O-Line

Griff28

Obviously not ideal but right now you could go -

Dawkins, Groy, Bodine, Ducasse/Miller, Mills/Newhouse.  Add any pick and/or free agent to the mix.

Bodine and Newhouse both started every game in which they were healthy last year.  Draft two guys and add a vet or two down the road and it's not too bad.

• Like (+1) 1

That's the plan for now I am sure.

Oline is important for sure, but you can stitch one together and make it work. Teams have to do it every year because of injuries.

I do hope and expect that we invest serious draft capital, including high picks, in the oline over the next few years. We need a total rebuild besides maybe Dawkins.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Griff28 said:

Dawkins, Groy, Bodine, Ducasse/Miller, Mills/Newhouse.  Add any pick and/or free agent to the mix.

Bodine and Newhouse both started every game in which they were healthy last year.  Draft two guys and add a vet or two down the road and it's not too bad.

To be honest, on paper it looks like a sh** show.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Look at my post about the great Bills golden year offensive lines.   I added up the "draft value points" needed to build those lines that helped the team/QB/RB (oj) look so good.   We have about a tenth of that invested in our present o-line.  We are far away from being there. Think of the offense  as a couple of numbers multiplied together.  ( QB ) x (o-line) x (skill players wr/rb/te)=  your offense.   If QB is 3.5, but the o-line is 0.25..... you don't have much.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Having a pocket QB behind the present OL is risky until it jells. I would not even play a high drafted rookie QB until the OL is working . 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

A poor OL will make a good QB like Luck or Eli look bad or get injured. 

A scrambling QB like Lamar or Taylor would have a better chance.

Edited by ALF

I'm guessing Miller was screwed over by Dennison's silly run blocking scheme, but is a talented player.   I trust Greg Roman's assessment more than Rick Dennisons, so my sense is the guard position is in decent shape .  Groy to center, Miller back to starter and you have a starting lineup today that is decent.  

48 minutes ago, ALF said:

Having a pocket QB behind the present OL is risky until it jells. I would not even play a high drafted rookie QB until the OL is working . 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

A poor OL will make a good QB like Luck or Eli look bad or get injured. 

A scrambling QB like Lamar or Taylor would have a better chance.

About 25% of the Bills running yards came from the QB.  That is not a healthy number.  Also some of Shady's best runs were to get 3 yards by avoiding a LB in the backfield and making something out of nothing.  We can also argue whether it was because TT was unable to see receivers and took off after 3 minutes standing in the pocket or was it because he was running for his life and took off.   Other teams figured that TT was not going to hurt them with is arm and put a spy on him and went for containment rather than stuffing plays.  That gets you cheap yards but leads to stalled scoring drives.  Running QB's get hurt. Single wing tailbacks get hurt. ......... I don't think the Bills line was as good as the numbers suggest- and certainly will not be for a non-running QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Griff28 said:

Definitely not ideal, but I don't understand why some fans are panicking following the Incognito retirement. Sure, it was out of left field, but it's not like the writing wasn't on the wall already. The FO made him take a pay cut for this year anyway, which means their position was "you can play with us for less or not play with us at all." They weren't planning on bringing him back after 2018 any way. 

With that being said, I'm pretty confident that they were already looking at interior OL in this draft, considering:

- Wood already retired

- Incognito wasn't coming back after this year based on having him take the pay cut

- Miller's and Groy's contracts are up after this year AND both of their worth in holding starting positions is based on whether or not Daboll runs a power based blocking scheme as opposed to the zone based scheme that made Miller especially look like trash.

I'm hoping for a big jump from Miller. Honestly, I was looking for it once we hired Daboll and word was we planned on a power blocking run game. Ducasse also did much better later on in the season. 

Even after losing Wood and Cogs, I still think RT is the weak spot.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have serious work to do with this O-Line.  They needed a guard and a tackle BEFORE losing Wood and Incognito.  Now they are in what I would call desparate need.  The offense will not perform on either the ground or the air with this line.  For me, it now becomes a #1 need!

it is not a disaster but it probably is about 20th in the league.  I think if they keep any of the picks they will add a guard 

dawkins groy bodine rookie mills

newsome 

McDermott   free for all for the right tackle 

11 hours ago, Griff28 said:

giphy.gif

Losing Incognito hurts, but the line has been worse before.   

I have to plead ignorance on Bodine and Newhouse, they seem to have plenty of starting experience, but how good are they?  Unless they are notoriously bad, Dawkins, Bodine and Newhouse would be 3 of the 5 spots. 

Groy and Ducasse are servicable and Miller could rebound with a new offensive coordinator.   Add a couple of draft picks to that mix, and it may turn out decent. 

46 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Losing Incognito hurts, but the line has been worse before.   

I have to plead ignorance on Bodine and Newhouse, they seem to have plenty of starting experience, but how good are they?  Unless they are notoriously bad, Dawkins, Bodine and Newhouse would be 3 of the 5 spots. 

Groy and Ducasse are servicable and Miller could rebound with a new offensive coordinator.   Add a couple of draft picks to that mix, and it may turn out decent. 

Ducasse is servicable is a generous grade.  I think Bodine is maybe a C minus starter.  Folks on these boards who seem informed were opining that Newhouse is terrible.  I am hoping, based on not much, that Connor McDermott will be a step up at RT.  Definitely need a few fairly early draft picks devoted to oline.  It would help if we can get the qb in the 6 to 10 range and keep most of our draft picks.

Edited by Dr. Who

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Ducasse is servicable is a generous grade.  I think Bodine is maybe a C minus starter.  Folks on these boards who seem informed were opining that Newhouse is terrible.  I am hoping, based on not much, that Connor McDermott will be a step up at RT.  Definitely need a few fairly early draft picks devoted to oline.  It would help if we can get the qb in the 6 to 10 range and keep most of our draft picks.

If Bodine and Newhouse are poorly rated that is a different story.    Some high draft picks on the oline may be needed then. 

6 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

If Bodine and Newhouse are poorly rated that is a different story.    Some high draft picks on the oline may be needed then. 

My computer glitched.  Sorry about the double post.  Fixed it. 

I am relaying the evaluations I read on the board by folks who seem insightful to me.  I personally don't know about Bodine and Newhouse.  I am pretty confident Ducasse isn't any good.  I am sorta hoping Miller rebounds.  If it was a system fit problem, maybe we will find a way to maximize his potential with the new OC.

Edited by Dr. Who

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Certainly work to be done, but O line play around the league isn't very good

Any idea why?  Rule changes, player development at the college level, just not enough big guys with requisite athleticism?  Is there something about this era of football that makes it harder to find o-lineman?  

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Any idea why?  Rule changes, player development at the college level, just not enough big guys with requisite athleticism?  Is there something about this era of football that makes it harder to find o-lineman?  

Part of it is the college offenses.  Not much running game, and with spread offenses they don't really learn how to get out of a stance to pass protect.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MJS said:

That's the plan for now I am sure.

Oline is important for sure, but you can stitch one together and make it work. Teams have to do it every year because of injuries.

I do hope and expect that we invest serious draft capital, including high picks, in the oline over the next few years. We need a total rebuild besides maybe Dawkins.

Teams that have stitched up OL's are generally losing teams.  That's just a fact.  I've accepted that the Bills are in rebuild mode and whoever the QB is will be running for his life a lot.

Edited by NewEraBills