Baker Mayfield

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I was listening to the Colin Cowherd show this morning and he had Joe Banner on and I thought he had an interesting take.

First of all, back in 2014 he was with the Cleveland Browns during the draft process, but left the team before the NFL draft.  Banner specifically said he was shocked when the Browns ended up drafting Manziel because during the draft process, which he was a big part of, they saw ALL the red flags having to do with Johnny Football, refuting Manziel's comments on the DP show yesterday, but apparently the owner just stepped in and made the call.

BUT THEN ALSO

When asked how he would rank the QBs in the draft class this year, he specifically brought up the 2 character traits for a QB he deemed most important: Accuracy & Smarts.

And he brought up Baker Mayfield and Baker Mayfield alone. 

I'm worried he might be the 1st.

1) Mayfield to the Browns

2) Darnold to the Giants

3) Rosen to the Jets

That's my nightmare scenario.

If that happens, I really really really really hope we don't make the mistake of trading up for Josh Allen and if we have the choice at 12 between Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, I really really really hope we take Jackson.

What's frustrating about this whole thing is the Jets sitting at three will most likely land one of Mayfield or Rosen.

Mayfield and Rosen are the safest picks.  I like them both.  Darnold and especially Allen are risks, but I would still take them.  I think those of you who are convinced Allen is destined to be a bust are far too confident he will fail.  I think there is a reasonable chance he will succeed and possibly be very good.  Team that drafts him better slow cook the development, though.  If you're not committed to that, don't draft him.  

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Mayfield and Rosen are the safest picks.  I like them both.  Darnold and especially Allen are risks, but I would still take them.  I think those of you who are convinced Allen is destined to be a bust are far too confident he will fail.  I think there is a reasonable chance he will succeed and possibly be very good.  Team that drafts him better slow cook the development, though.  If you're not committed to that, don't draft him.  

Why?

Other than his physical traits, what about Allen makes you think there's a reasonable chance he will succeed?

As far as I know, there literally hasn't been an NFL QB prospect who played at a small school against weak competition and had a poor completion %, mediocre stats, and didn't improve year by year and went onto a successful NFL career since Brett Favre, and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

You'd have to go back to Phil Simms in the 1979 draft almost 40 years ago to find a QB who checks all  those boxes, was drafted in the top 10 and went onto a successful NFL career.

So honestly, what about Allen makes you think he has a reasonable chance to be successful?  I ask because I'm terrified we might draft him and it would be helpful to delude myself we made a good pick sooner rather than later.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why?

Other than his physical traits, what about Allen makes you think there's a reasonable chance he will succeed?

As far as I know, there literally hasn't been an NFL QB prospect who played at a small school against weak competition and had a poor completion %, mediocre stats, and didn't improve year by year and went onto a successful NFL career since Brett Favre, and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

You'd have to go back to Phil Simms in the 1979 draft almost 40 years ago to find a QB who checks all  those boxes, was drafted in the top 10 and went onto a successful NFL career.

So honestly, what about Allen makes you think he has a reasonable chance to be successful?  I ask because I'm terrified we might draft him and it would be helpful to delude myself we made a good pick sooner rather than later.

I was persuaded by Bandit's arguments. If he is right, Allen's problems are correctable.  He has experience with a pro-style offense, reads the field well, and is intelligent.  He is not truly a qb with intractable inaccuracy issues, but it will take time.

Whether it's Mayfield or someone else, I want a QB that can make reads, audible at the line, be very ACCURATE, anticipate a WR open, get passes to all levels of field to multiple receivers, know how to change a protection play, lead the team in the 4th Quarter down 4 with less than 2 minutes and SCORE a TD!! I don't care if it's Allen or Mayfield or friggen Big Bird, but I want the Bills to figure out this QB puzzle permanently ( ok - quasi-permanently because obviously you can't have an 80 year old man in a wheelchair passing the football - although he might be good enough on 'roll-outs')....

I'm not sold on Mayfield due to his incredible Offensive line giving him yards of protection that he won't get in the NFL and I'm not sure that in a collapsing pocket he'll be able to get the ball out - BUT, obviously there ARE QBs in the NFL with less than ideal height and they're doing it well...that said, just figure this damn thing out!

Oh, and the Draft needs to be here and done already....I'm going to need (more) medication. 

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'd like to see how many bubble screens he threw out of play action. 

I'm talking about in general. I take his stats with a grain of salt. People praise him for his stats in the same way they knock Allen for his. Need to go a step farther and examine the tape for the true story

Edited by kdiggz

10 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Whether it's Mayfield or someone else, I want a QB that can make reads, audible at the line, be very ACCURATE, anticipate a WR open, get passes to all levels of field to multiple receivers, know how to change a protection play, lead the team in the 4th Quarter down 4 with less than 2 minutes and SCORE a TD!! 

You and every GM in the NFL ?

Also, the talk of Baker and the screens - doesn’t everyone know we don’t throw screens? ??

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Heitz said:

You and every GM in the NFL ?

Also, the talk of Baker and the screens - doesn’t everyone know we don’t throw screens? ??

You're right but I should have also said, I could care less about "big arm" if it doesn't translate to winning games.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:32 AM, BigBuff423 said:

You're right but I should have also said, I could care less about "big arm" if it doesn't translate to winning games.

And that's why McB wouldn't touch Allen with a 10ft pole....If we can't land Darnold or Rosen at 2 than maybe Mayfield falls to 7 or 9?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We are all about to enter rehab 

I'm {::KayCeeS::}, and I'm a QB Draft Junkie.

::i said it::i'm not ashamed::

There's things I cannot control, I know that.

Like who we draft.

<<cringe>>

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

On 4/3/2018 at 1:22 PM, Elite Poster said:

He was drafted in 05. That's over a decade ago. It hasn't happened successfully forever. The only guy recently who is yet to be determined is Mahomes, who I think will be good fwiw. 

Kind of the shining example of why it does work.  Does the 2 year gap really matter that much?

Tony Grossi is an ESPN  guy in Cleveland (he’s like their version of Rodak). He told a story on radio last night about the Cleveland airport when Baker was leaving his visit. He said that he demanded a first class upgrade, but then all his credit cards were maxed out. He finally got his upgrade when one worked. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tony Grossi is an ESPN  guy in Cleveland (he’s like their version of Rodak). He told a story on radio last night about the Cleveland airport when Baker was leaving his visit. He said that he demanded a first class upgrade, but then all his credit cards were maxed out. He finally got his upgrade when one worked. 

College guy without Rosen's family. It will change soon though. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

College guy without Rosen's family. It will change soon though. 

He’s pretty well off fwiw. Father owns one of the largest financial firms in Texas. I’m not condemning him, just a story.

he grew up similarly to Rosen 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17284078/oklahoma-sooners-qb-baker-mayfield-used-defying-critics

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s pretty well off fwiw. Father owns one of the largest financial firms in Texas. I’m not condemning him, just a story.

he grew up similarly to Rosen 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17284078/oklahoma-sooners-qb-baker-mayfield-used-defying-critics

I stand corrected. Anyway, I'd love it if the Bills were able to get him.