Connor McDermott (Bills OT) on Josh Rosen

Rigotz

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-players-dish-on-these-seven-NFL-Draft-prospects/13403889-1714-4a9c-94a7-bed57dfdf204

This article was posted yesterday on BuffaloBills.com  ... lots of standard player hype stuff, but I thought this quote was interesting:

"Bills offensive lineman, Conor McDermott, blocked for Rosen for two seasons (2015-2016) at UCLA.

In 2015, Rosen’s freshman year, he was sacked the second-fewest times (14) in program history.

“I had him when he was fresh out of high school, so he was real young, but he came in with maturity and worked hard,” said McDermott. “He came in as a leader from the start. He’s just grown with that maturity and leadership during his three years at UCLA.”

Although Rosen is regarded as the purest passer in this year’s draft, some experts have questioned his qualities as a teammate. McDermott was quick to dispel the negative words about his former quarterback.

“I know those negative words aren’t true, because during my two years with him he was very passionate and had a strong love for the game,” he said. “He was just a very smart player. Everybody in the locker room loves him. He’s a great team player.”

I'm sure Beane & Co. are plugging Conor McDermott and his connections for information right now.

That makes me feel better that IF we draft Rosen, we'll likely know exactly what type of locker room presence we're getting. No media BS.

• Like (+1) 1

JOSH ROSEN, UCLA

Kolton Miller, offensive tackle, on Rosen and rumors about his aloofness: "I disagree. Josh came in No. 1 high school guy, a little cocky, of course you hear off-campus stuff about him, but as the years went on he really matured, he's really well-rounded, he doesn't try to be more than what he has to be, a really good leader. I don't really have anything negative to say about him."

Miller on whether Rosen provided strong leadership: "Yeah, I would say so. He always did his work on the field and always off the field. He probably worked the hardest off the field. Really smart guy. Really well respected."

Miller on Rosen's coachability: "There's been some negative stigmas about him. Coming from a player, he's a great player, he does everything right, well rounded, nothing negative to say about him." 

Miller on the rumors of the team not rallying around Rosen: "No, I mean, our offense was a pretty tight clique. I don't believe that at all."

Scott Quessenberry, OL, on how Rosen handles adversity: "He performed great in situations where we needed him to perform great. When our backs were against the wall against Texas A&M, we looked to him to lead us and obviously he did that. I think he threw for over 470 yards, 4 touchdowns, all in the second half. When things go wrong and aren't looking the way you want them to look, Josh is a guy you want to have in the backfield commanding the offense and making all the throws and making all the reads."

Quessenberry on negative comments about Rosen: "I don't know where it comes from. It drives me insane. I have a really good relationship with Josh, and I think he'll tell you the same thing about me and we talk, and for him to get the rap that he gets, it's BS because of the type of guy that he is and the type of standup human being that he is and the type of pro that he's going to be. He's a great dude, I love hanging around him and being with him, and whoever gets him is extremely lucky. They're getting a once in a millennium talent in my opinion."

Quessenberry on getting along with Rosen: "I don't think he's hard to get along with. ... Is he opinionated? Yes. Everyone has their own opinions. Will he waver on his opinions? No. But I don't know when that's ever been a bad thing. Everyone gets along with him, he gets along with everybody but obviously no one in the world is going to see eye to eye on everything, so I don't know where that comes from. It drives me crazy, I can only imagine what it's like for him."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/josh_rosen_and_baker_mayfield.html

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

How do I trust what his close teammate says about him, when posters on this board who have never met him have told me he's nothing more than an "Entitled Liberal Jew Millennial"?

Doesnt add up.

Sad, isn't it.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

How do I trust what his close teammate says about him, when posters on this board who have never met him have told me he's nothing more than an "Entitled Liberal Jew Millennial"?

Doesnt add up.

Don't forget that he 'doesn't fit the culture' and 'isn't McDermott's kind of guy', from guys not in the culture not named McDermott.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Doesnt add up.

Exactly.   

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Doesnt add up.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.

Turkey Pot Pie anyone?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Doesnt add up.

Three OLmen testifying to Rosen's leadership qualities and his merits as a teammate. Three guys responsible for his protection on the field. I take their recommendation above any others. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Doesnt add up.

Oh God not another E.L.J.M.

are there not enough ELJMs in this world already. I just could not stomach one more ELJM

but how fun would it be if we could replace the shout song with Bills version of Hava Nagila everytime we score..

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Three OLmen testifying to Rosen's leadership qualities and his merits as a teammate. Three guys responsible for his protection on the field. I take their recommendation above any others. 

Hmmm.

Still conflicted. The posters all have pretty low post counts too so you know theyre trustworthy. I think theres good people on both sides here.

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Oh God not another E.L.J.M.

are there not enough ELJMs in this world already. I just could not stomach one more ELJM

but how fun would it be if we could replace the shout song with Bills version of Hava Nagila everytime we score..

Take that stuff to Amherst, not Orchard Park!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Still conflicted. The posters all have pretty low post counts too so you know theyre trustworthy. I think theres good people on both sides here.

This level of satire will go unappreciated by those other good people, I'm sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I enjoyed the smear campaign against Rosen, stop with the good press already I want to see him drop to us!

Ya know, when you put it this way... I'm actually for it as well.

I heard he's more of a Guard than a QB!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Doesnt add up.

Why can't he be that and good?

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Don't forget that he 'doesn't fit the culture' and 'isn't McDermott's kind of guy', from guys not in the culture not named McDermott.

I actually do still belive this is entirely possible... but not in a toxic to the locker room way.  

More in a way that McD is as straight laced as they come and I belive that would be what he wants in his QB too

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Great insight, gramps. Way to fall right into that satire.

liberal jew is also redundant 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hmmm.

Doesnt add up.

and he is stinkin' rich and doesn't even like football! he was sent by the hoodie to destroy us! 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I actually do still belive this is entirely possible... but not in a toxic to the locker room way.  

More in a way that McD is as straight laced as they come and I belive that would be what he wants in his QB too

liberal jew is also redundant 

Could be but I also think McDermott is smart enough to be flexible when it benefits the team. That is, I don't think he's picking a lesser rated QB (or rating Qbs lesser in major, board breaking ways ) based on said QB not being 'straight laced as the come', which isn't a typical trait of any young man entering adulthood.

Also....there are some super conservative Jewish folks out there.

1 minute ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Could be but I also think McDermott is smart enough to be flexible when it benefits the team. That is, I don't think he's picking a lesser rated QB (or rating Qbs lesser in major, board breaking ways ) based on said QB not being 'straight laced as the come', which isn't a typical trait of any young man entering adulthood.

Also....there are some super conservative Jewish folks out there.

I met them both too...

On McD- he’s smart, but if my read on his personality from afar is close, his flexibility may be applied to some positions, but not QB because it’s potentially a decade long marriage 

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I met them both too...

On McD- he’s smart, but if my read on his personality from afar is close, his flexibility may be applied to some positions, but not QB because it’s potentially a decade long marriage 

Well there's a LOT more than 2 man, but I get the 'joke'.

I understand that it's considered a potential long term relationship....but unless coach is assuming he's likely picking the wrong guy, he pretty much has to consider every 1st round pick a long term relationship.

The fact that a lot more rides on a QB than say, a CB or a WR, to me means this is where you need to be MORE flexible with your personal feelings and make sure simply you get the best guy. Make "process" points with the rest of the team with the punter or second string safety or something. With Qb...get the best player.

13 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Well there's a LOT more than 2 man, but I get the 'joke'.

I understand that it's considered a potential long term relationship....but unless coach is assuming he's likely picking the wrong guy, he pretty much has to consider every 1st round pick a long term relationship.

The fact that a lot more rides on a QB than say, a CB or a WR, to me means this is where you need to be MORE flexible with your personal feelings and make sure simply you get the best guy. Make "process" points with the rest of the team with the punter or second string safety or something. With Qb...get the best player.

I hear you- I just keep coming back to this being more like a job interview and hiring decision.  

In reality  Very little really separates these guys.  They all were valedictorians of their school so to speak.  And hiring managers don’t look at every candidates pros and cons the same way. That’s all. We’ll see- I’m strictly making a wild speculation based on a behavior pattern and long distance personality read... 

Personally- there is something about him that makes me belive he is the top QB from this draft 5 years from now. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood