out of Wyoming......and the other top QB's are pulling top recruits like candy......someone has to be there to block for the QB and catch the passes the QB throws

He needs work....I dont think anyone is saying that he doesnt....but yeah

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I've come to ignore schoop as an wannabe analytics-nerd, not unlike the same type of people around here.

they hear "analytics" and think it's the way without ever really understanding what analytics are.

Kind of like ignoring many posts on this board!

3 hours ago, GG said:

This is a very lazy take that does not account for the decision makers exposure to the prospects.   It's beyond laughable to think that Cardale is a better prospect than Allen and basing that judgement because they're the same size.   Cardale was in the Bills' locker room for 1.25 seasons, and Beane probably did a hell of a lot of scouting on him, if you also want to apply the lazy parallel to Cam.  They got rid of Cardale at the first possible moment, because they recognize that you need more than physical traits to succeed as a QB.

I’m not trying to be lazy or claim that I’m an expert. 

I didn’t state Cardale was better,  just asking the group how is Allen better/different than Cardale? 

My overarching point/question is? What exactly did Beane and McDermott see in Allen that made them willing to move Glenn, #12, #53, #56? Was it deeper than he’s tall and played in Wyoming before?

Admittedly, my opinion of Allen is mostly comprised of “expert” opinion, namely Greg Cosell. I did not watch Wyoming Cowboy games. 

The one thing I am concerned about is his decision making, its hard to judge because he had to be WYO whole offense so he forced a lot of throws to make plays but seeing him at the senior bowl with actual talent and coaching around him, he seemed to plat within the O so who knows

the awful throws to the flats/swing passes can be corrected over time

I went back and watched all of the game film from this year and I agree with you guys.  Allen is their entire team.  They run a pro style offense and he doesn't benefit from dinks and dunks.  He even looked good in their blowout loss to Iowa.  I'm not sure he starts over McCarron right out of the gate, but I think he's more than capable of taking the job at some point during the season.  It really depends on how well AJ plays.

• Like (+1) 1