Fred Jackson wall of fame or not?

Part of what made Fred so valuable was that he was really good at everything despite not being truly elite. 

Fred Jackson made a legendary block on JJ Watt who was having one of the most dominating seasons ever. He his him so hard his leg became a mosaic of all the shades of purple.

Was his talent the same as Barry Sanders? No. But Barry Sanders would have been destroyed by JJ Watt. He would have cried and retired even earlier. Yet Fred could do it. Fred could do everything. 

To say he doesn't belong on the WOF is just disrespectful of the impact he did have.

5 minutes ago, MarkAF43 said:

I would agree it's a combination. My view is for 7 years that were part of a larger dark period ,Fred gave the fans and the community the dedication daily effort to show how committed he was to helping the team win. For me that weighs a bit more than his stats. The wall is to be a tribute for not only stats but what he was as a Buffalo Bill. To me, that makes Fred a no brainer to be up there. He lit up a dark time in Bills history as much as one running back can do. Carrying out the flag, walking off the field with his son and a family. He was and is one of us. He is symbolic of Buffalo to me and many people. 

I don't disagree with you as a whole.

As I said, I feel it is a combination of stats and all the other stuff.

I think his stats were just not there, at least enough to make him a "no brainer" in my eyes.

KW is a no brainer to me.

As I also said, if Fred was put on the wall I wouldn't fight it, as I said he's borderline to me.

I just don't see him as a "no brainer"

Just now, reddogblitz said:

I consider both.  Put him in.

As do I.

As I've said a few times, I don't think he's a "no brainer" and to me he's borderline.

I also see why people want him up there.

If he gets put up there, great, awesome, high five Freddie.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit by the block that he dumpstered Watt with.

The guy definitely played his butt off.

He was basically "Rudy on the Bills".

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

And when we dumped him a recent Super Bowl Champ picked him up and made another guy change his number so Fred could be #22.

Even though he was a Bill and some of us have Buffalo Bills Fan Inferiority Complex, the man was one heckuva football player IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree with you as a whole.

As I said, I feel it is a combination of stats and all the other stuff.

I think his stats were just not there, at least enough to make him a "no brainer" in my eyes.

KW is a no brainer to me.

As I also said, if Fred was put on the wall I wouldn't fight it, as I said he's borderline to me.

I just don't see him as a "no brainer"

What makes KW a no brainer to you? His stats have never been off the charts so what makes him a no brainer?

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

As do I.

As I've said a few times, I don't think he's a "no brainer" and to me he's borderline.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit by the block that he dumpstered Watt with.

I think calling him Rudy on the Bills is an insult to everything Fred was. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

As do I.

Likewise fine either way. Ultimately it’s less about Fred and more about what you think the wall stands for. Stats he doesn’t make it, embodiment of ideals and he’s a sure thing. 

If being really provocative- I don’t believe he and OJ both belong on it. Either it’s purely on field stats, or character counts. If Fred goes up for being the type of dude he was - I think oj comes down for the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MarkAF43 said:

What makes KW a no brainer to you? His stats have never been off the charts so what makes him a no brainer?

Williams stats are better than Jackson.

12 seasons (167 games) vs 8 (107 games)

5 pro bowls vs 0 pro bowls 

Everything else they are equal on.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Likewise fine either way. Ultimately it’s less about Fred and more about what you think the wall stands for. Stats he doesn’t make it, embodiment of ideals and he’s a sure thing. 

If being really provocative- I don’t believe he and OJ both belong on it. Either it’s purely on field stats, or character counts. If Fred goes up for being the type of dude he was - I think oj comes down for the same. 

I'm good with that.

If we are going to turn it into a popularity contest and a "wall of boy scouts" then sure, Fred's a no brainier, and the juice gets cut loose.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Williams stats are better than Jackson.

12 seasons (167 games) vs 8 (107 games)

5 pro bowls vs 0 pro bowls 

Everything else they are equal on.

I can respect your side. I don't necessarily agree with it but that's fine. You stuck around to defend it. Kudos to you. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Would be a statement by the Pegulas to drop OJ and replace him with Fred.  I know what kind of guy I want representing my team.

However, they won't and I understand why.  OJ was put up for the OJ before the trial.  Not after.

9 minutes ago, MarkAF43 said:

I can respect your side. I don't necessarily agree with it but that's fine. You stuck around to defend it. Kudos to you. 

Thanks dude

I respect all yours as well

I don't think anybody is dumb for thinking he's no brainier

I don't but I get it

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

So Gugny for you and the others saying no.  What do you and the others think are requirements or criteria for someone to be up there? His numbers were there, the fans, the team, the community loved/loves him.  So what is he missing by your standards?

Elite stats.  Being part of a winning team.  I'm taking NOTHING away from what he did.  I still wear a Fred Jackson t-shirt every football Sunday (sometimes under a jersey) religiously.  Love the guy.  But the wall is only so big, man.  We can't just throw sentimental favorites up there, otherwise we'd need the biggest stadium in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Some of yall need to pull your head out of you rstat sheet and watch a game every once in a while.

i agree with this statement. fred was never the fastest guy on the field. or the strongest. certainly not the best athlete. but he was determined. fought for everything he got. gave everything he had. and was the heart and soul of this team for years. he was a great all around back. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Elite stats.  Being part of a winning team.  I'm taking NOTHING away from what he did.  I still wear a Fred Jackson t-shirt every football Sunday (sometimes under a jersey) religiously.  Love the guy.  But the wall is only so big, man.  We can't just throw sentimental favorites up there, otherwise we'd need the biggest stadium in the league.

respectfully, i disagree with this. i think freddy was more than just a sentimental favorite. he was the exemplary overachiever. he and kyle williams are basically folk heroes. those two go up on the wall for what they meant to us, the fans, as much as for what they did on the field. 

Freddy by the numbers might not be eye-popping (he had 4 really good seasons and 2-3 other productive ones) but he was a true underdog who played his heart out and got the most out of his ability. In an era where there wasn't much to root for Freddy was a player that you always enjoyed watching. Fred is a beloved player for good reason and certainly worthy of the honor. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Fred had the stats one year too. Lead the League in total yards, running, receiving and returns.

He was also leading the league in scrimmage yards one year before he broke his leg in week 12 or so. He was having an all pro season that year before the unfortunate injury.

I'm on the fence with Fred going on the wall. He was one of the only bright spots during that era, though. Certainly loved his unique upright running style. He also represented a lot off the field, so I imagine he'll make it. Fred was the heart of the team while here, much like Kyle.

Kyle Williams absolutely belongs, and he has the pro bowls to back that up. One heck of a player and he has been the heart and soul of the team for awhile.

Brian Moorman also deserves it, I think. He was one of the best punters in the league during his time, made all pro, and was the best player on the team. He was also more than just a punter. Great special teamer in general.

9 hours ago, Original Byrd Man said:

I found it interesting that while Murph was emphatic about him being honored Tasker was not.  I always appreciated the heart and dedication he brought to the field and off. 

And who the !@#$ is Steve tasker to say he shouldn't. 

I don't really care whether fred goes up or not, I don't care about what names they decide to graffiti on to part of the stadium. It really means nothing to me. If Fred gets on, good for him, if not... oh well. I think he's going up though

I also think a guy like Steve should shut the !@#$ up regarding this since so many of his fans want to invent a category for special teamers to get him in the hall of fame. Talk to fans of other teams, if it wasn't for his announcing, no one would remember Steve. I'm tired of steve, I'm tired of hearing about Steve and his opinions. He !@#$ing sucked. 

It's like clamoring for Marcus Easley to get in the hall of fame. He was better than sorry ass white guy !@#$ing Steve. !@#$ Steve. I didn't see that rant coming, but it happened.

Edited by Ol Dirty B